rx-7 when do cats start to fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rx-7 when do cats start to fail?

does anyone know when the stock cats on a 90 n/a rx-7 should start to fail or get plugged up? ive got 100,000 miles on them and the car is starting to act funny (rough idle , no power)

The cats have been plugged for awile probabbly rotary do this very quik it seeems. I have owned 2 FCs and both were plugged when i got them.

Comment

yea both of my FC have had clogged cats, it is pretty common un bolt them and take a look.

Comment

I took mine off. The Rotaries run really rich upon startup and add that to the high temps and god help if anything else is wrong and you get some stopped cats.

Never liked cats anyway.

Comment

Im with you guys they suck, I just got rid of them on my GXL intell i got my Periphrial Port then it was 2 2 inch pies all the way back

Comment

thanks i think ill try and get the pre scilencer replacement and header or something

Comment

Clogged Cats??!!

Humm Well good thing i never ran into this problem..=)
              I owned total of 8 rx7's in my lifetime and never had a clogged cat.Mabey you all need a tune up..?Well whatever it is damm sucks..Yes just replace it with a straight pipe exhaust system or just hollow out the cats(remove some packing material.)I did this to my GTUs because I wasn't going to spend 200-400 on a exhaust system to make my car faster or to unclogg my cats if that were the case.I bought my car for 400..YES 400 for a GTUs =)Also if it's a reocurring problem , mabey your motor is blown . Smoke from oil that comes from either a worn O ring or a Apex seal will cause residue to build up on the cats then eventualy clogg it.Also I don't think a rich fuel mixture will be too much of a problem but it's a lean mixture that will cause a hotter exhaust temperature to actually melt the cats packing,then clogging it.So hey this is my knowledge with clogged cats.. =)
              Last edited by JunpoweR; 02-13-2004, 03:38 AM.

Comment

I dont know if you can still get them but, back in the day there was a "convert a test" as it was called, and it was a straight pipe that fit in where you cat was, and it had sensore bungs if needed. I think they were car specific, so if you could find one of these you could swap out the cat for just a few 20s.

Comment

Working...
                X