tire fitment/stretching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire fitment/stretching

wondering if ill be able to fit 215/55/17 on 17x9s? looks like I may have to stretch them, but I'm not sure. also, how do you guys that run stretched do it? bead blaster?

they will stretch to fit. a bead blaster is like a sand blaster, it just uses glass bead instead of sand to remove paint or whatever... so no you dont want to use that to make your tires fit

Comment

I mean like, at my work, belle tire, we have this thing called the cheetah and we use that to get the bead seated on tires its hard to, would I use that, or is there another method?

Comment

why? do you not like contact patch?

Comment

Holy tall sidewall, those are gonna feel like *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*...

Try putting them on like normal, but blast the air in if your machine has that option. That size should go on easy, especially with that shitty of a sidewall.

Comment

buy tires that fit the wheels.

There is a trick you can do with gasoline that will seat the bead, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

Comment

with gas prices being so much don't use gas... And using gas seems hard to applicate and light.

Use brake cleaner, it should be wherever you are mounting your wheels. Its easy to spray and easy to light. Just spray some b/w the wheel and tire not on the wheel or tire. Not a lot just like 1-2 seconds, doesnt even have to go completely around. Then do like I know every one of you has before shoot a ball of flame into the wheel. It should pop and seat, in some cases you need to kick it. If it doesnt work the first couple times you probably need to get some fresh oxygen in there. Keep in mind the blast is not gonna be strong enough to fully seat the beads and you will need to pump air into the tire right after it pops.

Now for 215s on a 9 you don't need this. Especially with a big sidewall like that. Its only really necessary when you have a really stiff sidewall, or you can't get a good enough seal around the wheel (tires are stretched and air is leaking somewhere).

I used it on a 225/40 on a 10. First time I mounted them it was fine, but after sitting on there for a while it stretched the tire so much I couldnt just blast the air on.

So we tried the flame method, scared at first but it was the only thing we could do and I needed to get the tires on.

Since then we had to use it on 255/35/18s on a 10.5. Sidewall was too stiff.Did another 225/40 on a 10. And a 235/45/17 on a 10.5, tire was all sretched.

Now this doesnt work on all stretches. Tried it a while back with Pfieffer and the Enjulku guys on a 195/50/15 on a 9. Could not creat enough of a bang to hit both beads. So for that setup we use a cheetah. The cheetah holds about 150psi and blasts it all at once. Its a pain in the *Censored**Censored**Censored* when you have a weak compressor cuz it takes forever to refill. Simply fill it up put the tire on, mount it on a tire mounter. Put the cheetah at like a 45 degree angle to the wheel. Simultaneously blast air (helps if you have a machine that blasts from bottom also), and blast the cheetah. Cheetah will push you back but don't let it push you back too much or you will waste the air. Continue to pump air until it fully seats.

After all that mess you have this:

Comment

thanks for the help

only using the crappy tires because they were free :P

Comment

With a sidewall that big its gonna be easy man. Its when you get to like 40 series or 35 series, then its tough. I just take it to a shop with a high pressure machine. But if its 45 or bigger then we can do it with a regular tire machine, a rope, and a metal bar. There is a technique, gotta hold the tire at the right spot when you blast the air. So far the biggest stretch we've done with our ghetto rope method is 235/45/17 on a 17x9.5 When we wanted to do 225/45/17 it was a no go, so took those to a local shop to be stretched.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                    With a sidewall that big its gonna be easy man. Its when you get to like 40 series or 35 series, then its tough. I just take it to a shop with a high pressure machine. But if its 45 or bigger then we can do it with a regular tire machine, a rope, and a metal bar. There is a technique, gotta hold the tire at the right spot when you blast the air. So far the biggest stretch we've done with our ghetto rope method is 235/45/17 on a 17x9.5 When we wanted to do 225/45/17 it was a no go, so took those to a local shop to be stretched.
                    You should be able to get a 235/40/17 on a 9.5 with no tricks. My friend at a discount tire did it in no time. Just leave no big gaps and blast. And like I said earlier a 225/40/18 went on a 10 the first time no problem..

Comment

depends on the drop center on the wheel. most reverse mount whels air up huge stretch no problem. Wheels with a dual drop are harder though but 215/45-17 air up no problem on a 9 you will be fine with the 55. I have seen 205's on 9's and personally put 225 on a 10 that was a 225/40-19 or 20 cant remember now but it was like zero sidewall. reverse mount though so it aired up no problem. Only a small drop on the back and the rest sealed on the barrel.

Comment

if you need the cheata on that, you suck at life.

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
                          if you need the cheata on that, you suck at life.
                          Amen mah brotha hah!

Comment

its easy.....BUY TIRES THAT FIT

Comment

Originally posted by brainfood
                              depends on the drop center on the wheel. most reverse mount whels air up huge stretch no problem. .
                              hallelujah!!! FINALLY!, someone who has a brain

dude, i work at a wheel/speed shop, and you dont know how many times i see threads "will a ____ tire fit on a 9 inch wide wheel???" or "whats the smallest tire i can fit on my 18x10's"... AND EVERYTIME, i say ,you show me a pic of th outer barrel and i can tel lyou exactly what will work!!! they never do it, oh well

other things to consider when stretching, sidewall effects the stretch greatly.... a 265/35/18 will be more stretched (or at least look more stretched) than a 245/40/18 (assuming you are using identical brand/make tires) on an 18x10.5 due solely to sidewall!!!

my greatest conquest was a 225 on a 18x10.5 3 piece (meaning the out barrel only gave an inch max on each side on the actual 18 inch rim, the 17 inch part was 9 inches wide, now, you might say.... "bob ive seen a 225/40 on a 10.5, whats the big deal???", well. we did it all by hand, no combustables, no cheetah, in fact, we had to mount the wheel to the tire with raw muscle because the shop was closed!!

pics

i also did a 205 on a 9 the other day, but it was on one of those cheap nismo sportmax knockoffs, and the valley on those wheels are all of 2 inches long so its cake, imma try a 195 when he comes back

ultimate would have to be seeign a 265 on an 18x13, thats incredible

Comment

Working...
                              X