toe plate questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toe plate questions

when setting toe w/ toe plates, or a toe bar, even if the rack was centered, you could have positive toe on one side, negative toe on the other (of same axle) and still come up with a reading of zero toe if the toe in and out were the same on each side, is there any way to prevent this?

toe plates measure total toe in/out, what i mean is there anyway to measure just one wheel at a time to 0 it out that way?

Comment

didnt want ot type it all so I copied it from another site

One-person toe measurement:

This is considerably more hassle, but there are several ways to do it. You can set up two strings parallel to each other and to each car's centerline, and measure from the strings to the front and back edges of your wheels. (Setting up the strings takes from 20 minutes to over an hour; once they're set up, checking the toe takes about one minute to do all four wheels, unless you trip over the strings, in which case you have to set them up all over again.) I hate this method.

A method I like better is to drop a vertical (using a plumb-bob) from the centerline of the front and rear of each tire (do the rear, too, while you're at it. Yeah, even if it's non-adjustable -- might as well check it, because this will tell you whether your frame is straight, so it's a good thing to do on a new car). Make a mark on the floor of the garage below each tire centerline. Now drive the car away and draw lines all over the place and measure all of them: you can get front track, rear track, right and left wheelbase, front and rear toe, and diagonals between the tire centerpoints. Comparing things like the diagonals and the right/ left track will tell you how straight your frame is.

Comment

i thought of this method (for getting to 0 toe total, and on each side)
        wheels must be straight rack cenetered etc first
        first just use the toe plates like normal, on the outside, and set them to zero toe, then put the toe plates on the inside of the wheels on the same positioning wheel to toe plate wise, then cross measure toe plate to toe plate, if the corners are the same each way, and the regular method is the same frnt and back, the the toe would have to be at 0, total, and for each corner, but this is jsut in my head, it could not work due to the limited space on the inside of the wheel, or maybe cross measuring wouldnt work or something.

i just got an alignment from alex p, and i need new tie rod end links and a rear wheel bearing, so i think ima do that, realign it with my tools and ideas best i can, then drive it up and see if hell check it, and if its good, done, and if its bad, fix it. sure ill have to pay him for the time either way, but atleast ill know the alignment is legit regardless

Comment

try that

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Se...e_Properly.pdf

Comment

ya i read that before, the string method seems like it would workidual wheel for each indiv, to do each side first then use toe plates to work across, but i have no idea lol. i think while having toe plates against the wheel, then get a 2x4 and place that flat against the toe plate to make it longer, then just eye ball it for toe in/out on each side after 0ing it with toe plates.

Comment

pick an exact spot on the front on the tire(s) and measure the distance, then measure the back distance...then change the toe untill they are both the same length ...maby that will work?

Comment

well that is like using toe plates, it would be 0 toe total for that axle for shure if the measurements were the same but not neccesarily for each wheel

Comment

true...but after you do that take it to a good align shop and they can then tell you your toe and camber. then go from there..

Comment

i just got a camber/caster guage for the other variables in alignment tuning. it seems pretty easy to use. my cars too low to make it up an alignment rack, plus i like being able to change my alignment acurately whenever.
                    ive wanted alignment tools for a while, then this kid wanted a clutch installed, so my friend and i said we would install a clutch in return for this tool, done.

Comment

DIY for the win

Comment

Working...
                      X