240 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240 help

heres the skinny, i got my old s13 240sx back(92). So the motor has a bad clicking noise in it when started. I know the oil pump is dying. And my mechanic said he believes the throw-out bearings are gone. I know the dreaded chain problem is not causing the clicking. So im tearing it down and i need some help. The knock sounds like taking 2 aluminum baseball bats ad slapping them together. the sound is coming from the lower part of the engine. I havnt gotten to the bottom yet so was looking for an idea of what im about to find. Also does anyone have a good pic of where my timing gears are supposed to be positioned? you know that little dot on each one. where do they need to be positioned in relation to each other?
    SR20DET will be in the car in 2 months but i want the KA as a back up so i need to get it running. Thanx for any help peace.

pic of me tearing it down and my "Dookie" JDM pose haha i was bored and it was late
    Attached Files

Comment

it sounds like rod bearings to me....would have to hear it, but the dreaded knock sound could be that. My friend spent 30 bux to get new bearings and replaced em. Quieted the car down, but the damage was already done. Try pulling out one sparkplug at a time while engine is running and repeatedly put it in/pull it out to see when the knock starts, that will tell you which cylinder

Comment

pull the motor mounts and drop the pan and do a visual. rotate the crank and look for play and or trashed rod end caps. Also you can check the mainberrings as well.

Comment

thanx for the ideas Next weekend i will have time to finish up the search(work owns me).. thanks again buds.

Comment

Working...
          X