ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

welded diff Q's (for people that have used welded)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welded diff Q's (for people that have used welded)

I'm not here asking for your opinion if i should get welded or not. I've read plenty of threads, dont tell me to search, I'm asking what i couldn't find from searching. I dont need you to warn me about anything, criticize anything. I'm simply seeking information from people that have used a welded diff. thank you.

1. Rain
    I've heard many different things about weldeds in the rain. basically, if driven slowly and carefully, can a welded be handled in the rain? I would have no problem changing my out for a spare in the winter, but everytime it rained, swapping would become a problem...

2. Drivetrain
    I've also heard mixed things about drivetrain stress with low speeds. With a relatively low rwhp car, (<250), how likely is a welded diff to break an axle or anything daily driven?

3. Freeways
    A welder told me that if a diff wasn't properly balanced when welded, it would act unpredictably at freeway speeds. However, i've never heard any talk of balancing in any welded differential discussions, and track speeds match freeway speeds sometimes, and people seem to love their weldeds.

that's all i can think of at the moment, thanks in advance

1) dont drive like an idiot on public roads in the rain and it will never present a problem

2) its as likely to break stuff as any other differential

3) probably true, but it would have to be very improperly welded to present any big problem. if its welded properly it shouldnt present any problem.

Comment

exactly what i was looking for. thanks mike

Comment

for question 2 that doesnt depend on power it depends on how sticky or large your tires are, low grip tires you wont break anyting since the diff can overcome the tires grip by itself, but throw slicks on and you'll start breaking the weak points in your drivetrain

Comment

... my buddies diff exploded out of his rear case he was daily driving too on a freeway........

Comment

Originally posted by Piner
            for question 2 that doesnt depend on power it depends on how sticky or large your tires are, low grip tires you wont break anyting since the diff can overcome the tires grip by itself, but throw slicks on and you'll start breaking the weak points in your drivetrain

it does depend on power

it does depend on how sticky and larg your tires are

it does not depend on if it is welded or not.

a welded differential will put just as much stress on a drivetrain as a 2 way.

if it is PROPERLY welded, you will rip the teeth off your ring gear and destroy axles and spider gears well before you break the welds.

weak points on s chassis

axles
            ring gear

past this point if your breaking stuff you shouldnt have an r200 back there anyways, and there are people running 9's on r200.

also my ls1 240 i compete in FD with has a welded diff, that has survived the whole season, on 275's

Comment

Originally posted by D1 DRIFTER
              ... my buddies diff exploded out of his rear case he was daily driving too on a freeway........
              did you mean to say

Originally posted by D1 DRIFTER
              ... my buddies diff exploded out of his rear case because he had someone weld the diff that didnt do it right........
              there, i think thats what you meant.

Comment

^ LOL

1. Rain
                Welded diff can handle anything is driven carefully. I've never had a problem with it whatsoever in the rain because im not an idiot and floor it through corners.

2. Drivetrain
                never had my axles break on me.

3. Freeways
                I've had ZERO problems on the highway. I've hauled *Censored**Censored**Censored* on the high and haven't spun out of control or anything close. It's perfectly fine for daily driving...just dont drive like a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* tard

Comment

i have had my diff welded and i used a 200amp mig welder.
                  i have put 2000 miles on it and welds are still their.
                  the only problems are wheel hop at 10mph and under(5mphs wheel cherps).
                  and the output shaft seal leaks, but have never broke an axle.
                  it sucks for daily driving but fun for drifting

Comment

I have had no problem with mine and I welded it myself. I thought it would have major balance issues but I guess not.
                    so, welded diffs are fun in the rain, will cause (like Mike said) drivetrain issues like a really good tight LSD but this depends on tire size and or compound, and so represent no problems on the highway if your car is properly alinged and you are running matching tires on the back. matching being your left rear is the same tire as your right rear tire. a 205/50/15 and a 215/55/15 will cause issues on any car and will be greatly amplified with an lsd or welded diff.

Comment

Welded diff for close to 2 years now. No problems anywhere, little wheel chirp but who cares? Infinite lock! Freeways speeds?? No problem there... 120+ stilll rides like im doing 90mph. Rain?? Never had a problem as long as you dont floor everywhere you drive, youll be fine.

Only problem with welded diff, its a pain in the *Censored**Censored**Censored* to move the car when the motors not running :-p
                      Last edited by HasNoTiresLeft; 10-01-2006, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X