ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do Datsun 510 owners exploit the 240sx engine better than acutal 240 owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do Datsun 510 owners exploit the 240sx engine better than acutal 240 owners?

I've been scrolling down the 510 boards, and I'm seeing some neat stuff--- dual carbs, individual throttle bodies, and NA engines built for 250hp.

I'm really interested in this stuff, and I might buy a 240sx and build a 180hp~200hp NA engine. It seems like it's exactly what I want..

Has anyone else gone this route?

very few have... if you check out like nico and other 240 forums and suggest what you just did this will be the response..

*scoff scoff* thats stupid its impossible to make make a ka24 get more then like 180 hp at the wheels NA. You need a (insert turbo engine of there choice.. KA-t SR20 or RB20/5) oh yeah and there usualy pretty arragont about there engine choice.. you know cause they have the 1 true way to make power..

personally when im good enough i want a rb25 in my 240sx.. however i think all engines are great and it comes down to personal preference, i've said time and time again im sure its very possible to with some cam and head work get a really nice NA ka24 engine making in the area that you want. It would be great for driting, especialy if you could do it on the cheap, meaning less then a turbo kit or engine swap.

I dont beleive you need ot make huge powers to drift, especialy with a 240sx thats been lightened enough. a broad power band of a built NA ka should be pretty cool.

If i had millions of dollars to waist i'd buy me one of those pipe benders and a dyno and spend days trying to find just the right exhaust and intake sizes to make a KA really scream..

Anyways just a thought. If you deside to go the NA route let us and especialy me know how it goes. And hell do some dyno runs and make the other 240 guys shut up.. Also on this forum a few days ago was a post about a 3 inch exhaust system for a sr20 that made like 12 horse power on a stock KA. deffenately worth looking into.

Comment

You wanna put up some links to show what you're talking about, because I want to see that.

But to answer your question, main reason is they dont have to pass emissions. I can't carb my engine because it has to pass emissions and I wouldn't have a clue as to weather it would pass or not, and then what would I do if it didn't? It's not impossible to make 200 hp N/A from a KA, just no one has done it in a street car. The SCCA(I think its them anyways) have 230hp N/A carb'd KA engines in their race 240s, I would say that's over 200hp. Is it realistic? No, but it can be done. High compression, carbs or ITBs, lots of tuning, cams, head work, all those things could make 200 no problem, it's just cheaper to go turbo. Theres a guy on NICO forum making 17? with mostly bolt ons, don't remember what else, but that equates to almost 200 crank hp. Headwork, custom intake, other stuff could make up that extra 30hp. Mostly people don't do it because they don't have the means, the money, or emissions.

Comment

You make good points, but the problem with KAs period, and this goes for all 240sx, is ALL of the ways to make big power, heavily modified KAs, Turbo KAs, RBs and SRs, and even CA swaps are smog illegal.. Ill dig up that link in a moment..

Comment

Originally posted by raging panda
          You wanna put up some links to show what you're talking about, because I want to see that.

But to answer your question, main reason is they dont have to pass emissions. I can't carb my engine because it has to pass emissions and I wouldn't have a clue as to weather it would pass or not, and then what would I do if it didn't? It's not impossible to make 200 hp N/A from a KA, just no one has done it in a street car. The SCCA(I think its them anyways) have 230hp N/A carb'd KA engines in their race 240s, I would say that's over 200hp. Is it realistic? No, but it can be done. High compression, carbs or ITBs, lots of tuning, cams, head work, all those things could make 200 no problem, it's just cheaper to go turbo. Theres a guy on NICO forum making 17? with mostly bolt ons, don't remember what else, but that equates to almost 200 crank hp. Headwork, custom intake, other stuff could make up that extra 30hp. Mostly people don't do it because they don't have the means, the money, or emissions.

My 92 frontier truck( KA24E) has carbs on it, and it passes emissions in california. I was thinking that maybe i could swap the factory carb assembly when it came to Smog tests.

I'm not going for 200hp+ at the wheels; I'm aiming for 180-200 at the fly

if works out to be 2000 dollars or under, then I'm going to go for it. I hate turbo's, I hate dealing with turbo lag, Complicated FI systems, complicated piping and vacuum lines, Turbo timers, and all kinds of other garbage..

If I wanted a drag racing monster or if I wanted to even drag race at all, I would have bought a camaro. i'm not trying to impress people with HP numbers, I just want to have fun driving.

I took a look at many of the Japanese Itaken AE86's many of which were street cars and most of them ran Carbs.

Comment

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

check out the dyno results of that exhaust! deffenately a first step to a 180+ hp goal...

oh yeah and that KA has 190+ k on it.. Actualy im reading furthr he talks about 1 other mod he has, but i dont see it mentioned, Im going to assume intake.. and if not, then holy *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* how much more power will an intake make with an exhaust that large.

Comment

Did that frontier come with carbs stock? Wow, thats pretty cool man. On the exhaust, I don't know how well that would fit on a frontier, but at least you know the KA will take a 3" pipe and get you something like +12hp. I have gone back and forth about turboing or N/A on my KA, turbo is cheaper so thats probably the way I'm going, and it's not all that complicated, but since you already have the carbs, put some high comp pistons, they make cams, headers, and other stuff for 240 KAs except i'm not sure how the header would fit the frontier. 180 crank can definately be achieved just with boltons. Maybe the 240 CAI fits, and the cam.

Comment

Originally posted by raging panda
                Did that frontier come with carbs stock? Wow, thats pretty cool man. On the exhaust, I don't know how well that would fit on a frontier, but at least you know the KA will take a 3" pipe and get you something like +12hp. I have gone back and forth about turboing or N/A on my KA, turbo is cheaper so thats probably the way I'm going, and it's not all that complicated, but since you already have the carbs, put some high comp pistons, they make cams, headers, and other stuff for 240 KAs except i'm not sure how the header would fit the frontier. 180 crank can definately be achieved just with boltons. Maybe the 240 CAI fits, and the cam.

I was going to use this setup on a 240sx actually... i think that i could just lie and tell the smog center that I got the carbureted engine from a newer frontier.. As long as I have a 89-92 240sx, it might work.

-zeta

Comment

the trucks are Port injected. They don't run a carburator. That poster is mistaken.

I have a '91 Pickup myself, and it's definetly fuel injected.

Comment

I was actually thinking that but didn't pipe up cause I was too lazy to look it up. If anyone wants to swap a carbed motor in your car you will have to meet emissions standards for the car you currently own, not the engine you are swapping from. Carbed engines will be hard pressed to meet the standards for a 240. Especially in Cali.

Comment

Originally posted by '97 S14 SE Turb
                      the trucks are Port injected. They don't run a carburator. That poster is mistaken.

I have a '91 Pickup myself, and it's definetly fuel injected.

you know i never really took a good look at it before.

but the lack of a fuel rail, and the top mounted air filter led me to believe that it was carburated. It's my dad's car, and he told me it was carburated.

ah oh well...... swaping carbs to fuel injection around smog season would be just as impractical as swaping engines. I guess my na 240sx is a dream differed

Comment

Well thats the problem all 240sx Owners have, making big power and passing smog... Wether its a turbo, a engine swap or a mean NA setup, none of it will pass smog.

Comment

most people with 510's only swap the stock KA in their cars and do minor upgrades since the KA cant really get anymore power out and the fact that 140hp for a 510 is quite enough......

Comment

Ha ha ha. Alex and his shameless plug for 5zigen. You know he works for 5zigen right nissanguy_24? I've got the exhaust and it's a good exhaust. Looks good, can't see the tip at night (hopefully reduces chances of it getting stolen) and it's damn quiet.

Ever check out the Nissan Motorsports KA24E? I know that thing's supposed to run in gt3 and it's all motor. The parts cost a fortune but looks like it'd be hell on wheels. I think courtesy parts sells the parts needed to make the beast. Not confirmed but I've read that the motor makes ~250 and revs to 9k. Sounds pretty damn sweet to me.

Comment

haha i wasnt aware of that.. man this is a old thread though.

Comment

Working...
                              X