SR20det Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR20det Smoking

Hello, can anyone one give me any ideas on why my Sr20det redtop is Smoking(white smoke) when i start it. It just all of a sudden, i drove it, parked it, started it 2 days later and the engine began sputtering and spitting out white smoke. so I decided to change the spark plugs and they were black as night, checked my gas pump, checked almost all the wiring...but nothing helped. What can it be? the last time i drove it, it ran fine. HEEEELLLPPPP!!!!! PLEASSEE!!!!

where do you live?

Comment

turbo going bad? headgasket gave out?

edit: any coolant in your sparkplug valley?
      Last edited by markeese180sx; 11-11-2006, 09:32 PM.

Comment

ummmmm valve seals.....

Comment

mine is doing the same thing... except only at idle 15% of the time. i figure my problem is a headgasket bout ready to pop.

Comment

does it go away when you drive? does it get worse when you floor it? are you running a SAFC or the like? is smoke pure WHITE or slightly blue or grey? Are the plugs shiny gooey black? carbon black? smell like fuel? more info would get you a better answer without someone actually looking at it.

my car lets out tons of greyish smoke when I let it idle for a while after running it hard, but I am not losing coolant, so I believe its my turbo seals

Comment

Hey fellas, thanks for replying,

Well, starting from first question down, I'm located in huntington beach,Ca.
              Okay, It's spitting out white or grey smoke, tough to tell. When i changed the plugs, after my car took a dump, the plugs were black (old plugs) and a lil shiny. My car has always ran rich, so yes there is the smell of 91 octane. I don't have a AFC or SAFC. It feels like i'm losing compression. My car was running fine until the day i started it up. It does get worst of course when i try to floor it, (didn't want to screw things up any more then it was). I think all questions were answered. Just curious, if it's a head gasket, how hard, from 1 to 10, is it to fix? Valve seal? I'm an amatuer when it comes to mechanics. Any help would be great. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

anyone? Help ca...r... dy...ing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Peters View Post
                  where do you live?
                  Huntingto beach, Cali

Comment

If you haven't already try doing a compression test to possibly rule out or find out if it's your head gasket thats going out. I would also advise doing a leak down test as well to see if your valves are bad. Hope that helps any.

-Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Momentum_GT View Post
                      If you haven't already try doing a compression test to possibly rule out or find out if it's your head gasket thats going out. I would also advise doing a leak down test as well to see if your valves are bad. Hope that helps any.

-Jon
                      hey ya, when ya say valves, what does that mean and what does it do? And what are turbo valves? man, this is though work.... when doing a compressin test what exactly are we looking for here? leak down? thanks everyone. great info so far....

Comment

do A leak down test and also a compression test... also it could be that your piston rings are shot.does it smell like oil or coolent??

Comment

Originally posted by K's Factory View Post
                          do A leak down test and also a compression test... also it could be that your piston rings are shot.does it smell like oil or coolent??
                          Smells like gas mainly. and maybe oil? it's tough to tell. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by markeese180sx View Post
                            turbo going bad? headgasket gave out?

edit: any coolant in your sparkplug valley?

Hey markeese or anyone, would you happen to know how to figure out if the turbo is going bad? Thank you

Comment

usual signs are oil in your intercooler pipes, smoking on take off, loud noise coming from turbo and low boost, shaft play in wheel

Comment

Working...
                              X