intercoolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intercoolers

ok i have seen a bunch of BS flying around the bords about intercoolers and setups and styles..

here is the DL
    size...this is so easy its hard...you want the intercooler to be big enought to cool down the incoming air charged but not so big that it takes for ever for the turbo to pressureise and cause lag...the bigger the IC the more the lag...so its a ballancing act thats why its hard..

placment...depends on the car and its use
    FMICs are good because they get the direct air flow over it...so it provieds better cooling..down side is that it will block the air(in some cases) to the radatior...but more importen is the fact that it taks hella long pipes from the IC to the turbo and throttle body...the longer the pipe the more turbo lag cause it takes longer for the turbo to build pressure in a larger amount of air..

Top mount...OEM is Toyota GT+4(alltrac), FC3S Turbo II and others.. great cause they have shorter plumbing to the IC and great for rally cause you dont have to worry bout rocks and stuff punching holes in it... but prone to heat soak fromt he motor if run to hard/long and this will reduce the cooling of the intake charge...

V mount: best of both workds..has direct air flow from the front...and short pipes to the IC..but there down side the the price....all custom work to mount the IC and the rad.

there are others...and such but that should give ya an idea about intercoolers, well enought to make a educated choice about whats best...also in the state of CA you dont have to worry bout the CARB on them...and ICs are free..

I think the CELICA ST205 GT4 has the best setup for intercooler. It's top mount but also watercooled. If i'm not mistaken, the ST165 and the ST185 also have the same setup but smaller intercooler.

The downside to it is that the size is small and will be beyond efficiency level at high boost. Also, the water line could leak under high pressure and cause a lot of damages to the electricals.

The Nissan SR20DET in GTiR has big top mount intercooler and ARC also makes thicker top mount intercooler for it.

I'd say top mount but for big hp, front mount would be the answer.

-R32GTST-

Comment

V-mounting also takes up a good amount of room. Great if you have it, bad if you don't... With the majority of RWD cars, there would be little reason NOT to do a V-mount. If you have a grinder and a welder you could do 90% of the fabbing yourself. If you don't, you can draw up what you need and have a machine shop make you some brackets or weld you up some pipes.

V-mounting with the Radiator at the bottom and using the stock rad cap is a gauranteed way to get air-lock when re-juicing the coolant system. Also be aware that if you have a fan that is pulling air through the rad in the down directtion that it will hinder your downforce a little...

I'm a proponent of the top-mount with a duct to vent the warmed air. The "side-top" mount is easiest to duct right up to the plennium and then to duct out to a fender vent. Short charge piping, good flow, and it looks like a air box inlet to the untrained eye...

-MR

Comment

Yep

Well ima Run a Greddy FMIC 2 row
        instead of a 3 row.

less air space = less lagg =)

im only going for about 300 RWHP max from my 90 TURBO II
        Yea who wants lagg.But for more power some sacrafice is ok but balance is better.If you run anywhere above stock boost , more than 2-4 psi then really get a new INTERCOOLER!!We all know making more boost means more heat.which means higher tempeature intake charge.So you do need better cooling of the Intake charge to avoid detonation.or a lean mixture..
        Last edited by JunpoweR; 02-13-2004, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X