• Time
  • Show
Clear All

its for sale

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2461183887

Comment

Re: Sr20det powered Rx-7? -Possible?

Originally posted by Norcalidrifter
      I recently picked up the modified magazine and It had a rx-7 with a sr20det engine in it. I heard people saying that rotor engines are hard to maintain, but I think we have a solution! I am just wondering if you guys think its easy to do or u need a real good technician to do this....
      I have seen one for sale. It can and has been done by a none pro shop or however you want to put that.

Comment

Its for sale???!!! WOW that was quick. I guess he has more plans. Cool!

Comment

Crazy

Comment

More like dumb. If I ever ran across that guy.....

I didnt know we were talking about an FD. I had seen red tops in FCs....Thats just dumb....

Comment

the question of feasible? vs. why bother? comes to mind, If you build a rotary the RIGHT way then they can be as reliable or more reliable than a piston engine hp for hp, but the same can be said about just about any motor, if you treat it bad or do something half-a$$ then it's gonna blow up, plain and simple. Most people that build 7's never port the engine or add thicker apex seals or for godsakes replace the oil seals. They just throw a buncha mods at it and not even think about the internals ,or so I've read in almost every article that's written about a street driven RX7. then again I may just be talkin outta my a$$.

Comment

No, good post, I am actually glad you posted this. You are exactly right. There arent many mods necessary in making a great rotary engine but you do have to use your brain. Almost any engine can be great, that is why I hate many swaps (especially like this), but you can't half a.. it....ever. Grooving the water jackets is smart too.

Comment

Anything is possible with money. However, everyone that has owned a 7 will tell you that the rotary engine is a key signiture to an RX-7. Kinda like the anology: Mario Brothers is to Nintendo. When you hear a rotary come around the block, you know its a 7. No other engine hums like a rotary. Its like a pride thing; it sets you apart from the crowd. No longer are you known by your first name, but you are now known as a rotor-head!! You're one of a kind amongst most enthusiats. Isnt that special???

Comment

Rotary accually qualifies as a religion...

I saw a picture one time of a tattoo that had a cross-section of a rotary in the guy's chest, and a intercooler on his stomach, with one turbo at each shoulder...

If you want an RX-7 but don't want to destroy a rotary engine and know piston engines, a SR20 RX wouldn't be a bad thing once you get past the blashpening part.

-MR

Comment

Don't have specific weight figures on the SR BUT you can bolt in an LS1 and save 40lbs. So the Rotary isn't that light with the twins on it.

Comment

this tread is bunk someone got this shite from a mag(modified mag)i just happenned to see it in a magazin thats all,sr powerd x7.its axceptable by my standards they said it is like 60pds. lighter that 1.3L

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                          Don't have specific weight figures on the SR BUT you can bolt in an LS1 and save 40lbs. So the Rotary isn't that light with the twins on it.
                          We talking a ls1 with no accessories on it. PS, AC ect.. versus a fully stock twin setup?

that i can probably see. Or else those turbos have to weight ALOT

granted your the rotary guy me. but im just trying to understand this.

Comment

there was once a red top powered Fc that made the treck all the way from philly pa to irwindale for last springs D1 driver tryout. it was the black fc there with the ten pt cage and bronze volk gram lights

Comment

Everything in the above statements is true. It is very possible to build a nice, dependable rotary in an FD. But you won't be using twins and it will take some work and someone knowledgable to do it. See THAT is the main problem. Finding someone knowledgable that can do it for you. Rotaries are definatly a religion, more like a cult. As with all cults, they are not that widespread. So finding someone in say, armpit Arkansas to build you a Rotary when you find this killer deal on an FD is going to be nigh impossible. I lived in Atlanta and finding one there was semi-tough. There are some good places in Atlanta but I can only think of 2 right off the top of my head. So in a city the size of Atlanta, I can only think of 2. So that gives you an idea of everywhere else.

Most of you guys live in California, where Rotary folks are more plentiful. Here it has to be shipped a mimimum, of 300 miles to find a shop that is recognized. Sure there are people that have shops in their bakyards but to get someone big, it has to be shipped. Pettit comes to mind in Winter park Fla. Think they moved though.

But anyway, now maybe you see the mindset of someone who would build a hybrid. If I could buy an LS1, get it put in for less time, trouble and save weight, run higher numbers and get more reliability with an engine that I knew how to work on. You bet your rear end, I would do it. That's how 95% of the population thinks. Bubba from Stathem GA don't give 2 shakes of a sh!t about keeping that "Funny Rotor thingy" in that engine bay. All he see's is a car that looks like a "Vette" and he can put one of them thar "Rat Chevy's" in it and make it fast.

I subscribed to that school at one point too. Whatever made it fast was the way to go. Sacrifice everything to make it fast. Now though I have modified my train of thought. I want to keep my Rotary and therefore am going to attempt my rebuild myself. Hell, if I screw it up, I can always bolt an SR into it

Oh and the Twins are HEAVY. Not as heavy as you would think but with all the crap that goes with em, PORKER!!!

Comment

*hugs Ghost*

But I know you didnt say this. "Hell, if I screw it up, I can always bolt an SR into it ". I hate SRs worse than I hate domestic iron. Not that I hate domestics but apparently as a drifter I am supposed to.

Comment

Working...
                                X