Lightweight Seats for Drift or Grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight Seats for Drift or Grip

Since this is a generic part I figured these might be worth sharing with everyone no matter what you do with your car or what make it is... Here's a few pics of the new seats we just put into our Mustang:

They are made by a company called The Joie Of Seating based in Concord, NC. For those of you out there that watch NASCAR, the companies owner Randy LaJoie is a multiple time Busch Series Champion and Nextel Cup driver so he knows a thing or two about what a driver wants in a seat. He and all of his staff bent over backwards to help tailor these seats to suit our needs and after hanging out at their shop during this building and mounting process, I get the feeling that's how they treat all their customers (and I thought I was special). Bottom line is they took great pride in their work and I believe they really do care more about safety and customer service than simply making a quick buck...

For me the beauty of these seats is that they offer me more protection, are more comfortable (since it was custom fit to my exact measurements) and give me more support than the OMP seats that we took out. You can see the "Armco-ish" looking guardrail that wraps around your shoulders. This piece is said to be a huge reason the occupant escapes injury in a side impact. The angle of these guards also allow you to have unhindered movement of your arms as you're "sawing at the wheel". Add to that they are (to the pound) half the weight of the OMP's that were made from fiberglass.

These were the first ones they have made for a Drift/Road Race application so they are currently doing their market research and deciding at what price point they will offer them at. I'm expecting the price to be a good bit more than a fiberglass seat but substantially less than a carbon seat...

Another good thing about these seats is that they can be removed very quickly, far faster than the OMP's that were "floor" mounted. The LaJoie seats are installed with 4-bolts, 2) behind your shoulders and 2) under your thighs. We were able to re-use the front mounts on the floor but I cut away (which took a good bit of time) the rear portions and then we weld in threaded bungs in the shoulder bar of the cage as well as adding a seatbelt pivot bar behind the drivers seat to keep the belts and my shoulders properly aligned.

All and all I couldn't be happier with them as I had a chance to try them out last weekend at a local test event. Between the side support, the built in Lumbar padding and the mounting position of them I think these are going to be in my car for a long time. I also suspect when more road racing type folks get a chance to try them, The Joie of Seating is going to be very successful with this new version of their seat...

Hope this was helpful,
    DV
    Last edited by DV19; 07-21-2007, 10:45 AM.

those look great. you need to wrap your cage in that fabric.

Comment

haha that is definitely some P.I.M.P. fabric there Doug

Comment

That's so hot. can they do pink?

Comment

Originally posted by soultron View Post
          That's so hot. can they do pink?
          They can do whatever color you want My Brotha....

Comment

WOW

those look horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
              WOW
              those look horrible.
              Well... Ok.... not very insightful since you didn't point out anything specific but that's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'd have to say though that I and everybody who's seen them disagrees with you 100%... Remember this is in a dedicated track car not a boulevard cruiser so the raw/business like appearance of these seats suit my car and probably any other car with a striped-out interior very well.... Truth is though the point of this thread wasn't really to get anyone's thoughts on how they look anyhow. It was to show people that there is a better (lighter, arguably safer and more custom) alternative to what's been offered up until now..... but thanks for playing......

Since we all have our own idea of what looks good (for proof just look at all of our "significant others" or how we dress) I'll just reiterate saying these are the most safe and comfortable seats I've ever sat in and I am thrilled to have myself and my passengers sitting in them.... O' and did I mention they took nearly 20lbs out of my car vs. my old fiberglass racing seats....

Comment

don't say that there safe unless you do some testing. I know that bride states that any person over 220 lbs. shouldn't use there seats.

Comment

Originally posted by DV19 View Post
                  Well... Ok.... not very insightful since you didn't point out anything specific but that's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'd have to say though that I and everybody who's seen them disagrees with you 100%... Remember this is in a dedicated track car not a boulevard cruiser so the raw/business like appearance of these seats suit my car and probably any other car with a striped-out interior very well.... Truth is though the point of this thread wasn't really to get anyone's thoughts on how they look anyhow. It was to show people that there is a better (lighter, arguably safer and more custom) alternative to what's been offered up until now..... but thanks for playing......

Since we all have our own idea of what looks good (for proof just look at all of our "significant others" or how we dress) I'll just reiterate saying these are the most safe and comfortable seats I've ever sat in and I am thrilled to have myself and my passengers sitting in them.... O' and did I mention they took nearly 20lbs out of my car vs. my old fiberglass racing seats....
                  Brian hates everything. Don't worry about it. If you don't wear fake Elvis masks, break parts off your car or aren't out there to look cool, he won't care. Function means nothing, at's all about looking cool.
                  Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 08-01-2007, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X