mods necessary for drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mods necessary for drifting?

I know this is probably an opininated question but oh well. What mods are really required to drift "safely"? as in keeping the engine cool, upgraded brakes, suspension, lsd, clutch, all that. here are some of my mods that matter and im wondering what else i can get o help benifit my car.
    -Ogura twin plate clutch
    -Tomei 2-way LSD
    -Tein Flex Coilovers
    -Greddy oil cooler
    -HKS boost controoler
    -HKS injection pulse monitor
    -Mines racing ecu.

I have a front mount and BOV on the way. anything else that is really essential? thanks in advance

-Joe

what car are you running?

Comment

get a bucket seat. that helps the most.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
        what car are you running?
        ummm, i think 93soarerTT might have a 240sx... or maybe a Soarer?

As for your question, all you really need is a good LSD and some decent suspension (i.e. coilovers). then you might want a better radiator since drifting puts alot of strain on the engine with bad airflow. then, like stan said, get a seat. that's a huge help!

Comment

Brakes are always a good idea. The more horsepower you make, the more stopping power you're going to need. Also, a roll bar/cage would be a good idea. Not only will it make the car more likely to protect you in the event that crap hits the fan, but it will help the overall rigidity of the car and the way it handles. Good racing harnesses are far superior to standard seatbelts in the event of a crash, especially in an older car where the nylon/latches/mounts might be getting worn.

The cage and harnesses aren't really all that expensive, either. I've been looking at a cage for my Camaro for a while and the kit is only about $250 from Summit Racing. The problem would be finding someone to do a quality install as I can't weld to save my life.
          Last edited by Soldat; 09-27-2007, 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

If you want to drift safely, the first modification should start with your brain.

Don't be a danger to yourself and others first.

If and when you plan to buy other equipment, learn how to install them properly. I don't know how many times I have seen people install their safety belts the wrong way.

Naoki
            www.driftday.com

Comment

1. general maintenance
              2. general maintenance
              3. general maintenance
              4. im a fan of coilovers, DECENT tires (as in like new touring tires on front, free crap on back, what i really mean is dont run r compounds on the front) welded diff and radiator as a starting point.
              5. ls1

Comment

yea i have a toyota soarer, with the 1jzgte. i have the tomei 2 way lsd, good tires in front and run shitty ones in back. i forgot to mention i have sparco seats and sabelt harnesses. ive been looking for a cage, but cant really source one for my car. ill look into some new radiators..

-Joe

Comment

As I'm sure you know, there are a million things that can help you or your car drift. But not much is absolutly necessary.
                  What driftday said is EXTREMELY true. Don't go our and start drifting through intersections. Chances are you'll end up busting up your car, or even worse hurting an innocent bystander.

But all that's really required is a rear wheal drive car preferably with a manual tranny. If it runs, doesn't have flat tires, has working brakes and won't kill you if you do happen to hit something is all you really 'need' to drift safely.

I personally say track time and/or autocross time is a must before you really should start even trying to drift.

Comment

Hey guys I once asked daijiro yoshihara himself about what would I need to do to get into drifting and here is the full quote.

Well, I think there are many defferent way.
                    But my way was buy cheapest drfit car and go touge and have practice as much as you can.
                    Somepeopole say, you should buy decent drift car first. Cuz that would be easier to learn drift. That is true.
                    But I'd rather spend money for gas than bodykit or any other expensive parts. You just need LSD and coilover. What if you crash the car which cost like 10k. You might not have money to fix. So,my oppinion is just get cheapest car and put just LSD and coilover. Then you dont need to afraid to crash. I mean, less afraid... You need to crash to know what is the limmit. So, I crashed thousands times when I was beginner!

Thats how I did and how I will do if I go back and do it over again.

I hope it would help you.
                    Good luck!

-dai

He basically says hit the touges not this track b/s take it slow to learn your pace and save your money by buying a cheaper car here in America if your a low budget guy your options for common drift cars are the ae86 and Silvia's with the ae86's you can get one for about $2000 and the Silvia $5000 these prices may change but at the time I bought my 86 I only spent $2000.

Beyond what the Dai man said I would say you do the modifications below to your car. Keep in mind that myself I am a high school student who does not need a daily driver I drive to work and run the touge's on the weekends. I performed the below modification with the understanding that I am using my car to learn how to drift and I am pursuing a professional drifting career someday.

Modifications :
                    Taking out interior panels
                    Stripping sound proofing
                    Fitting racing seat ( 4 pt harness )
                    Disabling my SRS air bags and putting in racing steering wheel
                    Welding support braces (roll cage)
                    Coil-over
                    LSD

Removing the SRS airbag feature is not recommended unless you have had your roll cage, seats, steering wheel, and 4pt harness installed professionally no exceptions because if you run the mountains or the street without having the assurance of knowledge you risk serious injury or death the truth is your actually safer with the racing setup than with your normal seatbelt / SRS airbag system.

Comment

^ Well some of what you said may be true, you do not want to learn to drift on a touge. It's Freaking dangerous and you can hurt or kill yourself and innocent people.
                      I'm not going to say it can't be done. Hell, I've street raced a few times. But it's stupid. I've gotten away with just a few wrecked cars. But I look back and see how lucky I was.

And trust me when I say I speek from experience. I've Caved in a wheel and axil, broke up the front of my car a few times, completely totaled one car by hitting a sign, and my brother rolled his car while driving over our local grade.

Comment

Wait your from Japan..

Originally posted by tougevault View Post
                        Hey guys I once asked daijiro yoshihara himself about what would I need to do to get into drifting and here is the full quote.

Well, I think there are many defferent way.
                        But my way was buy cheapest drfit car and go touge and have practice as much as you can.
                        Somepeopole say, you should buy decent drift car first. Cuz that would be easier to learn drift. That is true.
                        But I'd rather spend money for gas than bodykit or any other expensive parts. You just need LSD and coilover. What if you crash the car which cost like 10k. You might not have money to fix. So,my oppinion is just get cheapest car and put just LSD and coilover. Then you dont need to afraid to crash. I mean, less afraid... You need to crash to know what is the limmit. So, I crashed thousands times when I was beginner!

Thats how I did and how I will do if I go back and do it over again.

I hope it would help you.
                        Good luck!

-dai

He basically says hit the touges not this track b/s take it slow to learn your pace and save your money by buying a cheaper car here in America if your a low budget guy your options for common drift cars are the ae86 and Silvia's with the ae86's you can get one for about $2000 and the Silvia $5000 these prices may change but at the time I bought my 86 I only spent $2000.

Beyond what the Dai man said I would say you do the modifications below to your car. Keep in mind that myself I am a high school student who does not need a daily driver I drive to work and run the touge's on the weekends. I performed the below modification with the understanding that I am using my car to learn how to drift and I am pursuing a professional drifting career someday.

Modifications :
                        Taking out interior panels
                        Stripping sound proofing
                        Fitting racing seat ( 4 pt harness )
                        Disabling my SRS air bags and putting in racing steering wheel
                        Welding support braces (roll cage)
                        Coil-over
                        LSD

Removing the SRS airbag feature is not recommended unless you have had your roll cage, seats, steering wheel, and 4pt harness installed professionally no exceptions because if you run the mountains or the street without having the assurance of knowledge you risk serious injury or death the truth is your actually safer with the racing setup than with your normal seatbelt / SRS airbag system.
                        Dude you can touge all you want because you got hella mountains up their here in the states it's not that simple because are cops are fast. Also what dude wrote it's pretty dangerous to drift up in the mountains

Comment

I would say that from learning in the Touge I've learned a lot more than the kids in America exceptions are the Drift Alliance kids. Even formula D is a joke it's no wonder they are only breeding a few unique drifters. Too many of the young American enthusiasts are stuck on the highways with their Honda Civic's and Integra's. The Touge teach you something about yourself and although they are dangerous if your concerned about safety you shouldn't be drifting a car. It takes a lot of dedication, desire, and discipline to become a successful drifter. Keep the discussion up and lets get back on topic I listed pretty much everything you need two things come to mind for the new drifter coilover / LSD.

Comment

I like the cheap car coilovers and lsd only attitude!!
                            I started off the same way but with only front springs,Stock vlsd, and gutted exhaust on my first learner.

Comment

Working...
                            X