rear end set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end set up

I have just purchased a 85 supra for the sole purpose of learning how to initial d around a few corners but did not realize it had idependant rear suspension (like vette or jag) is this ok for drift or do i need to get another ride, kind of on a budget (nobody told me if you had kids you had to feed them!!! :P ) any input would help. thanks in advance.

Originally posted by maximous View Post
    I have just purchased a 85 supra for the sole purpose of learning how to initial d around a few corners but did not realize it had idependant rear suspension (like vette or jag) is this ok for drift or do i need to get another ride, kind of on a budget (nobody told me if you had kids you had to feed them!!! :P ) any input would help. thanks in advance.
    IRS is much more managable than solid rear axle. The Mk II Supra has a "semi-trailing arm" design, which means lots of squat when you hit the gas. Putting some very stiff springs in the rear will help aleviate this problem.

Comment

one does not simply initial d around a few corners.

Comment

Okay, it sounds like you need to learn a few basics before you go our and start drifting. First, I would practice driving in a controlled environment, I.E. nothing to hit. You may want to read up on some articles on this site or even pick up Tsuchiya's Drift Bible, also available on this site. It's a great DVD that walks you through many of the basic techniques of drifting.

It also sounds like you need to start learning more about the mechanics of cars as well. There are some sites that are Supra specific like http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/ . If you want more just google it.

To give you a quick breack down of what you have:
        1985 Supra MKII
        2.8 L Inline 6 W/ approx 160bhp and 170ft/lb's of torque

Yes the chassis has IRS. The IRS setup is smoother and easier to handle. It's also not much more complicated and in a few cases easier to work on.
        I've owned and raced both. Primarily a 1985 Toyota Corolla and a 1990 240sx. The single axil is useable but it has a real bad tendicy to lift the inside tire in hard corners. Even worse with soft suspension.
        Because both wheels can act independantly with the IRS setup, the wheels generally stay flatter on the ground. Also, the car will me much smoother over rough roads.
        Last edited by eomund240; 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mranlet View Post
          IRS is much more managable than solid rear axle. The Mk II Supra has a "semi-trailing arm" design, which means lots of squat when you hit the gas. Putting some very stiff springs in the rear will help aleviate this problem.
          Semi trailing arm style sucks, Ive owned and drifted 4 S12's, 1 Z31, 1 RA65 celica GTS (Same as a MKII supra with a 4cyl instead) 1 E30 BMW all have semi trailing arm style rear suspension. After driving a few S13's and S14's Im amazed at the difference. Semi tailing sucks even when its well set up it still fails to be as predictable as the Multi link setup in newer S chassis cars.

When the arm moves the camber and toe change alot through its movement making it difficult to predict what the car is gonna do causeing snap oversteer under decceleration and loads of understeer under acceleration

Not to say you cant get used to it and drive around it but like I have seen the light and will never go back.

Comment

Re: semi-trailing arms suck

The reason why IRS seems more "predictable" is because the wheels have less unsprung weight attached to them. It has little or nothing to do with rear end design or number of "trailing arms." Unsprung weight only becomes an issue when the rear of the car goes up or down, i.e. upon acceleration or decelleration, and especially braking. Heavier springs will take care of the acceleration issue. I will let the forum post ideas how to take car of the braking issue.

Comment

Working...
            X