• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man that RB looks kickass !

Comment

Re: Doridori(bump)

Originally posted by godigy
      I just wanna get the questions out my head instead of thinking about the answers. Sorry if these are n00b questions but people like me and other would like to know. Knowlegde is the key winning part of the strategy of drifting and understanding your car.

-What the hell is compression, bore, stroke and all that internal engine goodness that I keep on reading?
      -What is a good suspension setup? I know that coilovers are preferred for most cars but is lowering the car to ground is good for drifting or raising it?
      -Was there ever a car that had a turbocharger and a supercharger in it?
      -Zenki/kouki=trueno/levin???
      -I do not know what (for example) a 2.0 liter engine or a 1.6 liter engine is, you know the liter part, what do they represent?
      -Could someone please explain what is oversteering/understeering is? I have somewhat an idea of what it is but still at a lost
      -Shifting weights in a car in a drift, how do they work and how is it done?

I know these are alot of questions to ask (for now BTW) and if I were to make a topic for each one it would of been a hell of alot topics (hehe) but if someone can help me, it would really help me understand alot of things I dont know and BTW try 2 keep this topic BUMP.
      Can you search or read?

-MR

Comment

dorihu-drift
        H is pronounced with an 'f', japanese way
        weight wont shift, ebrake it
        man, i give up trying to explain, read the post above me

Comment

since it looks like no one explained over/understeer ill help.. oversteer is when youre turning and the rear end basically over turns compared to what you tell it, while understeer is when you go to turn an boom the car resists the motions and keeps straight or stops turning basically.

the point of lowering your car isnt to get the body lower to the ground killing your clearance but to drop the center of gravity which will help keep the car planted and will assist in turning and also help fight body roll and such. coil overs though arnt always the answer since you can get the same results out of a good set of adjustable performance strut and springs. coil-overs are really meant for track cars only in my opinion. plus suspension isnt all in the strut/spring where as there are aftermarket swaybars ( bar that is hooked to both wheels which can help against body roll and squatting ) ive even seen balljoints that lower the CG.

suspension settup is really all on youre style and what feels right for you. there is no real way to tuning suspension. if you look at pro racing alot/most/all of them will readjust according to the track and conditions if possible. this comes down to tweeking things like the alignment to best suit what the car needs to do.

i personally dont know of any supercharged AND turboed cars. i dont know what the other guys were talking about the subaru vivio coming with both when it had supercharger options and the lancia being supercharged as well.. like everyone else said superchargers are nice cause there isnt that lag in power like turbos do since they create power from the exhaust spinning the turbine and in result forcing more air in. down side to superchargers though is that the take power to make power, like in big drag cars they may have these huge superchargers making huge Horsepower (the speed in which torque is made[torque being the force and speed in which the enging rotates]) they actually use alot of the engines natural power to operate. this is where the twin turbo setup comes in where as a smaller turbo is used fort he bottem end since smaller the turbo the faster it spools and then a second turbo which is bigger to give the big power for the second half of the RPm range.

when you asked about shifting weights in a car, there isnt actually "wieghts" there but using the cars wieght with centrigul force almost as to move the weight to hold the momentum sideways in the turn is my belief im not toooo possitive of the effects rather than it helps the flow. this is also heavily used in rally driving as they "drift" the turns with the help of the scandanavian flick (basically feint initiation) where you turn the opposite way of your turn to shift said wieght over.

zenki vs kouki (sorry if my spelling is off) is mearly early and later body style of the same model, for example im sure youve seen S14's with different front ends, where theyre still the "same" car they were changed during their production before the next model/generation came out. levin vs trueno are the EA86 chassis corollas where levin is the non-popup and trueno is the popup.

id seriously suggest you hunt down or download a copy of "drift bible" which explains and shows you in depth the weight transfer and such. also as odd as this sounds i would say get a hold of the initial D anime series since it can be used as a crash course into the world of drifting. i myself find it hard most of the time to get a real understanding of a concept by just reading about it so its good to get a visual of what they are talking about and then how it really looks. i can garentee drift bible will blow your mind on what you thought drifting was done.

whoa i just noticed how old this thread is afffffter i wrote all that stuff ^^^, stumbled across it doing research on the google hahaha. just saw the forum and remembered the days before i drove subaru's. OH and this guy should feel lucky he doesnt have to deal with the nasioc guys where none of his questions would have been answered. you gotta love the search feature jeese

Comment

Working...
          X