Rx8/mustang/350z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rx8/mustang/350z

I am going to buy a new rwd car and I was wondering what people thought was better for drifting: RX8, 08 mustang gt, or a 350z

Wow, going out and buying a brand new car... I hate being poor
    What are your plans with it? If you're planning to drift, I honestly recommend the 350.

I only have experience driving the RX8 (my brother had one for a while) but it's not exactly a great drift car. It's 50/50 weight balence makes it really neutral, but bloody spin happy in a slide.
    I may not have driven the mustang, but I immediately know it's fall back. It's got a solid axil. I know that some of the best drifters drive with solid axils, but it doesn't change the fact that IRS is a superior design.
    That leaves the 350z. Decent power, RWD, options for turboes and LSD's. what's not to love? There's actually a few problems I've read about drifting this vehicle. I guess it's known to understeer quite a bit. At least with a stock setup, coming into a corner breaking will induce pretty good understeer. I learned that from the 350z shock by Best Motering. Things might have been updated since, being as that video is like 4 years old but it was an issue.

Now do you want the advice you don't probably want to hear? I don't recommend getting any of these cars for drifting if you're new to the sport. As daily drivers, they'd be great. But as a drifter they will wreak havok on your wallet. If you want any of these cars go for it, but I truely recommend a cheaper older vehicle for drifting, especially if you're learning.
    Even if it's just for a track racer, I would recommend something like a miata over these. I guarantee your driving will improve faster and in many ways, the vehicle will be faster than any of the suggestions above.

Comment

Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
      I may not have driven the mustang, but I immediately know it's fall back. It's got a solid axil. I know that some of the best drifters drive with solid axils, but it doesn't change the fact that IRS is a superior design.
      So does the 86, doesn't it?

Now do you want the advice you don't probably want to hear? I don't recommend getting any of these cars for drifting if you're new to the sport. As daily drivers, they'd be great. But as a drifter they will wreak havok on your wallet. If you want any of these cars go for it, but I truely recommend a cheaper older vehicle for drifting, especially if you're learning.
      Even if it's just for a track racer, I would recommend something like a miata over these. I guarantee your driving will improve faster and in many ways, the vehicle will be faster than any of the suggestions above.

I couldn't agree more. It's a lot harder to be brave and try new stuff when you're still making payments. Besides, drifting is pretty hard on drivetrain and suspension parts. On the odd chance that you grenade your transmission or kill your power steering, you won't be trying to find parts or a mechanic that's open on sunday so you can make it to work on monday. I was watching some of the special features on The Fast & The Furious 3 a while back. They said that during the course of the movie the Veilside RX-7 went through 6 transmissions, several rear ends and "every CV axle in the city".

Get yourself a 240SX just for a track car. They're cheap, easy to find, have a lot of aftermarket support so parts are cheap and they're really easy to learn in.

Comment

Z

make sure its got a stick and a diff.

Comment

Originally posted by Soldat View Post
          So does the 86, doesn't it?
          Yes it does. That doesn't change the fact that the IRS setup is superior. I went from a corolla to a 240sx and it's quite a change. If you go over a rough surface with the solid axil, it's increadibly rough and, for me anyways, would pretty much guarantee a spin. With the IRS, each wheel is affected individually creating a smoother more stable ride.

Comment

there is no way i would pay for a z when i can get a gto for the same price. The z is a fun car but when i drove the gto man it has great power with it and is just a lot of fun, suspension a little soft but that can be cured of course.

but of course if you plan to drift it simply dontbuy a new car, spend money on some cheap daily driver that is reliable and also get a track car like a 240 for cheap.

Comment

Yes it does. That doesn't change the fact that the IRS setup is superior. I went from a corolla to a 240sx and it's quite a change. If you go over a rough surface with the solid axil, it's increadibly rough and, for me anyways, would pretty much guarantee a spin. With the IRS, each wheel is affected individually creating a smoother more stable ride.
              I wasn't arguing that IRS isn't a better set-up, just that one of the most popular drift cars has a solid axle and therefore someone shouldn't shy away from a certain car just because of that. Especially since the solid axle is one of the things that gives the 86 the reputation of "training the driver".

Comment

35O Z most realiable

Comment

thanks. I might go with the mustang because of the price.

Comment

Originally posted by gigglesnirt View Post
                    there is no way i would pay for a z when i can get a gto for the same price. The z is a fun car but when i drove the gto man it has great power with it and is just a lot of fun, suspension a little soft but that can be cured of course.

but of course if you plan to drift it simply dontbuy a new car, spend money on some cheap daily driver that is reliable and also get a track car like a 240 for cheap.

Yeah, but the GTO vs the Z stock for stock is not that much faster (LS1 version that is), nor does it drift better in stock form.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerfromvh View Post
                      thanks. I might go with the mustang because of the price.
                      We've got a turbocharged 04' Mustang that's already qualified to run Formula D and I think it might have enough power that you'd find it interesting...
                      PM me for more info....

Comment

Working...
                      X