Drift Car Setup For Domestics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drift Car Setup For Domestics?

WELL I WAS WONDERING WHY MOST PEOPLE USE INDEPENDANT REAR SETUPS ON DRIFT CARS IS IT TO UTILIZE THE TOE ADVANTAGE AND MAKE A SMALLER CONTACT PATCH BECAUSE IT WOULD BE EASIER TO BREAK THE REAR LOOSE AND NOT NEED AS MUCH POWER.... BECAUSE I HAVE A 97 GT AND I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF WELDING THE DIFF AND MAKING IT A DRIFT ONLY CAR OR SHOULD I GET A DETROIT DIFF AND SLIDE THAT WAY? OR SHOULD I JUST SELL IT LIKE I WAS GOING TO DO ANYWAY AND GO WITH A 240 I WOULD LIKE TO SHOW PEOPLE THAT U CAN DRIFT STRAIT AXLE CARS AS WELL BUT I ALSO RUN INTO SHITTY EBRAKE PROBLEMS AND I WILL HAVE TO RETRO FIT A HYDRO SETUP FOR THE REAR AND STIFFEN THE SUSPENSION UP. I CAN GET THE MUSTANG UNDER 3000LBS TO HELP IT BE ALITTLE MORE FLICKABLE I KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE DOING DOMESTICS IN DRIFTING ALREADY AND I NEED SOME HELP ON MAKING UP MY MIND HOPE U GUYS CAN HELP.... SORRY IM BORED AND I FELT LIKE WRITING A BOOK

A book wouldnt be in all caps, please don't engage the caps lock ever again.

we slide IRS cars because most of the easy cars to build are already IRS not because solid axle is horrible or anything.

the AE86 is solid rear axle and those drift great.

building a mild drift car isnt all that hard

you will need some sort of LSD or welded diff like you said that kinda depends on your budget. Welded if you dont have much cash, an LSD is better but more money so if you have cash to spare get and LSD.

then after that its suspension suspension suspension. You don't need to buy "DRIFT" suspension thats just marketing really. Most of the time anything road racing related can be applied to drifting.

What your looking for is to remove the stock "slop" out of the suspension so this means the bushings, mounts and other stuff that can move around while your sliding and can make the car less predictable. Thats pretty much the goal of all drift cars is Predictablity and consistency. The car doesn't drift the driver makes the car drift and being able to accurately interpret what the car is doing and telling you is the main goal.

You probably have more than enough power as is right now. You need to focus on making the car more responsive suspension wise and making the interior more comfortable and confidence inspiring (racing seat to hold you in place, a easier to flick steering wheel etc)

Comment

failure to lunch (only b/c it's 12:03)

LOTS of people drift Mustangs and other domestics these-a-days ... yeah i know i know ... it sounds crazy. like some fairy hairy acid trip.

come on get real, is the GT your only car? if so, then DON'T weld the diff. you'll need something more forgiving if you have to rely on your car to drive. i hope (and assume) that you are having another car since you are wanting to make the GT a "drift only" car. if the GT is you're only car and you want to weld the diff ... then yeah you = the fail primary!

but yeah, don't use caps ever again in your life - you fail secondary at the keyboard.

fail.

Comment

sorry for the caps i just use them alot , the gt is going to be drift only i have another car. I was wondering if you guys have seen anybody with a hydro ebrake setup on these cars im mainly looking for pictures of how there doing it even if its not on a gt thanks for the help!

Comment

hydro ebrake isnt as hard as it would seem there is a write up on this site

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...draulic+ebrake

hope that helps some

Comment

thanks for the link is that how alot of people have been doing it. Also i have been looking at springs, all i see is lowering springs im not sure how aggressive the spring rate has to be or how low i should take the car. ive noticed most drift cars ar slammed i would like to get the mustang as low as i can without cutting the springs. im used to honda suspension setups and other imports slamming them is easy but the gt is going to be a bit of a challenge because most imports can just take a cheap pair of coil over slip on ebay specials.
            Last edited by forcefedturbine; 03-19-2008, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Here's some stuff for you.

Fox Body drifting thread
              Yes, it's not the same, but it's similar.
              http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23224

Then there's the Dvanz car.
              Oh yes.
              http://dvanz.com

Rock out with your chicken out.

Comment

www.drift50.com

Comment

So what's the gain in getting a hydro ebrake? On one of the links that you posted it talks about how to put them in but doesn't every mention what it benefits compared to a normal e-brake.

Comment

Originally posted by Drifting Pwns View Post
                    So what's the gain in getting a hydro ebrake? On one of the links that you posted it talks about how to put them in but doesn't every mention what it benefits compared to a normal e-brake.
                    Normal eBrakes take lots of effort to operate, and some dont have the capability to lock bigger wheels and tires with large amounts of grip. Also some cars ebrakes (Like mine) use a separate drum in the disc that wears out really fast if used alot and requires constant adjustment

A hydro ebrake offers instant and EQUAL lock up of both rear wheels with very little effort. No adjustment necessary, also you can put it where ever it is comfortable for you.
                    Last edited by Piner; 04-08-2008, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Piner View Post
                      Normal eBrakes take lots of effort to operate, and some dont have the capability to lock bigger wheels and tires with large amounts of grip. Also some cars ebrakes (Like mine) use a separate drum in the disc that wears out really fast if used alot and requires constant adjustment

A hydro ebrake offers instant and EQUAL lock up of both rear wheels with very little effort. No adjustment necessary, also you can put it where ever it is comfortable for you.
                      K, thanks for the info. A slight change of subject, where do most drivers prefer their e-brake to be? Driver's side of the panel or passenger's?

Comment

Working...
                      X