Springs and Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs and Shocks

I am converting my eclipse gt to rwd... and was wondering what the best shocks and springs are in everyones opinion for drifting

go with coilovers instead

Comment

Originally posted by hineclipsegt View Post
      I am converting my eclipse gt to rwd... and was wondering what the best shocks and springs are in everyones opinion for drifting
      Eclipse GT, is that an AWD model? I'm not good with information on DSMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
        Eclipse GT, is that an AWD model? I'm not good with information on DSMs.
        no its fwd 3.0l 5speed twin sohc... and im not into coilovers. i have some tein s-techs but not sure how great they are. i use to use eibach pro

Comment

Originally posted by hineclipsegt View Post
          no its fwd 3.0l 5speed twin sohc... and im not into coilovers. i have some tein s-techs but not sure how great they are. i use to use eibach pro
          Ok, have you researched what it will take to make this FWD a RWD, especially since there wasn't an AWD version of your Eclipse? I'm not sure how DSM's work, again, but I do know what it took to make a VW AWD. If it's anything similar, you're going to have to know what holes to drill, what spot welds to drill out and weld back the AWD rear subframe. The old Eclipse might be different, but the newer one is going to be a different story. NOW, if you're going to build a tube frame, go for it, but most organizations won't allow a tube frame chassis. On top of that, you're screwing with the balance of the car and it's not going to handle for squat. Do you know anyone else who's done a RWD conversion on a newer Eclipse? That would be the first person to ask about springs, or about the conversion period.

Comment

trying not to be a jerk about this but.... doesn't it make more sense to sell your eclipse and buy a RWD car. With all the money you spend on fabrication and engineering you probly could buy and build a really nice RWD car.
            I know all about being individualistic and all but dude... a 3rd gen eclipse is going to take a lot of work and probly 20k to do it right. Then you'll have a car that won't be of any resale value at all.
            Seem like a lot of work for a little chest thumpin'. You could sell your car and buy a 03 nissan 350z and still come out ahead.

Comment

if your really down with this id get a set of h&r springs and koni sport(yellow) shocks but if it was me id sell it buy a 1g awd(it would be easier) and you could make it push mad power with what yo make on your car big 16g turbo, 650cc inj, fmic, exh, get it flashed and your lookin at excess of 360-400+hp.

Comment

Originally posted by caseyman4285 View Post
                if your really down with this id get a set of h&r springs and koni sport(yellow) shocks but if it was me id sell it buy a 1g awd(it would be easier) and you could make it push mad power with what yo make on your car big 16g turbo, 650cc inj, fmic, exh, get it flashed and your lookin at excess of 360-400+hp.
                Yeah, but is there any way to make it (the 1G AWD) RWD? Is it like the Evo where you have to lock the front diff (or front half, still haven't figured it out)?

Comment

you have to flip the motor longitutinal and get a different tranny(i belive its called a glide) and rear diff because the stock rear one isnt made to take all the power to the rear wheels.

Comment

A EVO/Eclipse AWD set up is essentially a FWD car made to 4wd. Not like a Subaru. So converting the car to RWD is going to be done one of two ways -
                    like the Evo that Rich Ruhterford used last year - and the result is a lot of broken parts and not very reliable. Or sink big money and make it like the team orange car, but this goes back to my first post - buy a freeking FR car and start with a good platform. Way cheaper in the long run.

Comment

I don't know how thoroughly you've researched this, but I have to warn you there will be a LOT of custom fabrication involved, for what will turn out to be a car that is unreliable, handles unpredictably, and probably is not fun at all. I helped a buddy convert his Sunfire to RWD one summer a few years back... no real point to it except to say that we had done it. Horrible idea, and it ruined what was otherwise a fun little car.

Comment

Working...
                      X