HT383 or 350?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT383 or 350?

I've just picked up a 1977 El Camino as my drift prodigy. I'm running a 700R4 4-speed auto transmission, but I'm setting it up to run like a clutchless manual trans, or with a ratchet shifter (similar to Bubba Drift's setup) But my main question is if I should go with the 383 or just a 350; the 383's overall better for trucks like the Camino, but the 350 is still impressive. I'm going NA for the time being, eventually upgrading to a twin screw supercharger if needed. I know most of the drift scene is populated by 240s and Silvias and the sort, i used to have fun with a 300ZX about a year ago, but if someone can help me out with this, it'd be great because I'm really wanting to kill with this thing, and seeing as this is THE drifting forum hands down, I figured here would be a good place to seek guidance.

Originally posted by 77ElCaminoDrift View Post
    I've just picked up a 1977 El Camino as my drift prodigy. I'm running a 700R4 4-speed auto transmission, but I'm setting it up to run like a clutchless manual trans, or with a ratchet shifter (similar to Bubba Drift's setup) But my main question is if I should go with the 383 or just a 350; the 383's overall better for trucks like the Camino, but the 350 is still impressive. I'm going NA for the time being, eventually upgrading to a twin screw supercharger if needed. I know most of the drift scene is populated by 240s and Silvias and the sort, i used to have fun with a 300ZX about a year ago, but if someone can help me out with this, it'd be great because I'm really wanting to kill with this thing, and seeing as this is THE drifting forum hands down, I figured here would be a good place to seek guidance.
    Forget about using the 700r4. It is expensive and weak. Pick up a TH-350 or 400 if you plan to stay with an automatic. They cost less and are stronger. You do not need overdrive on a drift car.

If you budget allows I would get a zz383 (383 cid). If that is too much look at a Fastburn 385 (350 cid). If that is still too much, consider a zz4.

IF this still sounds too rich for your blood, sell the el camino and get a 5.0 Mustang, because an el camino is a 100% doable project, but it is not a cheap one.

Comment

You can just build a 383 for a lot cheaper than a crate motor if you do all the work yourself. Lots of cheap kits now that would be fine for a mild motor. Get a matching cam kit, toss on a set of L98 alumn heads with a quick port clean up and valve job, it be a torquey motor for cheap

Comment

What's in it now?
        Also, that 700r4 may not like drifting very much.

Comment

I have the ZZ383 in my Z28. It's spensive, but it makes enough power that I don't think we'll ever need to modify it at all (425hp and a nice flat power band). Probably too much power for someone who's still learning . . .

I've gone through a couple 700R4's in my RS Camaro daily driver. I would go with a TH-350 or 400 as well. Maybe a T-56 if you can find a good deal. With the ZZ383 and clutch kicks, I'm not expecting my stocker T-5 to last very long.

As light as El Camino's are in the rear, any decently powered small block should work really well. I'd just buy whichever one makes the most sense according to your budget.

Comment

I have a 350 small block sitting there, not the LS1, the old school 350 before it grew a vagina (no offense girls, you can kick *Censored**Censored**Censored* too!) but yeah, I think I'm going to go with a stock 350 and the 700R4 since it's a 4 speed, get a reverse ratchet shift setup with it, and eventually make the jump to a 5 speed manual, but after the disasters I had with the 300ZX I had, I'm gonna stay away from the clutch and get my practice moving other people's cars around in the valet. the 383 is nice, but the 350 will hit higher revs, and that gives me a bit of security when I'm borderline in the red zone.

-Edit after reading all the posts a bit more intricately- I may just go with a TH 350 trans, I'll be pushing enough torque really, and the 4th gear would never get used anyway..but I'm still contemplating the 5 speed manual in the future though.
            Last edited by 77ElCaminoDrift; 05-19-2008, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Sice you'll be working and saving up, might as well leave it alone and get a t56 later. It's supposed to be pretty strong. I'm considering an r154, but that's a little... complex. t5s and 350s make strange bedfellows after too much time together. They are like celebrity couples. Everything seems fine at first, but after the 350 gets rough the t5 splits.

Comment

I'd hold on the transmission, but man, this 87 Caprice I'm driving is like a time bomb ticking off, so I'm gonna go ahead and run with the El Camino ASAP, and then put the spool in for my rear axle, and then go on and get the manual transmission, possibly a supercharger to go with, but I'll determine that once I see how it acts in a drift, hopefully better than my less than stock 87 Caprice that only has OD and first gear; second is completely gone, never fun to lose your drift to overdrive in an automatic, but I guess it's that or a blown engine, so I'm not too mad about it.

-EDIT What do you think about a Turbo 400 trans? I think they're 4 speed, but I'm a bit unsure..only reason I ask is because I'm thinking of doing drag part time, and that 4th gear might just be what keeps me from heavy engine maintenance up to and including replacement.
                Last edited by 77ElCaminoDrift; 05-21-2008, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X