The Last Engine You'll Ever Need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Engine You'll Ever Need

I was browsing through a list of GM engines, looking for a potential new candidate for my El Camino, when I stumbled across this interesting commodity. Ideal for cars with A LOT of front end room, in fact, I'd recommend bolting it directly to your driveshaft. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_V-3420 Awesome, yes?

LOL! That would be like Jay Leno's tank car. Airplane engines are used in some tractor pull rigs. It's freakin scary to watch!

Comment

Chevy small blocks

Actually, I have always wanted to ask, from what I heard from people's reviews and exclamations, The LS1 is a classic choice for motor transplants out there.

Is it really that legendary of an engine?

Comment

Originally posted by atlantian View Post
        Actually, I have always wanted to ask, from what I heard from people's reviews and exclamations, The LS1 is a classic choice for motor transplants out there.

No, it became the "classic choice" because everyone who has gone that route is mistaken. ;-)

Comment

I dunno about all that. Todd Ho has a FC3S with an LS1 and it kicks a$$. Gobbs of torque, great power, cheap mods, and about the same weight as a KA24/13b/whatever other japanese engine you want to throw into the mix.

Comment

I wouldn't say "legendary" by any means. It hasn't been around long enough to be called that.

As Akuma said, the thing about is LS-1's is that they make lots of power, even in a "factory warranty" configuration, have a ton of aftermarket performance options and give you all of the benefits of a fuel-injected motor for relatively cheap. I've seen LS-1's in Muscle cars, third gen Camaro's, sand-cars, trucks, S13's, S14's, RX-7's . . .

Comment

Originally posted by akuma S14 View Post
              I dunno about all that. Todd Ho has a FC3S with an LS1 and it kicks a$$. Gobbs of torque, great power, cheap mods, and about the same weight as a KA24/13b/whatever other japanese engine you want to throw into the mix.
              I never thought that a 5.7 liter engine would be as light as a 1.3 liter rotary engine.

I was considering this engine because there is a kit out there to fit the LS-1 into the car I want.

Soldat, is the LS-1 mechanically fuel injected or electronically fuel injected?

Comment

Soldat, is the LS-1 mechanically fuel injected or electronically fuel injected?
                please stop, you are making me piss my pants here.

Comment

Right, sorry, it's too new to be mechanically fuel injected.

Comment

Haha The allison's are awsome. I've had the fortune to see one on a drag vehicle. One of the loudest things I've ever heard too. Absolutely exilerating.

^ Dude, If it's FI it CAN'T be 'mechanically' fuel injected. Machanical fuel pumps are for carburetors. They only produce about 4psi. Mechanical Fuel Injection just doesn't make sence. It's either carbed or Electronic Fuel Injection or EFI.

That's why daron is laughing.
                    Last edited by eomund240; 06-17-2008, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 77ElCaminoDrift View Post
                      I was browsing through a list of GM engines, looking for a potential new candidate for my El Camino, when I stumbled across this interesting commodity. Ideal for cars with A LOT of front end room, in fact, I'd recommend bolting it directly to your driveshaft. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_V-3420 Awesome, yes?
                      Back on topic, I always loved it when people put ridiculously huge motors in tiny cars. I remember seeing a video on YouTube of a guy who'd shoehorned a blown big block chevy into the front of a Honda CR-X. He had to completely destroy the entire chassis in order to fit the motor in front and the massive tires in back. It was really goofy looking and completely ridiculous, but there was just something about it that was awesome. It just proves that for some people, there's no such thing as too much.

Then there's those guys putting Suzuki GSX-R motors in Smart's . . .

Comment

Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
                        Haha The allison's are awsome. I've had the fortune to see one on a drag vehicle. One of the loudest things I've ever heard too. Absolutely exilerating.

^ Dude, If it's FI it CAN'T be 'mechanically' fuel injected. Machanical fuel pumps are for carburetors. They only produce about 4psi. Mechanical Fuel Injection just doesn't make sence. It's either carbed or Electronic Fuel Injection or EFI.

That's why daron is laughing.

Actually, first generation Corvettes had a mechanical fuel injection system on them. My dad put one on his El Camino when he was a kid.

Comment

I am not looking to intall a turbocharger or a supercharger on it so the issue of forced induction is not prevailant.

And by the way, I think you have it wrong, since carburetors are just fuel input device that lets passing air draw petrol out of the carburetor by differential pressure. They have nothing to do with a syringe that squirts fuel into the engine.

Mechanical fuel injection that I am thinking about is the same thing as electronic fuel injectors, but the valves of the fuel injectors are controlled by cranks that are in time with the valve opening and closing. I just like mechanics over electronics.

Comment

Mechanical fuel injection was used with engines made by the likes of 1950s GM and Mopar high performance vehicles, 1960s Corvettes, Audi and Mercedes-Benz, but fell out of favor with perfection of electronic fuel injection. A lot of the old American systems were unreliable, and many owners switched them out for carburetors.
                            Hmm, learn something new everyday. Doesn't seem have been that common and in this instance, didn't last all that long.

Back on topic,

People will do anything.
                            Last edited by eomund240; 06-17-2008, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I personally would not place such a large engine in a front engined cars, particularly a front engined front wheel drive. There was a trend back not long ago where people placed the H series engine from the Honda Prelude into Honda Civics. They ended up with cars with "overload" understeer.

But I like rear wheel drive and I like midship formats better anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X