hydraulic e-brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hydraulic e-brake

I'm considering putting in a k-sport hydraulic e-brake in my 240 and im not sure if i install a hydrualic e-brake do i lose the stock cable operated one ? Also is it possible to put an ebrake on the front wheels?

Originally posted by zoosk8er115 View Post
    I'm considering putting in a k-sport hydraulic e-brake in my 240 and im not sure if i install a hydrualic e-brake do i lose the stock cable operated one ? Also is it possible to put an ebrake on the front wheels?
    If you use the K-Sport one, I think it mounts where the cable operated brake goes. If you can figure out how to mount it someplace else, you can keep both. The K-Sport one has a provision to act like a parking brake...but uses hydraulic pressure to do so.

I wouldn't suggest you modify your brake system if this is your one and only car...

Comment

If you're going to spend the money, go hydraulic. I don't know anything about the k-sport unit but if it just uses the cable, it's worthless. A hydraulic unit taps into the rear brake line and allows you to keep full use of your stock e-brake.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
        If you're going to spend the money, go hydraulic. I don't know anything about the k-sport unit but if it just uses the cable, it's worthless. A hydraulic unit taps into the rear brake line and allows you to keep full use of your stock e-brake.
        The K-Sport unit is hydraulic. It also has a mechanism in the design that makes it useful as a parking brake (using hydraulic pressure).

Comment

Originally posted by courantcom View Post
          If you use the K-Sport one, I think it mounts where the cable operated brake goes. If you can figure out how to mount it someplace else, you can keep both. The K-Sport one has a provision to act like a parking brake...but uses hydraulic pressure to do so.

I wouldn't suggest you modify your brake system if this is your one and only car...
          factory e-brake is cable, hydrolic goes into where your brake lines go into your rear calipers, you could use both if you wanted. I've seen people use both on FD's before since the stock ebrake is on the passenger side, but IDK if I'd bother having both since I hydrolic ebrake locks better than your stock one ever will.

Comment

one thing i see is if u tap into ur brake lines to use the hydro ebrake wont using it put some pressure on ur front calipers as well? unless u run one line from the ebrake n T off to ur rears then ur brake pedal will only work on the fronts :S

Comment

If you get the K-sport brake you should prolly replace the master with a nice Wilwood unit.

I bought the Driftworks brake from the UK, came with the lines to tap in to the rear T and a .625 Master, which I later changed out for a .700 master.

CNC Staging brakes are total garbage, and should be avoided at all cost.

You don't T the line, you get a master specific to being used as a handbrake. A T in the line would just push the fluid back into the main master any time you weren't on the front brake at the same time.

The parking brake mechanism are pretty worthless, it'll bleed down after about 12hrs so you have to leave it in gear if you don't keep the cables.

Comment

So wait what wud I need to put a hydro ebrake in my s13 without pushing fluid to the fronts? Sry I just don't see how I see install one of these without pushing fluid to the front brakes may be small master?

Comment

The hydraulic e-brake goes in-line with the factory brake, you don't 'tee' anything. The line coming from the master feeds the hand-brake like the reservoir feeds the normal brakes. The fluid goes as follows:

Reservoir -> Master -> Handbrake -> Caliper

In the OEM setup it's just:

Reservoir -> Master -> Caliper

Comment

Ah sweetness so wait u still keep the abilty of controllin all four calipers like before right?

Comment

is the size master that come with the ksport pretty good tho? shud lock em up nice right?

Comment

I don't have any experience with K-Sport's product so I can't comment but your rear brakes will function exactly as they did before you installed their hand-brake. If your car doesn't function exactly like it did before you installed this hand-brake, the problem is on your end.

Comment

when the hydro E brake is retracted the fluid passes through the internal circuit in the cylinder so it is like the cylinder is not even there. When pulled slightly the cylinder shuts off the circuit from the cars original master cylinder to the rear calipers and at that point the rear caliper pressure is generated by the hand operated cylinder. It has nothing to do with the front brake circuits.
                          Last edited by mazdized; 07-06-2009, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Ok so how do I know what size of master cyl to get with the ksport for my s13 a 5/8 or a 3/4?

Comment

Originally posted by rb240mike View Post
                              factory e-brake is cable, hydrolic goes into where your brake lines go into your rear calipers, you could use both if you wanted. I've seen people use both on FD's before since the stock ebrake is on the passenger side, but IDK if I'd bother having both since I hydrolic ebrake locks better than your stock one ever will.
                              I know that the factory e-brake is cable. If you use the K-Sport one, it replaces the factory cable mechanism altogether and it bolts where the factory setup would be.

...but what I'm trying to say is that the K-Sport one has a feature built into it that acts like a line-lock so that your car can have a functional "parking brake". You pull the lever up, and flip a latch that locks the lever in the UP position, effectively pressurizing the hydraulic lines to the the rear wheels. Provided that it doesn't "leak" over time, the brakes will hold.

Comment

Working...
                              X