Dual exhaust cams on S13 KA24DE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual exhaust cams on S13 KA24DE

I'd like all you guys input and explanations onto how this works, which is best, and if I should do it or not.

A friend told me I should run dual exhaust cams in my KA (248/248) but everything I read says you should do something with the cam gear and something with the advance ... I'm just not sure what.

Also, I read something about the swapping the intake and exhaust gears (248/240).

Basically I guess I'm just curious how to get the cam gear setup and everything timed in. I looked on Nico, but there's like so much info. going one way and the other it's hard to figure out which is which.

There are a lot of variables to consider when deciding about cam profiles. Whether you are swapping the intake and exhaust cams or installing aftermarket ones- you are changing the valve timing.

I can't tell you what lift, duration, lope sep. angle or valve overlap will run best with your combination, but I can give you some pointers. 1) Always check valve to piston clearance BEFORE starting it up. Use an old head gasket if you have to with some cheap clay. 2) Use shorter duration cams for the street. Otherwise you could end up sacrificing a bunch of low rpm power. 3) Advance or R e t a r d the camshafts as needed. Use it as a tuning method for perfecting your desired power band. GENERALLY, advancing the valve timing will give better low end power, while retarding it moves the power band higher. 4) Lastly, when making your decisions- use the @.050 measurements, not the advertised ones. This is because the .050 type is taken at that measurement, whereas the advertised duration is not standardized and varies from company to company.

Happy Tuning!

Comment

Working...
    X