Suspension Help S13 please! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Help S13 please! :)

Ok guys here is the story, my car is an s13 like most drift cars.

The engine set up is an LS1 with heads and a cam making about 420-450whp.

Now I use to drive a 2871r s13, got rid of that set up for the LS1 and now I have a problem. Traction.....

Im looking for more grip out of my drift car with the ls1 now, I run dumpster tires because I am not sponsored or anything like that. I felt pretty good this last event I got to run a few different tire sizes from 255, 275, and 285 tires all on 17s and 18s. Honestly I felt like I was skating pretty much on all of them LOL blipping the throttle around he course except for on the large sweeper. Now all the tires I have left are 225s 235s and a few 245s (its tough getting large dumpster tires). So I need to make due with what I have.

As far as suspension goes I softened the preload on my rear coils already, camber is 0 in the rear, but I have noticed that im still wearing the inside of the tires and there is still a good two inches of tread or so is unworn on the outside edges of the tires. What this makes me think is when the car "squats" the camber goes more negative and it makes them wear like that, I'm thinking that if I maybe make my camber postve 1 degree or so in the back I can get the full contact patch on the ground when the car squats. I have also thought about removing the rear sway bar for grip, I know mazda guys do this but I havent heard anything on s13's.

SO pretty much any suggestions are good suggestions at this point, unfortunately I can't run a large tire every event, so I need to get he whole contact patch on the ground while in drift.

Here are a few small vids from my last event just so you guys kind of know what your dealing with.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTP6zccoihQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rCIl1jz82w&NR=1

what is your rear toe setting? that can make a big difference.

also, what tire pressure are you running in these different sizes?

Comment

Rear toe setting is 0, do you have a recommendation? should I toe it in or out?

tire pressure has been about 30psi everytime

Comment

30 psi before or after you have heated them up? id try a little lower pressure, but with used/crap tires you dont wanna trust them too much.

toe you can google it, but toe-in should add grip and toe-out should loosen it up in the rear.

ive heard others say you can also take off the rear sway bar to help add some grip, but I haven't done this.

Comment

Im definitely going to running some toe in from some of the things ive read about rear grip now. Seems like a lot of drift guys looking for some more rear grip are running heaps of toe in in the rear.

Thanks!

More suggestions are welcome guys

(yeah I also know used dumpster tires arent always safe, but I've had good luck so far knock on wood)
          my car is a full track car though so no worries it isnt registered

Comment

Working...
          X