No announcement yet.

Ka24de-t???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

emissions issues for one. price would be my second. sure, the sr is not badly priced, but that is just for the stock motor. I can get a stock KA for 400. installation for the sr is a bit more difficult than most will admit. not to mention custom a/c and power steering, which I'll want. 105 degrees in TX is hot, and drifting w/o a good steering setup is kinda hard. I don't have the money to set it up w/o power steering like Imamura's FD. I drifted an 86 that was low on power steering fluid, and it was a pain.

Anyways, I don't know anyone I can trust around here with installing the sr even if I wasn't concerned about emissions. the going rate for shops is about 6k total, and that is for a stock engine. I can build a KA for less, including proper fuel tuning and the Greddy turbo kit. and the motor will be fully built. More hp than a stock sr, and less money. even if it's the same price, a fully built Ka-t or a stock sr?

Comment

AJ, you need to check the drift meets section and check out that TX boys thread. I havent heard from you in a grip. EN Tuning in garland is supposed to be good with 240s, specifically SRs. I thought the stock SR made 205. Is that a crank #? 166hp obo...what does that mean? Turbos are for pus..... lol. I know, Ive got 200 out of my NA KA. And with the LSD out back. Thats plenty. Ive always been a fan of the KA but for the S14 and S15, Id have to go SR. I know, I know, they have SRs, I have a 240.

Comment

How did you get 200hp from your N/A KA?

Comment

Originally posted by AJ-SPEC
          emissions issues for one. price would be my second. sure, the sr is not badly priced, but that is just for the stock motor. I can get a stock KA for 400. installation for the sr is a bit more difficult than most will admit. not to mention custom a/c and power steering, which I'll want. 105 degrees in TX is hot, and drifting w/o a good steering setup is kinda hard. I don't have the money to set it up w/o power steering like Imamura's FD. I drifted an 86 that was low on power steering fluid, and it was a pain.

Anyways, I don't know anyone I can trust around here with installing the sr even if I wasn't concerned about emissions. the going rate for shops is about 6k total, and that is for a stock engine. I can build a KA for less, including proper fuel tuning and the Greddy turbo kit. and the motor will be fully built. More hp than a stock sr, and less money. even if it's the same price, a fully built Ka-t or a stock sr?
          Dude, you can get a SR20DET for the price of a cheap turbo kit for a KA. That WONT include injectors, FMIC, BOV, standalone or piggy back ecu,. and I am sure I am leaving off more *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*. A friend of mine can install and wire it easy, you wont even see a wire in the engine bay and he will do it for like 700 bucks. And you will be suprised how many aftermakret parts you will have by that time. I am sitting here right now with $3500 worth of parts in my room that are accumlating because of my swap. lol.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by -=S14=-
            Dude, you can get a SR20DET for the price of a cheap turbo kit for a KA. That WONT include injectors, FMIC, BOV, standalone or piggy back ecu,. and I am sure I am leaving off more *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*. A friend of mine can install and wire it easy, you wont even see a wire in the engine bay and he will do it for like 700 bucks. And you will be suprised how many aftermakret parts you will have by that time. I am sitting here right now with $3500 worth of parts in my room that are accumlating because of my swap. lol.

Ryan
            You CAN build a KA for less than an SR swap. Maybe in CA you can get a SR installed for next to nothing, but in the South it's still a pricey operation, and there aren't that many shops that will do it, let alone enough to choose from to get someone you trust for the right price.

You could go all-motor the KA and get better response than a Turbo'd SR. Put indiviual throttle bodies on it and you'll have a direct link between gas pedal and power instead of the delayed feel of a mediocre plennium, single TB, and turbo. Part of controlling the drift is about having exactly as much power as you want and right when you want it.

Even if you do decide to get a decent turbo kit, you will be making way more than the 205 hp that the SR will give you. For the same money that you would need to spend on the installation, you could get a good turbo kit, better injectors, a metal head gasket, a 3-angle port job, a heavy-duty clutch (always in need for a drift car) and maybe an engine balancing.

-MR

Comment

Originally posted by mranlet
              You CAN build a KA for less than an SR swap. Maybe in CA you can get a SR installed for next to nothing, but in the South it's still a pricey operation, and there aren't that many shops that will do it, let alone enough to choose from to get someone you trust for the right price.

You could go all-motor the KA and get better response than a Turbo'd SR. Put indiviual throttle bodies on it and you'll have a direct link between gas pedal and power instead of the delayed feel of a mediocre plennium, single TB, and turbo. Part of controlling the drift is about having exactly as much power as you want and right when you want it.

Even if you do decide to get a decent turbo kit, you will be making way more than the 205 hp that the SR will give you. For the same money that you would need to spend on the installation, you could get a good turbo kit, better injectors, a metal head gasket, a 3-angle port job, a heavy-duty clutch (always in need for a drift car) and maybe an engine balancing.

-MR
              I have friends in both worlds man, I LIVE IN HOUSTON! Talk to my friends who are turbo KA. One is making 436 to the wheels and the other is making 328. They will agree if you are looking for a daily driver and reliability go with a SR. Both of them had so many small things go wrong that they each have an extra KA to drop in when their "fast" one is out of commision. If you are looking for a cheap way to be a fastecar r there is no doubt it is by going the SR route.

and for your response "but in the South it's still a pricey operation, and there aren't that many shops that will do it, let alone enough to choose from to get someone you trust for the right price."

You can trust me and my friends because they are averaging almost 3 a month. Their wiring services are on ebay. And there are many shops that do them down here, those shops jsut *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* up a lot.

Ryan

Comment

I havent dyno'd it, Im just guessing. Intake, exhaust, and cams are the current mods.

Comment

my car (95 SE) with JWT cams, Hotshot Stage 2 Header, Exhaust and Intake did 162hp on the dyno, up from129hp stock. That's the highest I've seen personally from a KA (out of probably 15 in our club that have dyno'd). I saw a 172hp chart on the internet once. I'm curious what the highest N/A is...

Comment

It seems like it would be cheaper and probably alot easier to just stick with the NA KA24DE or just get a SR20DET. Besides, if you really want to fix up the engine there's alot more parts for SR20DETs out there than the other.

Comment

SR is the best route if your looking for anything more then 250hp

Comment

Working...
                      X