To swap or not to sawp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To swap or not to sawp?

I am trying to get some info and advise before I purchase a 89-94 240. I want to set up for drifting or SCCA. I do not believe thereare any big drift events here in Savannah, GA or near by. I have read a lot about sr swaps and all. If I am planning on swaping turbos and all, why not take the stock block and build it. Is there a difference between a 240sx's block and a sr20det block? Also, will a skyline motor fir these cars? If so, what fits the s-13 easier? I am sorry if these are all questions you get a lot. Thanks a lot for your time.

Most RB engines (skyline motors) cost a average of $8,000 to have put in your car. If you have the money or time to custom make parts and have the time to do it yourself, go ahead for the RB. I think you should go with the CA motor. Not many people use it making it different from everyone else.

Where in Georgia are you?

Comment

Re: To swap or not to sawp?

Originally posted by rhino1
      I am trying to get some info and advise before I purchase a 89-94 240. I want to set up for drifting or SCCA. I do not believe thereare any big drift events here in Savannah, GA or near by. I have read a lot about sr swaps and all. If I am planning on swaping turbos and all, why not take the stock block and build it. Is there a difference between a 240sx's block and a sr20det block? Also, will a skyline motor fir these cars? If so, what fits the s-13 easier? I am sorry if these are all questions you get a lot. Thanks a lot for your time.
      Atlanta georgia will be the first session of the Formula D drift event. April 24-25 http://www.formulad.com

There many difference between the 240sx's KA24 block and the Silvia's SR20 block. They are a completely different family, have different bores and strokes internals are made differently, different porting ect.. Blocks are made of different materials. Both are good engines to build up, And they are similar due to the fact there both inline 4s that nissan designed around the same time.

If your going to rip apart the whole turbo system anyways, you may want to consider getting a turbo kit for the KA series of motors. they are both pretty sturdy, and theres a big debate over which is stronger. Everyone has differnet opinion, I havent blown up either so i cant say.

They will both bolt into the chassis, because both motors were designed to fit in the car.

RB or skyline Series of engines can be swapped in, Its suposively not too much more difficult to do. The motors/trannys are heavier, it is said about 100 to 150 pounds heavier. They are inline 6s, the big skyline GTR motor is the Rb26DETT these are ocasionally put in the 240sx, but they are even heavier and have all kinds of fitment issues due to the twin turbos. they are also very expensive, sence they have to come from a skyline gtr

the RB25 is the common motor that is swapped in, from the Skyline GT-S from the R33 and R34 skylines. It is a 2.5 liter 6 cylender single turbo. Great engine, the RBs are suposed to be stronger then the KA or SR series motors. They have smaller pistons physicall, sence theres more of them. And will rev higher with more displacement then either the KA and the SR

whats also done is the RB20 is swapped in from the GT-S skyline of the R32 chassis and anumber of other nissan cars. It is a 2 liter inline 6 with a short stroke, suposed to be also strong, but still heavier. The engine its self, is pretty cheap compared to other swaps, and you can usualy get a good deal on them. There less popular because your adding extra weight and not getting any more displacement over the sr20.

the CA18 is a 1.8 liter motor that came in the first run of S13s, its another family all together but also bolts in. these can also be had for pretty cheap, i dont like them however because your going from a 2.4 liter KA to a 1.8 liter CA.. i dont like loosing displacement.

Anyways theres your answers.

Comment

CA motor? I'm in Savannah

Comment

Re: Re: To swap or not to sawp?

Originally posted by nissanguy_24

There many difference between the 240sx's KA24 block and the
          the CA18 is a 1.8 liter motor that came in the first run of S13s, its another family all together but also bolts in. these can also be had for pretty cheap, i dont like them however because your going from a 2.4 liter KA to a 1.8 liter CA.. i dont like loosing displacement.

Anyways theres your answers.

Comment

wouldn't it be better to stay with more displacement? So, how much can a stock 240 block hold with good internals?
            Last edited by rhino1; 03-09-2004, 07:11 PM.

Comment

The KA is what comes stock in a American 240sx. Yes displacement is good, but drifting is not all about power.

Comment

it can be.

Depends on the person, I like displacement but i also like to rev high, the KA has a huge stroke on it comparitively. It comes down to personal preference. luckily there are many different engines out there that can be swaped in, or built up in the case of the KA, so its easy to pick the one you want.

Comment

I have drifted some with my mustang. I am actually pretty good at controlling my car. I know seeing is believing, but I can say I do a pretty good job. What is the important when building a drift car?

Comment

Originally posted by Rooney
                    The KA is what comes stock in a American 240sx. Yes displacement is good, but drifting is not all about power.
                    Very true.

Comment

I have drifted some with my mustang. I am actually pretty good at controlling my car. I know seeing is believing, but I can say I do a pretty good job. What is the important when building a drift car?
                      Driver skill, followed by whatever you feel you need to improve your driving.

As you get better you will realize what you need/want. To take it ot the next level.

Comment

Sorry to post so many times in a row. but to follow up on what i just said.

Drifting is about taking a car and making it an extension of your self threw your drifting. Thats why i feel a drift car should be built to a person's personal taste. I dont think anyone has a set way to build a drift car.

Drifting is so much skill and personal preference.

Comment

I hear ya. When I am drifting my car, I feel completely different. I know what is going to happen if I turn the wheel this wasy, or if I give it more gas. I love it.

Comment

who makes good pistons, connecting rods, crank , etc for the KA block? What will I need to do if I want to rev it a lot? Also, what is a good compression ratio for a turbo setup?

Comment

Re: To swap or not to sawp?

I want to set up for drifting or SCCA. I do not believe thereare any big drift events here in Savannah, GA or near by.
                              Have you ever done any auto x? I mean, you just asked about throwing a built skyline motor in an s chassis? Not ideal. It could work but for motorsports like this where weight distribution is crucial, youre begging to throw it to hell. Aside from that, I know some guys in Georgia if you ever wanna meet with somebody who knows whats up. If you wanna rev a KA...ummm...machine your own crank, rods, and oil pan. Destroke it and pray that your cylinder walls hold. Boring out a KA isnt a great idea as the cylinder walls are already relatively thin and ignition timing would be crucial so stand alone would be recommended if not mandatory. Turbo compression ratios usually fall between 7.5 and 9.0. 7.5 being unusually low and above 9.0 being dangerously high if you dont know what youre doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X