ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuild the Rotary or Swap for Drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild the Rotary or Swap for Drifting?

Hello. I have a S5 T2 that need to be rebuilt. I love rotaries and want to start with a relatively lower powered car. It will cost about 5k with new Rotor housings oem seals and a huge oil mod. then I would get fuel management. Some other mods and then I want to go and get sideways. Anyway there is no guarenty that the engine will last under drift application and driving it to and from the events.

Here is the alternative i am thinking about.For a liittle more i can put in a 1 or 2jzgte. These engines are really strong from the factory. The cars behavior would change but i can learn to manage i suppose. This is the only swap i will consider. Even talking like this is taboo in the rotoary world. Im not much of a purist but i wouldnt usualy think about swaping a rotary out vs in. My mo is the drift. i want to get good at it and want it to last. 5k is a lot to spend for me. idk about you guys but im not rich. Lol

Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Linguo415; 02-11-2011, 10:03 PM.

Why is that the "only engine you will consider?" That just makes you sound ignorant. The engine is far too long, way too heavy and would require WAY more than your budgeted $5G to make work. And if you want to "get good at" drifting, you should already be deep in the learning curve by now. Power doesn't give you skill. In fact, it's the very opposite.

Comment

Keep the brotary.... they are the funnest most easy motors to build other then air cooled VWs.

Comment

Originally posted by Linguo415 View Post
        Hello. I have a S5 T2 that need to be rebuilt. I love rotaries and want to start with a relatively lower powered car. It will cost about 5k with new Rotor housings oem seals and a huge oil mod. then I would get fuel management. Some other mods and then I want to go and get sideways. Anyway there is no guarenty that the engine will last under drift application and driving it to and from the events.

Here is the alternative i am thinking about.For a liittle more i can put in a 1 or 2jzgte. These engines are really strong from the factory. The cars behavior would change but i can learn to manage i suppose. This is the only swap i will consider. Even talking like this is taboo in the rotoary world. Im not much of a purist but i wouldnt usualy think about swaping a rotary out vs in. My mo is the drift. i want to get good at it and want this to last. 5k is a lot to spend for me. idk about you guys but im not rich. Lol

Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks guys.

We produced this DVD

http://store.driftingshop.com/2jzrxfdswdvd.html

Comment

Budget Reference

240SX 1JZ/2JZ Swap

2JZ/1JZ SWAP PARTS LIST
          2JZGTE MOTOR includes shipping & 6 month warrenty $2600
          Transmission parts to piece together a r154 US Spec transmission from Toyota Supra Turbo 1989 to 1992
          1JZ Bell housing $375
          1JZ flywheel $275
          ACT clutch kit 650 FT torque 6 puck (option for our install) $700
          SHIFTER EXTENSION PLUS CORE $250 + $200
          2JZ SWAP KIT PLUS CORE $1500 +$200
          2JZ PLUG N PLAY WIRING $450
          CLUTCH LINE SS KIT $120
          FUEL LINE KIT $130
          A/C KIT (option for our install) $750
          THROTTLE CABLE BTACKET $45
          JDM 2JZ 3inch DOWN PIPE ADAPTER $100
          WATER PUMP $150
          TIMING BELT $28
          SERPENTINE BELT $30 UNIVERSAL SPEEDOMETER INTERFACE $79.95
          UNIVERSAL TACHOMETER INTERFACE $79.99
          WALBRO FUEL PUMP $100
          KOYO RADIATOR WITH UPPER INLET MODDED $450
          SPAL FANS $200
          FAN CONTROLLER $100
          2JZ 4IN INTERCOOLER KIT $650
          PULLEY SET W/P,P/S,ALT $135
          MISC. PARTS HEATER HOSES, RAD HOSES, CLAMPS $275

Comment

Ugh. Figures.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
              Keep the brotary.... they are the funnest most easy motors to build other then air cooled VWs.
              Hahaha. Brotary. i really want to but im just affraid of it blowing up sooner than later. i know its all about the tuning and set up. I dont think ill boost it much.
              Last edited by Linguo415; 02-11-2011, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
                Why is that the "only engine you will consider?" That just makes you sound ignorant. The engine is far too long, way too heavy and would require WAY more than your budgeted $5G to make work. And if you want to "get good at" drifting, you should already be deep in the learning curve by now. Power doesn't give you skill. In fact, it's the very opposite.
                I know power doesnt give you skill. Im after longevity. thanks for the ignorant comment. Nice. what do you recomend?
                Last edited by Linguo415; 02-11-2011, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Hahaha. Brotary. i really want to but im just affraid of it blowing up sooner than later. i know its all about the tuning and set up. I dont think ill boost it much.
                  Man up, read a book, look up some data. You will find out that the 13B if built and tuned properly is just as reliable as any other 90s Japanese 4/6 cyclinder.

Comment

^ Bro ive done sooo much research already. No joke. for the last year and ahalf or so. Lol They are great engines and I love them! Im just trying to see what my option are right now. Im not into V8s either. the 1j or 2j are really strong and last a real long time. Its the best Japan made engine.
                    It wont be an Rx though. Thats the soul of these cars its engine. Its what makes them one of a kind so to speek.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                      Man up, read a book, look up some data. You will find out that the 13B if built and tuned properly is just as reliable as any other 90s Japanese 4/6 cyclinder.
                      We also produced a Rotary Rebuild DVD with Formula D driver Kyle Mohan from Mazdatrix.

http://store.driftingshop.com/ma13broentdv.html

Comment

would you swap in the motor yourself?

Comment

^Um im thinking yes. with help. Otherwise I have someone that wont charge a ton to do it.

Comment

I know power doesnt give you skill. Im after longevity. thanks for the ignorant comment. Nice. what do you recomend?
                            Rotaries have no problem with longevity as long as the owner has some intelligence.

Comment

^ Goood atleast you didnt say v8. lol

i

Comment

Working...
                              X