SR or RB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR or RB

- Ok so I am about to buy an S13 a 93. I am gonan part the KA and drop a new engine. I have really great deals on both the s13 front clips and the rb front clips. All I need to know is which one would be a more reliable engine, that I could find parts for easily, and make some good HP. I know that the sr20det is a good engine so I just wanna know what kind of RB's will fit. I know that the rb20's will fit but will any other model fit without doing any seriouse body work. And will I be able to acquire parts for the rb easily and at a decent price.

- Any my last question is about the infinity j30. I have a 96 automativ VG30 and I was wondering if it is possible to drop the Vg30dett with the manual tranny into the car. Again with no seriouse chasis work or anything like that.

I know the RB 25 FITS!!
    But why not just go with the sr20det
    Its a slightly easier swap and lighter..

Comment

sr20 was made in american, FWD but still an SR. The rb never made it here, so its half way impossible to repair it if it breaks. Both are very reliable as long as they are taken care of, but any engine that will see any drifting(assuming you are going to drift being this is drifting.com) will deteriorate and break at some point. I wouldn't suggest a motor swap because you can find all parts for the KA in american, and it is a very good motor.

Thats a big no on the VG engine, a guy named mattback on some of the 240 forums tried this in his 240 and got it to work, but with lots of custom work.

Comment

Reliability basicly comes from low power low RPMS. If you want one of those motors. i am tempted to say the SR20 and try to keep it under 200 whp. of course you can leave the RB stock and get plenty of power.

But motors break down eventually, fact of life.

Comment

CA or SR, or even keep the ka, no need to swap.

Comment

What if the KA has 120,000 miles on it then should i swap?!

Comment

I would run the KA till it died then swap,

Comment

KAs have been known to run to a good 175-200K miles before dying with proper maintenance.

Comment

Over on Nico theres a guy experimenting wth a Early SOHC block and a KA24DE head which nets a 11.7:1 compression ratio, hes yet to get it dynoed yet, but hes expecting big power numbers, like close to 200, all NA

Comment

KA with Fuel, Injectors, Cam, exhaust, is over 230hp. keep the KA, its what TOMEI now wants, so why not keep it?

Comment

slip a rb31 in there...its what quickstyle would do! ...i would do what chas and menchi said....keep the engine and get another one when it dies...its cheaper and until you enter competitions and need more power...get te sr20det...but its all up to you

Comment

KA with fuel, injectors, cam and exhaust is not anywhere near 230hp. Maybe add a turbo to that. A guy is running all those mods and dyno'd at 170 to the wheels, and thats with intake also.

Chas, if you're telling the truth, I want to see it because that was my dream before I sold my 240, if you speak the truth, I will go buy another one.

The guy running with the SOHC block and DOHC head is the same thing as adding SOHC pistons to a DOHC, just without having to remove the bottom end, I have looked over that post a million times and I really wanted to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas
                          KA with Fuel, Injectors, Cam, exhaust, is over 230hp. keep the KA, its what TOMEI now wants, so why not keep it?
                          the highest Dyno graph i have ever seen for a NA KA with my own eyes was 169 WHP, that was with a home made intake, a 2.5 inch exhaust a header and pulleys. I know there is alot more you can do but i havent actualy seen any on the dyno, But i have never heard of someone doing more then 200 WHP with out going to ITB and head work and such.

i only mention such a thing, because as i mentioned in another post i am considering doing something similar. And i dont really think we have scratched the surface yet as a community at the potential of a really intelegently build NA KA.
                          Last edited by nissanguy_24; 03-27-2004, 04:18 PM.

Comment

id say go with a sr20 since there are alot of parts out there for it

Comment

another idea

If you want cheap turbo power, may i sugest a CA18DET and a RB20DET

Tophat makes mounts and stuff for the RB ghost of duluth can you give you more information there.

The CA and the RB20 both have there fans but they have some issues which keeps the droves away, the RB20 is alot heavier, and you still only get 2 liters. However thats the same displacement as the SR and it will rev higher, it has a shorter stroke. The CA is the smallest displacement is suposed to have a turbo even worse then the stock S13 SR20.

Neither of these motors are magic pills that will make you run 12s stock, but they will give you 150 or more HP to the wheels with a turbo stock. the RB will probably make more, its rated at 205 hp, and the CA18 is rated at about 175

They can both usualy be bought pretty cheap, call venus auto or someone else and see what they have. Venus often runs species on these motors, i know of one guy on NICO that got a RB20 clip for like 1200 bucks. Turn up the boost, go to a better turbo, one of those disco potato turbos (gt28RS) will probably be perfect for it, Jim wolf technology has them for like 1200 bucks.

I havent worked with either of these my self so i can only go off hear say, but they are options you may want to explore. And cheaper then the RB25 and Sr20 swaps and even the KA-Ts and hell probably even most KA NA build ups.

get a goal for your car and look over nissan's motors to find whats in your price range that will do what you want. be realistic and do research, and have fun, and keep up posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X