quick abs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick abs question

i was wondering if it is possible to install ABS on a car, or is it even necessary for drifting. The reason i ask this is because i am in the process of purchasing a 89 240sx and i know that some of them do not have ABS, so i was wondering if it is possible to install ABS. I'm pretty sure that this is a noob question, so dont hammer me too hard.

anyone?

Comment

so you know that the car has no abs?
      im pretty sure they all came with abs, maybe they said no abs bacause they disabled it?
      if yo know better thoguh than just ignore that

Comment

I assume you'd be "able" to install an abs system in any car. I've never looked for any abs kits though. I'm sure something exists. I just don't know how cheap or easy it would be do put one in. You would probably be able to get an abs system out of an '89 240sx if yours doesn't have one, say it was an upgrade option back then. It would be a direct fit as well, cheap if you can get it out of a junkyard. You'd just have to install and wire it up(whatever is needed to do that).

Personally, I don't like abs. I like to lock up the tires if I want too. Then again, I learned without it. I've driven cars with the first gen abs stuff, heavy pulsing, really weird feeling. The newer stuff doesn't seem to have that feel. Still, I'd prefer without. My friend has a '97 Intrepid with abs. On gravel he can't stop fast cause the abs wants too keep the tires moving too much. I don't think the old technology was all that great. I just don't like a computer controlling how I brake.

If it was me, I would hope that it didn't come with abs or I'd take out the fuse if it did. Learn to control the brakes. It's pretty simple. You just need to learn when the tires begin to lock up. In time, you'll be able to control it better than any abs system. That's just my 2 cents.

Comment

wow im going to swallow my foot for this one
          for some odd reason i thought you were asking about power steering...... i guess it was pretty late that i was on..or maybe im an idiot
          yeah mine doesnt have abs and i liek it that way
          but then again i still have no idea if you can install it or not....sorry
          ide imagine you could though

Comment

If it makes you feel better, my truck doesn't have power steering, lol.

Comment

ABS, is for your grandma driving to work on a febuary morning. Its never needed for a good driver with eyes, the fairy tales told by auto makers is to just get you to buy the ABS systems.

Comment

Im going to summerize what Dave coleman from sport compact car has said, Hes there engineering editor, Owner of there project silvia and a big nissan fan. Very smart guy... Modern ABS is very good. So much so that the worse braking distance in the first Ultimate street car challange was a 510, the lightest car there. All the rest used modern ABS Systems. However ABS from the era of the S13 isnt very good. Any good driver could beat it.

Breaking is a skill, a nessiarly one, especialy for things like the braking drift.

as to installing it, im sure swapping out the parts of a ABS equipped car and maybe the ecu will work. BUt most drifters dont use it, and most dont need it.

Comment

ABS

Well I have ABS on my 1990 TURBO II and Im about to remove it..
                  I would tell you it's a pain to install but if you don;t mind the work and trouble also making your engine bay smaller..Do it
                  Well IMO
                  I would take it out..
                  I am HUMAN ABS =)

Comment

Working...
                  X