Dry Sump Oil Systems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Sump Oil Systems...

This is basiclly where you expain and talk about the pro's and con's of the system... I recently just started looking into this see that its quite good for almost all racing. I'm not too clear on how it works but i think i get the gist of it...

dry sump has all the oil in a catch can..and not in an oil pan...so there is less parasidic(SP) drag on the motor..and you can mount the motor lower to have a lower cG....ill give ya more info in the morning as i cant see well enough to type

Comment

ok im more awake and can see the keybored..
      Bascily a wet sump is what you have in your car right now...it has all the oil in a pan below the motor with a oil pump in there to suck oil up and lub your motor..its simple and cheep to make..hence why all most cars come with it as OEM..
      a Dry sup has a scavange pan below the mtoor to suck up all the oil coming off the crank and through the motor and take it up to the catch tank..

the advantage of a driy sump is less windage/parasidic drag on the motor through the oil cleanging to the crank and getting flung around..the abilaty to mount your motor much lower in the chassy and hence having a lower CG and inturn a little better cornering.. and insted of having a crank driven oil pump in the block you have a belt driven oil pump onthe front of the motor..also with a dry sump you wont have oil starvation under hard cornering like you can with a wet sump..

i think there are other advangages/dis advangaes of it...but i just cant think of them right now...

hopw this helps..

Comment

Thats a good explaination for those who do not know what it is or how it works, I'm wondering if anyone has this set up in their car and if they do I'd like to know how well it performs over a wet sump.

Comment

i dont think too many people will have it due to the cost of making one of these systems. It isn't cheap at all. I don't think you will see a real gain over a wet sump, its just one of those little things that add up, like not running a mechanical fan over a electric fan, you wont really notice, but a bunch of little things add up.

Comment

ran one an an SCCA Trans Am car that i set up once...only reason we did it is to lower the CG of the motor...
            damm small block chevies are heavy!!!
            wokredout well..but then again every one and there brother are runnning them in TA

Comment

Yup DriftFreak Is going to Help me set mines up..=)
              Last edited by JunpoweR; 04-03-2004, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X