can't drift...miata doesn't want to redline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't drift...miata doesn't want to redline

Can't seem to get my car to redline....92 mx5....when it reaches 4500 rpm's the needle starts to go up and down, but u can tell it's working its way up...ands the car jerks...anybody know the problem? If you need further details...AIM me @ d0rimx5...the "o" is a zero

you didnt take the thing to redline a few times before you bought it? bad idea. as for me, i have no idea what it could be. timing, ignition, or misfiring maybe? no freakin clue

Comment

sounda like it could be anything..
      ok here is what I would check for..

mixed up plug wires
      check timing
      check ignition
      grounding points
      add new grounds to firewall and engine block
      Change spark plugs
      AFM or MAFS check it(mas air flow sensor\air flow meter)

and if none of this works
      take it to mazda service center or some other shop
      Last edited by JunpoweR; 03-31-2004, 03:44 AM.

Comment

check your air metering system in the intake.

Comment

could be a really plugged exhaust.

Comment

i forgot to put this in.....when i'm in neutral i can rev it up all the way to redline....sorry boout that...i thought i wrote that....

Comment

changin spark plugs and wires within this week...i'll update...

Comment

pull out the spark plugs and see if they are dry.

Comment

if it seems healthy in neutral then its probaly drivetrain related. Is there any noise comin from the transmisson.

Comment

i cant remember if the 92 has electronic spark control or not so if it has a distributor make sure all the wires and or vacume lines are connected the car may not be advancing when it sould

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis
                      i forgot to put this in.....when i'm in neutral i can rev it up all the way to redline....sorry boout that...i thought i wrote that....
                      does the miata have primary and secondary injectors?, ifso it sounds like the secondaries aren't coming on. had the same problem with my fc, turned out i had a vac. line pop off a sensor.

Comment

you say its fine in neutral but runs like *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* with a load? my friend had a problem like that turned out his fuel pump was goin out

Comment

Yep, I was thinking fuel pump too. If everything's normal up to 4500rpm and just starts to get worse, you have something that's limitting you. Basically, it could be something like a clogged intake(very dirty air filter?) or a limit on fuel flow(bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter) or something with the exaust(clogged in some way?). High reving in neutral doesn't take much effort. Under load is when you're going to see a strain on some part of the system. You just need to figure out what. I'd check the fuel system first. I assume you replace your air filters regularly or use a high flow one like a K&N or something. As far as exaust, I've never been aware of exaust getting clogged up unless rodents deside to make residence in your exaust, lol. "a banana in the tail pipe?" (Eddie Murphy) lol.

I'd look at the fuel pump and fuel filter, my guesses.

Comment

yea, turn's out spark plug's and wires were fine, i guess i gotta check fuel now...the exhaust is fine and the intake filter is brand spanking new...or at least, that's what it looks like....so i guess fuel is the next step, new fuel filter...here i come

Comment

could also be a plugged cat too, in my previous miata my problem turned out to be a clogged up fuel filter.

Comment

Working...
                              X