toe rod or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toe rod or what?

hi. this is my first post here on the drifting.com boards, but im not really gonna go into any kind of introduction or anything. ill talk about myself later or whatever if anyone cares, but right now i really, REALLY need a question answered.

see...i just ran my 240 into a curb a few minutes ago. that car works all fine and normal, but the alignment is WAY off. when i got back home, i inspected the suspension parts to my front wheels and noticed one of the bars down there was really bent.

i dont really know what it is, and thats what im here to ask about. the thing im talking about is the bar that, when your under the car, is to the rear of the car compared to the control arm. closer to the center of the car it also has some kind of compressing rubber housing or something. anyways, what is this thing called? is it the toe rod or what?

also, how much would it cost to get one of these replaced?

big thanks to anyone who answers.

inner tie rod........remember inner cause if yousay outer your talkin abotu the lil ball joint that connects to the hub
    and price realy depends on what you get, you can get like tein tie rods but they will cost you, i just replaced mine after a curb accident.
    my advice would be go with stock, i cant remember off the top of my head how much it was but it was fairly priced, i think like 30-41$ ?
    and that rubber housing is your hub boot,
    both are pretty damn easy to disassemble/install, youll probably need some special tools for the tie rod, auto-zone can help you there, and remember to get an allignment after wards.

Comment

30-40 bucks eh? doesnt seem so bad...now i just havto get the money. thank u very much for your help.

so what would i have to do to install a new tie rod? what kinda special tools would i need to get, and about how much would those cost?

Comment

Id replace them with some anjustabel tie rods. All you need is sockets to replace them.

Comment

the tein units are 80$ and it also sayd 80$ for the tie rod ends( the ball joint connected to the hub) and they are adjustable
          and for the jic thier 225......im going to assume thast for both and they come with the tir rod ends, but with jic.....they could just be realy over priced.......the price for one for astock one for an 89 (my year) 240 is 30$ thst with out the tie rod end, so whatever year yours is i would think it would be similiar if not the same

thats all i looked, im sure theres more out there, and if you can find adjustable ones for a good price than go for it, though i know nuthin about adjusting them or what will happen but im sure a mechanic would know

Comment

i needed some special tools
            i wen to auto zone and rented the, i think its called the saginaw tie rod tool and then theres another like tube tie rod tool you would need to get, its realy pricey to rent but you get all your money back when you return the tools, for me though it was sourcing the cash to rent em,

Comment

peice of cake I just changed one on the mountain.

Take the coter pin that peirces the castel nut at the hub and ball joint out.

Lossen this nut to where the top of the nut meets the top of the threads on the ball joint. Using a hammer tap the ball joint loose then remove the nut.

There should be a twisted wire that holds the boot over the center rack. Untwist the wire and pull the boot twards the ball joint.

Get two big cresent wrenches and loosen the inner tierod unscrew the unit from the center shaft.

Now do this exacty in reverse and take it to an aliment shop your done.

Comment

hey, thanks for all the help guy...all this info will really help me out when it comes time to replace those tie rods

Comment

Working...
                X