Turbo Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Maintenance

Hey whats up guys. I was just thinking this over and I really wanted to know all the things that I need to do to keep my turbo live and boosting. I heard that oil builds up in the turbo and causes it to work bad and that you should use a boost controller with a turbo to let it cool down and spool up and work well but I don't really know too much on the topic. Any good info is good. Please don't give lame a$$ answers that don't make sense and please know what your talking about. Thanks!

OK, first of all boost controllers don't keep your engine running to cool it down. A turbo timer does that and so does just sitting and letting your car idle for a minute after a run. Boost controllers, whether manual or electronic, cheat pressure away from the wastegate,"tricking" the turbo to produce more boost. "Spooling up" is not really the main thing you're interested in with a boost controller but rather the amount of pressure it is supplying. often, the more boost, the more lag, but not always. the gain setting on electronic boost controllers can help this, but that's a whole different thing. regarding keeping your turbo happy overall: using oil catch cans can help out with keeping excess oil from being routed back in (i'm soo close to buying one but am reluctant to pop $90 for one with my hard saved $). Turbo timer is great, and don't forget to let your engine warm up. that way your oil has the best lubricating properties possible. hope this helps but honestly i think you ought to dig a little deeper for your info. study automotive systems and read manufacturer's product descriptions and it'll be pretty self explanitory. boost on!

Comment

Just want to add to the great post above.

Choose your oil well. Look at the turbo manufactures recomendations as well as you engine manufacture recomendations. Some people swere by synthetics and others mineral based (like out the ground stuff) you should choose a oil that is compliant with both as well as grades. A heavy oil may slow your turbo do to heavy oil on the berring. and a light oil might not supply your engine berrings with sufficiant lubrication. We could talk for ten pages easyely about oil.

I built a jet engine with a truck turbo the thing is huge. With regular sae5w20 the thing wont spool up freely when I light it up. I actuly found some jet aircraft oil and the thing screems. Now working on the after burner. Engines are fun but when you can break the sound barrior in you front yard then your learning.

Comment

about the oil catch can thing, you dont need to drop a ton of money to have one, they just look pretty. All you need is some kind of can or someting ( my friend uses a paint can) and some tubing. Drill holes into the top of the can, add some kind of nipple to attatch the hose to and there you are. It just has to be something in line between the valve cover and the intake, doesn't matter what it is as long as it wont melt and it wont let any oil into the intake.

Comment

DX, what kind of engine did you use? As a side note, since you love to get technical with other people, you can't actually break the sound barrier in your front yard or anywhere for that matter unless you're moving.

Comment

Install an oil cooler

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cat
              DX, what kind of engine did you use? As a side note, since you love to get technical with other people, you can't actually break the sound barrier in your front yard or anywhere for that matter unless you're moving.
              What could you speek up please im hard of hearing yea I know but its a turbo I built into a jet engine the thing screems. Dont know what rpms its tuning yet still working on the photocell to get an acurate reading but hell how many guys own a jet engine little lone built one out of scrap.

Comment

Man I'm 99% sure if I tried to build a jet engine it would explode. What do your neighbors think? I was thinking it would be cool to only turn the jet engine on during holidays and rev it up to let them know how happy you are. Your neighbors will love you!!

Comment

Yeah havin a jet engine in your yard is tight I need to do that!

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                    Man I'm 99% sure if I tried to build a jet engine it would explode. What do your neighbors think? I was thinking it would be cool to only turn the jet engine on during holidays and rev it up to let them know how happy you are. Your neighbors will love you!!
                    I dont know I can never hear what they are saying. And yes you can blow up doing this. Does 5 foot crater help in the analagy. I started with propane for fuel, now Im running strait keroseen and Im lovin it,

Comment

i saw videos of ppl who put turbo jet engine on go karts and run them around......kind of a waist of money by the looks
                      but who can say they have a jet kart?

Comment

^ I have two jets on the back of my plane, does that get me any bragging points? haha

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cat
                          ^ I have two jets on the back of my plane, does that get me any bragging points? haha
                          2 if you made them 1 just for having them

Comment

Working...
                          X