suspension question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension question

hi im new to all this and i cant really afford to get a really expensive coilover system.. so im looking into lowering springs and ill just upgrade later on... my question is if i get lowering springs for my car(1990 240sx hatchback) do i need to get shocks too? would it still lower my car with the stock shocks? or do i need to get new shocks? thanks!

Re: suspension question

Originally posted by newkidontheblok
    hi im new to all this and i cant really afford to get a really expensive coilover system.. so im looking into lowering springs and ill just upgrade later on... my question is if i get lowering springs for my car(1990 240sx hatchback) do i need to get shocks too? would it still lower my car with the stock shocks? or do i need to get new shocks? thanks!
    yes it will lower your car. Are you just every day driving or do you have plans for some crasy stuff. The problem with just springs is that they lower you shock pistons into the tubes farther thus changing thier fluid equalibrium on the top and bottom of the piston. This can cause faster shock fade and can lead to bottoming or cavatating them which would render them almost useless. A lowered shock and a lowered coil would be best to keep your piston biasses equal.

Comment

You dont need new shocks, but it is reccomended. But if you plan to get new shocks, get a full coilover system.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas
        You dont need new shocks, but it is reccomended. But if you plan to get new shocks, get a full coilover system.
        from Speed Alliance

Comment

Originally posted by emission
          from Speed Alliance
          Yes, goes without saying!

Comment

I'm curious on the suspension aspect. Is there a place where I can just order a specific rate spring of a certain length? Say for my car, I want to up the spring rate 20% but keep the same ride height. I'd have to have a 20% short spring to accomplish this. Could I go to some manufacturer(don't know who) and ask for this specific thing? The same goes for shocks. Could I have shocks made at specific dampening rates, maybe tuned for specific compression and rebound dampening rates? The same goes for sway bars, maybe a 7.5kN front sway bar and a 2kN rear sway bar. I'm just picking numbers, but could I get those specific rates for any car? Is the car suspension industry that advanced?

I know with any amount of cash, you can do pretty much anything you wanted. I'm asking more in a general consumer sort of way. Any guy off the street could get very specific components, not prebuilt packages. Is this type of customization available? (at a reasonable price of course)

On the shock thing, I don't think you'd need a new shock if you want the same dampening. Of course, if your spring rate goes up, you should raise your dampening rate too, othewise, your car might get a little bouncy with inadequate dampening. The range of motion shouldn't change. Full height and min height is the same correct? The springs doesn't affect this. Also, how does the shock position affect shock life? Why would it matter how much fluid is where?

Comment

Id call JIC

Comment

Working...
              X