Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA18DET...just some questions

How well does this engine perform?
    Is it just as good/better then the SR20DET?
    Are there many mods you can do to the CA?

Not a bad motor at all. Maybe not as strong as the SR, but it still gets the job done. Only downfall is that you'd be giving up displacement, and every little bit helps. Nissan pretty much over-engineers all of their engine designs.

Comment

In terms of power output, it only gets out about 175 hp stock compared to the SR20DET's, 205-220 hp stock.

But in terms of strength in durability, the CA18DET can take a beating. The block is made out of iron compared to the aluminum sr20det, and the valvetrain of the CA18det is stronger. In fact, the skyline RB engines were based on the CA engine.

The only problem with it is that since it's an old motor, it's harder to find parts for it than it is for an Sr20Det. Yes, the parts exist, they're just a little harder to find. You have to do some research and find some people who can get CA18DET parts for you, should things go wrong.

Other than that, it's a good engine. High RPM redline at what... like 8000 or 8500 rpm? It's one of those. I myself wouldn't mind having a CA, except I'm still considering building my stock KA24De.

Comment

The CA18DET is not a high reving engine. The RPM limiter cuts at 7200 RPM.

If its maintainend properly the CA18DET engine is a reliable and tunable engine. 2,5" Exhaust with decat-pipe, FMIC, better fulepump, Chip, Open Air filter should give about 230 reliable hp's.
        A oilcooler is alsow highly recommended.

My brother has a 180sx (or 200sx as its called in europe) and is a member of 200sx Owners Group Sweden. Lots of people there use Saab intercoolers and home built exhausts. That makes the tuning real cheap.

If any one is interested in Tuning Chips for the CA18DET engine e-mail this guy dabido@telia.com he sells chips for about 100$

My brothers 200sx has a home built exhaust, Wallbro fulepump and a KN-57i Open Air filter kit.

A picture of my brothers car

Comment

that's a sleek lookin car he has there, thanks for the info guys

Comment

CA18DET all the way!

SR20's are good for boat anchors IMO.

btw: almost every part to rebuild the CA18 is availble at autozone/napa/advanced/pep boys, etc. ever hear of the nissan pulsar? yep, same motor except for the cams and one gasket. sr20 is a lot harder (and more $$$) to get parts for.

Comment

here is a good forum post on the subject:

http://driftcentral.com/forum/showth...=&threadid=105

Comment

Does anyone have any sites or anything like that that have to deal with aftermarket CA18DET parts? I would love to see some sites that did.

Comment

http://www.norrisdesigns.com/

Comment

I love the Ca its a hard workin little biatch. One thing I would like to point out for performance on any Nissan that is almost always over looked is the Mass Air flow sensor. To do a real power upgrade this needs to be taken car of. I am currently useing one from a Z32 and its seems to work great.

Comment

240sx.org they have some threwads about ca18dets

Comment

Good strong motor. We can get you parts, there not that hard to find.

Comment

the CA can rev higher because its a cam on bucket design which means it is more resistant to valve float than the SR, which has rocker arms which can cause valve float at high rpms. Removing the rev limiter, there are guys who have been up to 8800 rpm without blowing the engine. I don't know where SR guys get parts, but you can get almost all the parts for the CA from all the CA engines released in the US. the 200sx and the pulsars had types of CA engines and all of them use a lot of the same parts. Neither one has a problem concerning strength unless you are going to be pushing the envelope. Something about the head bolts breaking or coming loose under lots of boost. Very overlooked engine compared to the SR.

Comment

2 things:-

1 I had a CA18det in a S13, stock it would rev cut at around 8000. I fitted a custom T28 (S14) and ran 17psi all day every day on premium unleaded, stock cooler and a hint of pinging. Eventually my water pump failed, cracking the radiator and seizing the engine. Next day it started. Had the engine rebuit - the bores and pistons were good?!? but the rings went soft and the head warped. After a nice rebuild with chrome rings it was 17psi every day again

2 I just read a comparison in a Zoom? magazine, and they compared a worked sr to a worked ca. True the CA has a crap turbo - most wont hold 15psi past 4500rpm but theses engines were worked. The dyno graphs were very similar with the CA down a few percent accross the board CEPT for mid rev which was even. They said that in driving the CA needed more revs while the SR had more down low. I have rebuilt a SR before and they are a tractor motor, made cheap and powerfull to impress but not to last. Who in there right mind makes a twin cam with a single row timing chain like the SR?? at least the 2TG/3TGTE had twin row. And to skimp out - the SR has 4 lobes per cam and a V shaped rocker to push 2 valves per lobe - very unreliable at high revs. All the SRs used in production car racing etc use different purpose built heads. The angle of entry through the ports is supposed to be another concern - probably why 3SGTE has always pushed bigger numbers then the SR.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnySlick
                              CA18DET all the way!

SR20's are good for boat anchors IMO.

btw: almost every part to rebuild the CA18 is availble at autozone/napa/advanced/pep boys, etc. ever hear of the nissan pulsar? yep, same motor except for the cams and one gasket. sr20 is a lot harder (and more $$$) to get parts for.
                              actauly they are quite different... I looked into that as a conversion for my car. the CA18DET is my dream engine for the Dat. but I couldnt; afford to import one. so I thought what about a pulsar engien with the DET manifolds a VG T3, and a CA20E 5 speed... turns out our CA is a far cry for the DET, the DE do not have soem important parts that the DET has, including but not limited to, piston oil squirters, much beefier forged rods, and lower compression with stronger pistons.
                              (I'm tryign to remember these off the top of my head) and there were a few more things. I was very dissapointed to say the least. had to settle with a KA.
                              Last edited by ///FiveOneOh; 01-04-2004, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X