Rolling fenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling fenders

Anyone have experience doing this? I need to roll mine a little to fit my new 14x8 wheels. What tools will I need?

BTW here's pics of the wheels. One is in the process of being restored.

I kinda like them without the little bolts. What do you guys think?

two ways to do it. There is a tool that you bolt onto the hub and roll them with, they cost like 300 bucks. and you need a heat gun to save the paint.

This is a little hillbilly style but it works.

Get a small baseball bat. Like little leauge size. put the fat part in between the tire and the fender. Throw some wheight in or over the wheel and slowly roll the car forwards and back. the taper on the bat will roll the inners. you might need to pull on the bat alittle while its moving to get the inner to roll over.

Do this slowly and you should bo alright.

Comment

well, I was thinking of trying that but I've already cut out all the tabs and stuff so it's smooth metal on the edge. I wanted to roll it out so the fender continues its curve instead of having that flat part on the side. These are 1985 fenders so no trim to deal with

would the baseball bat trick work for this or is it just to roll the tabs in?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by aphxero
        well, I was thinking of trying that but I've already cut out all the tabs and stuff so it's smooth metal on the edge. I wanted to roll it out so the fender continues its curve instead of having that flat part on the side. These are 1985 fenders so no trim to deal with

would the baseball bat trick work for this or is it just to roll the tabs in?

Thanks,
        It might if you stand it up between the fender and the tire. Other wise go for the tool it will do both

Comment

hey driftxtreme,
          I'm asking you this cause i'm pretty sure you know your bodywork. What is the best way to paint a car? It seems like the best way i could do it would be to just clean the car really really good and then just paint over it. is it better to sand it down to the metal first or what? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by OkinawanHCR32
            hey driftxtreme,
            I'm asking you this cause i'm pretty sure you know your bodywork. What is the best way to paint a car? It seems like the best way i could do it would be to just clean the car really really good and then just paint over it. is it better to sand it down to the metal first or what? thanks
            is it beat. If it is you will need to repar those spots. Then if the paint thats on it is in good shape you can scuff it with grey scotchbrite and kitchen clenser you will want to doit with water to. All you need is a dull surface for adheision. You could also do it with 800# p grit wet paper and water but you need to becareful of finger lines if you dont use a block and also paper scares. When I do full paint jobs I use the scotchbrite first then paint right over it after of course masking and using wax and greese remover.

Comment

you wax the car before you paint?

Comment

do you have msn messenger or anything like that?

Comment

you wax the car before you paint?
                  no waxing is not a good Idea if you want the paint to stick.

Comment

so what and when do you use the wax and greese remover on?

Comment

what kind of paint you planin to use. As there are varying thicknesses. if you got alot of little pits and what have you then a thicker paint like an enamel will help fill in any imperfections. Like finger lines as DX mentioned. Definitly sand the whole car with about 220-240 grit, Use a chemical cleaner(ask a paint shop what to use), Prime it, then get some spray paint of a contrasting color and put a VERY light spary on the primer(your going to use that as a guide for your wet sanding, When you've sanded off the spray paint then you've gone far enough, to far and you'll go through the primer) Wet sand with somthing around 400grit , Chemically clean again then paint. Very important that you try to keep the area you paint in to be dust free otherwise all kinds of stuff will fall in the paint.

And definitly wear golves when you sand. As you will sand the skin off your hands if your not careful. You won't even notice it till your bleeding from all your finger tips cause it happens so slow.

Comment

There's a import mag out(green hatch on cover). It shows you how to roll your fender with a couple of different hammers, a torch, and the baseball bat method Driftxtreem was talking about.

Does anyone know where you can get a fender rolling tool here in the U.S.?

Comment

so what and when do you use the wax and greese remover on?
                          Dude I get 30,0000 yen for a solid color complete.

36,0000 for metalic

42,0000 for candie

52,0000 for candie and flake

and 80,0000 for a mazorla

Most of my paint jobs have made it to the magazines and I won a trophy at SEMA for a paint job I did. To sit here and give you explicit instructions would take to much time and would also not put anything in my pocket.
                          Last edited by driftxtreem; 04-22-2004, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soarer,chaser
                            There's a import mag out(green hatch on cover). It shows you how to roll your fender with a couple of different hammers, a torch, and the baseball bat method Driftxtreem was talking about.

Does anyone know where you can get a fender rolling tool here in the U.S.?
                            I dont now where but they are 30,000 to 35,000 yen here

Comment

"Batting it" is probably the most effective and cheapest way to roll your fenders.

It's a drift car, ain't it? It's gonna get smashed one of these days...

If you want a super-fancy roll job (although I will not condone anything super-fancy) you caould have a body shop roll your fenders with a bolt-on tool for less than what it would cost to buy the tool.

Ordinarily I would say to get the fender roller and do it yourself, but you can't use the thing for anything but rolling fenders! It's not like an enigne lift, which you can use as a hammock for your dog or man-hole cover remover or floor-joist puller...

-MR

Comment

Working...
                              X