SR20 Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR20 Motor

I'm pretty much new to this so please bare wit me. I am currently in the market for a 240sx(95-98). I've heard people doing swaps with the SR20DET but some are telling me that the KA motor? is better to build up and turbo it. What do you guys think? and another thing is....i was tryin to see if my buddy can get me a SR20DET motor for *cheap* but couldn't. But he told me he can get me a SR20 motor.....im assuming that is non-turbo and was wondering if that motor is any good. Thanks for your time. PLEASE HELP!

Go ahead and post in this thread, we have two of these threads going around presently

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...2200#post52200

And dont get me wrong, i believe every application has a specific engine, and we all have different preferences, But your first question should be, why do you want a sr20 in it. If you cant awnser that well, then you really dont need a motor swap.

Comment

I would stick with the SR20det if you can get one due to the fact that they have alot if mid-range torque and there are plenty of bolt-on parts available.

Comment

i wanted to swap a SR20 in there to build it up and turbo it, but then i guess i can do that with the KA24. I'm just getting a good deal on the SR20 so i figured i can build that motor up and still drive on the KA24 while the SR20 is under construction. what do you guys think?

Comment

the KA makes for a more ideal turbo situation. 2.4L and a cast aluminum block. Many say it's a pos for turboing, but they haven't felt one in real life. It's as easy as finding the exhaust manifold for a KA and the SR, cut off the flanges off the KA, weld them onto the SR and use the stock piping. Tap into the oil pan for a oil return line, tap from the oil filter assembly to the turbo to get the oil to it, coolant you can tap from the intake manifold. Use water injection into the intercooler piping to keep your engine from detonationing.

SR is a good rev happy engine. However, it lacks the low end that the KA has. It can rev higher, but just because it can rev higher, doesn't mean you'll spend all day there.

I see you've an s14 also, greddy makes a bolt on kit for your car. That's the easiest way for a good power gain on the KA. use that as a base. The sr swap into a s14 gets expensive. The wiring job alone (which is recommended for any sr into a s14) is difficult and can cost on average 350. Assuming you're looking at a s13 sr20det, you're looking at roughly 2k, that's assuming all your parts are there, working, and you don't encounter any further problems and no other upgrades. the sr gets expensive real fast. I learned that during my rebuild of my blacktop. If you plan on getting a fmic and so on, it'll be quite expensive. think about your budget and figure out how much you're willing to spend on the motor and the other parts necessary for the motor you'll be getting to run properly and reliably.

either way you'll have to invest in a fuel pump. walbro's are cheap at 90 on ebay.

Comment

Either way you go you will spend atleast 3g's. GReddy has a new turbo out for the KA and thats like 2500 and the intercooler is like 1500. the SR swap would be like 2500 for the motor and 1500 for install. the GReddy turbo is like an equivilant to the SR.

Comment

If you do some research, the KA can be turbo'd for about 2000 and make a reliable 225+whp (just so we are all clear, the KA is an iron block). The SR stock installed into a car by the buyer themselves will still run 2000+$ for the motorset and all electronics and make under 200whp stock. It's really very simple, although if ultimate horsepower numbers are your thing, and you got tons of money, the SR is the way to go as there is little aftermarket for the KA compared to the SR. For those of you on a budget, look into a KA turbo over on the NICO forums, very good info.

Comment

yeah....what he said....lol

Comment

lol oops caught my typo. yes the sr is aluminum and ka is iron. which is what I was going to put but put aluminum while thinking of the sr. lol my bad

Comment

Hey Where's my SR20DET FAQ stickey that was up for like five months? Whoever took it down better realize I spend alot of time writing that, but not as much as all the time spend replying to uninformed people's questions...

Comment

bloody yanks

Its a FRICKEN 180SX i hate the idea of calling it a 240SX sounds all wrong. Plus RB's r better than SR's especilaly in a 1100 kilo R30

Comment

i agree with u r32..240sx sounds terrible. glad i have a silvia

Comment

Working...
                        X