drift car and setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drift car and setup

hello everyone. this is my first post on the forum. i am a newbie to drifting but i am very interested. i'm willing to practice a lot to get the skillz. anyways, i'm looking for a nice cheap practice car to start out with. i have two dumb questions but would appreciate it if you could answer them.

1. ive been doing some reading around the internet and it looks like the 240sx is the best way to go. what do you guys think? any other cars? (im looking at a practice car that i can crash without feeling that bad lol. something around 2-3k)

2. what is needed to drift a car? can it be done stock? is the lsd needed to drift? i just want to know the minimum amount of mods to be able to drift

drifting caught my attention because it relies on skill. plus watching some drifing vids of kazaa, i think drifting looks sick and way better the ricers going in a straight line.

welcome!

first off let me say that you're doing the right thing by asking questions. it's easier to learn from others mistakes than make your own and cost you both time and money.

however let me warn you, drifting is expensive and can be dangerous (more so when you're first learning). you WILL break stuff, you WILL wreck, you WILL spend lots of money just keeping your car running and safe.

now to answer your questions:

1) What kind of car?

240's are good cars, lots of guys and gals use them, and there is lots of parts for them....but that's not the only cars that will work. basically any rwd car will work and if it's a straight drive you'll be a lot better off. don't get a car w/ an auto. (unless you plan on doing a swap or something right off the bat). i had a 1988 5.0 mustang 5 speed b4 my car now and it was hard to drift...but it could be done, just a major handful and a lot of work. after i sold it i was looking at the 240's and drove some and just didn't like them...didn't feel right to me. i drove a miata/mx-5 and loved it! so that's my current drift car i'm working on. my buddy has a FC rx-7 and that's a great car too! just try to find something that you feel right in....drive lots of different cars and find the one you like, not what someone else says or not a car just b/c it's popular. do what is right for you.

2) What is needed of the car for drifting?

A drift car is such because of it's suspension. when you finally get a car, the first thing you should do is fix everything that is broken (lights, tie-rods, brakes, bushings, shocks, etc.) to make it safe. but as you're doing so upgrade (stiffer shocks/springs, urathane bushings, better rotors/pads, ect.). just make sure your car is safe and drift worthy. a drift car really needs to be a manual tranny car (make sure the clutch is in good working order), and RWD or FR setup. drift cars need tight suspension, but this can be upgraded later. if the stock suspension is not busted then you can learn on it (stock suspension is also more forgiving)...but like i said if it's broke and you have to fix it....upgrade in the process. you'll need a good "drift" alignment, with 200 or 300 treadware tires up front and 300/400 ones in the back (performance up front, all season in back basically) also, a lot of people say you HAVE to have a L.S.D. (limited slip differential)....but you really don't. can you drift without it? sure. does it look as good or is it as easy? No. a L.S.D. allows you to hold your drift longer, and helps it to be smoother and easier to initiate. but if you don't have the ca$h up front you can add this later.

basically, a RWD car in good running condition that's safe, w/ a manual tranny and you're in business.

hope this helps, ask plenty of questions (no matter how dumb they may sound) and do what feels right for you.

Comment

hey man thanks for the reply. the info will help me out. oh yea i got another dumb question. is drifting illeagal? i mean if cops see me in a empty parking lot drifting, will they give me a ticket or somethin? lol might sound dumb but i hella dont wanna get a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by spraypa1nt
        hey man thanks for the reply. the info will help me out. oh yea i got another dumb question. is drifting illeagal? i mean if cops see me in a empty parking lot drifting, will they give me a ticket or somethin? lol might sound dumb but i hella dont wanna get a ticket.
        yes it's illegal...and if the popo's see you in a parking lot you'll get busted for reckless driving at the very least plus all the citations they can write for stuff "wrong" to your car (ie, illegal exhaust, lowered too much, tinted windows, clear lights, etc.).

the drift competitions are legal at the tracks though.

just use common sense and be safe ok.

Comment

ah yes the question of the day is it legal, sceems to me that, drifters as a community of people need somewhere to drift, and do it in a legal, safe inviroment, i'm all about legal, and i'm all about safe. Call me a pansy if you will, but if i'm gona go fast I want be safe. What really persauded me to do so. Is this weekend I was racing my friend in his 88 conquest on the freeway, about 110, and a jeep cherokey pulled out in frount of me. Scared the dog crap out of me, so street racing is done for me. So where can we do this legaly? I don't consider myself a drifter, but I want to be able to say I am soon.

Peace
          Ted

Comment

Originally posted by 85starion
            Call me a pansy if you will

PANSY

Comment

Like to add more information on tires...

using all seasons tires to start is okay, but it's not helpful to learn how to drive faster and drift closer to the level of drifting for competition.

At the mininum, run all season highperformance tires. They actualy can last longer, and won't chunk as easily as cheaper tires.

For people with more experience, from stuff like AutoX, open track events, at the minimum run summer high performance tires.

Why better tires? more control, feed back. Cheap/junk tires spins too easily, and wont have the feedback that helps teach drivers.

On the subject of teaching, this is highly suggested by folks that actually go drift in events... LEARN to drive first.

Learn to drive your car with it's stock suspension at the limits. That will make you, the driver much, much better.

A modified car will have much higher limits, requiring higher speeds, etc. For a beginner, it will be too much, and you will be in way over your head.

Also, don't think of drifting as drifting. Drifting is an extension of road racing. It's a technique used with low traction condition. To better learn in with this approach, compete at your local AutoX, and run in open track events.

What this does is to allow you to learn the proper racing lines for corner entry and exit.

Did you ever noticed that the top level drifter in Japan also road races? Ever notice the lines they take for entering a corner while drifting is a full up racing line? Notice how they clip the apex, and exit on a proper racing line? That's because like I said, drifting is an extension of roadracing...

For me to get into drifting, it was a smooth and fast transition. I've done many open track events in my S14. Started out with a stock car, then progressed down the road with more power, more suspension, more tires, etc.

then when it comes to getting into drifting, I used my roadraced setup, and went into drifting like it wasn't a big deal...

Comment

yeah...good points!

Comment

hehe you called me a pansy hehe

Comment

Originally posted by 85starion
                    hehe you called me a pansy hehe
                    so you have a starion? how you like it? those things are kinda' quick right? never been in one before, but see the around on occasion.

Comment

well, this is my second starion, my first starion/car, was a 84 es, flat side. The one that I have now, has 95,500 miles on it, I picked it up for 500 bucks, put tuned it up with accel ss coil and 8mm's ngk plugs k&n, once I got it running right, I intercooled it seeing as though the pre 85.5 starions did not come intercooled, I am useing a 87 starion intercooler and 86 pipeing and air box, then I had my friend install a hks fuel cut defender, and am running between 13 and 15lbs of boost on a 12a turbo. It's not the fastest car under the sun, but it does ok, right now its hurting for a new clutch, the stock hp on my car is 146, and my friend that has been working on starions and conquests says its putting down about 180rwhp, and about 240rwtq, but the stock 225mm flywheel and clutch wasnt designed for that kinda power, once i dubble the boost it was a done deal... sorry for the long posts guys

peace
                      ted

Comment

Originally posted by '97 S14 SE Turb
                        Learn to drive your car with it's stock suspension at the limits. That will make you, the driver much, much better.
                        exactly. my first time out to drift session only thing i had was spare tires/wheels (well and a spin turn knob, but that doesnt really count).

nice to see the white bunny laying down the law.

Comment

Working...
                        X