Differential Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential Question

Have any of you guys ever had experience with Detroit Locker type diffs. for a Ford 9"?

I'm not too familiar with the Detriot Locker, but will ask my friend today.

The Ford 9" is mostly a drag-use differential with ultra-low gearing for maximum torque and less top end speed. The Ford 9" has a reputation as being bulletproof and is pretty much the benchmark of the domestic differential world. I've never heard of a 9" being put on an import, and although I'm not sure why I think it's because most of the import motors are designed for more high-rev horsepower rather than low-end torque (with exception of maybe some of the big-bore Subaru motors, but they're AWD anyway) so it would kind of be tuning for the opposite result.

What is your application, or are you just curious?

I hope this helps. As I find out more I'll post more.

-MR

Comment

Well i drive a 73 ford f-100 with a 9" rear. ive got a stock open diff. and im thinking aobut picking up a detroit locker from summit for around $450. I know they are solid but i dont know anyone that has one and ive never drove with one. I just replaced the rear end seal a while back and i just got to thinking bout getting one.

Comment

They're pretty reputable and are most definately in the same league as Ford 9". In Magazines like Car Craft, Detriot Locker and Ford 9 seen to be fairly equivalent in terms of quality and reliability.

-MR

Comment

if you want one i've got a lsd alread set up in a 9". $75 + shipping

Comment

just so we are clear, a ford 9" is the actual rear end of the car. A detroit locker is a type of rear end, like a clutch type lsd, or quaife. There are Ford 8" and Ford 8.8"rear ends, they are not a type of diff, just like the 9".

Comment

the 8", 8.8", 9"is the size of ring gear that can fit through the hole in the housing. the locker is a way to have both wheels turn at the same time, like a lsd. the diferance is the locker turns into an open diff when going around a corner(most of the time), and a lsd don't. the thing that all my friends have had problems with is the lockers locking half way through the corner and breaking the axle. and on a 9" that sends the axle flinging across the intersection. in my book that's a bad thing!

Comment

right, but comparing a ford 9" and a locker is not right because they are different things. Yea, lockers are pretty much only good for drag racing and there is absolutely no slip inside the diff when going straight.

Comment

I know the difference between a differential and the rear end. while i know they are more along the lines of a drag diff., it still seems like a viable option for my rear. Have any of you had any experience YOURSELF?

Comment

I am also considering an Auburn LSD.

Comment

I have had little experience with a locker other than what buddies have done on the track with their muscle cars. I can attest to their ability to make both tires spin, what more do you want. Aparently hirolla has had some buddies snap some axles around a corner, makes sense. I have a lot more experience with a common drifting diff like a clutch type.

edit heehee
                      Last edited by raging panda; 05-17-2004, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
                        73 ford f-100
                        -MR

Comment

i have had some experience with them(mostly bad), mainly from my rock crawler buddies. only time they ever had a problem was when they drove it on the street. the locker locks and snap goes the axle. i geuss it really depends on what you really want to do with the truck.

Comment

Working...
                          X