Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how low is low enough

everyone likes to drop there car right?
    i was just wondering cuz i hear that if u leave enough room for 3 or 4 fingers to fit in the weel gap den its better den when u slam the car.
    can sumone tell me how it effices your handleing?
    (i dont mean slam as in as far as it can go)

Its a balance. When you lower the ride height you are changing the geometry of the suspension. The goal of lowering the ride height is to lower the center of gravity. But if you lower it too much, then your geometry can get messed up, and you might be limiting the stroke of your suspension components. So its a balance. You want to lower the center of gravity as much as possible without adversely affecting your geometry and dampening abilties. How much is too much? It all depends. Alot of people use trial and error, but it takes alot of time and sometimes $$. Also keep in mind that there are products you can buy that will correct the geometry when the car is lowered. If you have access to these parts (or if you can make them hehe) then you can lower the center of gravity and retain the proper suspension geometry. For my Camaro these would be things like Lower Control Arm relocation brackets (for the rear LCA's), or Adjustable Tie Rod End Links for the front steering linkage to prevent bumpsteer. Not sure what they make for your car. Most of this stuff applies when you have fully adjustable parts that offer more adjustability than "street" stuff. If you are referring to a set of street springs which are usually between 1 and 2 inch drop then you're geometry should be OK. Its only when you go extreme that things start to get tricky.

Comment

Shim everything!!!

Comment

shim??

Comment

As an example of what Crazy is saying, usually the lower you go, the more negative camber you gain

On Honda double-wishbone suspension (just about all Hondas 1988-2000 I think) a rule of thumb is that if you lower it 1" you will gain 1* of negative camber angle, 2" = >2* and 3" is about 4*. (*=degree)

Strut suspensions will have extreme camber gain when lowered because there is essentially only one control arm. If you get coilovers or adjustable camber plates you can usually "dial-out" the camber, but if you go lower than the camber plate will allow then you're pretty much stuck unless you get shims or modified LCA's.

If cars didn't have suspension, the lower the better. You lower the center of gravity which helps reduce roll, lift and dive as the rate of rotational inertia (how quickly the car will body roll).

However, since roads are not all perfect and cars are on suspensions, you have to lower it enough to still gain some low COG benefits but at the same time maintain correct suspension geometry.

It's going to be different on every car, but the 3 or 4 finger rule-of-thumb (har har) is about good as long as your tires are the same size. This usually means about 5 inches (IIRC) of ground clearance without a body kit installed, which will be enough to get you over most speed bumps, potholes, and driveways.

If you're interested about the subject at more depth, you should take a look at the sticky regarding "How to Make Your Car Handle" and some of the books I've posted about in there, particurlarly the Don Alexander book (now entitled something like High performance Suspension Handbook).

Hope this helps

-MR

Comment

Let us not forget that the suspension needs to travel adequately, allowing it's job to be done, damper and control are key. If i remember correctly, a person looking to lower their car without a thousand dollar setup, just aftermarket springs and shocks/struts, would encounter less problems lowering no more than 1.5", as far as camber, caster, toe &travel..etc.

Comment

Thanks fer all da info

Comment

Not sure about low enough, but I know what too low is. Too low is when you can't get your car into the driveway without scraping the hell out of the lip. My S14 was like that when I first got it.

Comment

Yeah, my CRX is lowered 3" and has about 4* of camber and the toe is way off now. Whoever had it before me put in some H&R lowering springs and destroyed the geometry of the suspension. That is way too low....

-MR

Comment

Working...
                  X