Give me some suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me some suggestions...

I need to know some cheap modifications I can do to my KA (dohc) to make it somewhat better for drifting, My radiator sucks and Im going to replace it this week cause god knows I rev the hell outta it when I drift and I dont wanna blow my headgasket overheating it..I havent drifted for like 2 weeks cause of this But, Are there any mods I can do at home for cheap (or free ) to boost a little performance and\or make the engine a little tougher to put up with the pressures of drifting> I dont have much money at all right now cause my hours have been cut back until the second week of june..So please dont post any thing that costs alot of money to do. Thanks for any help.

NAWS

Comment

Haha.

Well you can do the basics. Filter, exhaust, etc

Comment

Camber the wheels.

Comment

Word! I couldn't agree more with Alex P. My KA is pretty much stock, aftermarket parts are expensive, intake and exhaust setups can be over five bills+, with small power gains. You might look into changing up your timing, but don't expect major gains.

Comment

Remove your Y pipe and go to a better replacement air filter. that opens the intake up pretty well few extra horse power. Advance your timming, just enough to get away with it on whatever gas your already using it. Theres a few more horse power there. You can remove your AC Compressor for free power, though im not entirely sure whats involved there. if you have alittle bit of money a 3 inch intake and 3 inch cat back exhaust really helps the KA breath alot better. You may want to look into a hi flow cat. Dont know how much power you can make there but old cats can hurt performance, so a new one will help out.

Anyways you can get some extra power threw those way. I know people say 3 inches is too big for a NA KA, but i've seen dynos. it helps them alot, one guy was putting down like 14 extra horse power with a 3 inch exhaust, from his baseline that was stock + a intake.

Also underdrive pullies can help out. but once again those things cost money.

Comment

3 inch is way to big for an na car. Prove the dyno sheets. Lets see some copies. I'll call your bluff on this one. I can go into great lengths on what your exaust actually does and how you make hp with it. Given on a stock motor you may make hp but usually you will loose overall performance.

What most people forget when they get on the dyno is that the peak hp really doesnt matter. What you should be looking for is a good torque to hp curve durring the rpms bands that you are actually using. Getting an average is more important then peak. And in drifting, you need to keep a less peaky and more flat, quick responding power band. This is why i say keep it stock. 10hp isnt going to make you drift better and a super loud exhaust is only going to draw attention.

The AC doesnt take any power if its not on.

Save your money and buy suspension. This will give you the most gains and less tickets.
              BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

here you go...

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

at the time of me posting this i think that site is down.. but its been around a number of times He makes power in more then just the top end, good all round power, and good top end, really picks up where the KA tends to drop off. Its pretty impressive for a NA exhaust upgrade.

Yes im aware of how an exhaust makes power. The idea being you size it just right so that the exhaust volecity stays pretty high so the speed of the exiting exhaust will create vacuum that will help pull exhaust out of the chambers. Thus helping to create more power. Perhaps my wording is off, you will have to forgive me it is pretty late.

Anyways the trick is to find a balance. To small of a pipe and the gasses will get restricted and wont be able to move out of the pipe quick enough. Too big and you will miss out on the scavenging effect i was describing earlier. However when you think about it. a 2.4 liter KA makes alot more exhaust then lets say a 1.6 liter 4AGE, due to its displacement, i know guys tend to say 2.25 or 2.5 inches for exhaust is the way to go. but i dont see how one size can be perfect (considering the balancing act of back pressure and scavaging you are looking for) for a 1.6 liter, and the same size be perfect for a 2.4 liter. add in completely different head designs intake manifolds exhaust manifolds and the whole 9 yards and its possible, just possible the old rule of thumb doesnt apply to that specific engine. (i know you know how exhaust work, im just going threw it for my self)

Of course the topic of this is thread is what can he do to be a better drifter. But he also seemed to want to know what he could do to get some more power. I was just tossing out ideas that he can consider to create extra power. Extra power however will not make him a better drifter by any means. Only seat time will do that.

I hope that URL is working because that Dyno graph is very impressive assuming its not been doctored or anything along those lines.

EDIT: Freshalloy is having some problems tonight it seems. but give it a try in the morning if nothing else... ... Ah back up now.. well whatever

Also the guy who created that thread Mav1178 has recently joined our forum, Perhaps he can comment further.
                Last edited by nissanguy_24; 05-19-2004, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Mav is another one of the Alex's at the d day events and i know him personally. I was wrong, maybe a 3 inch exhaust would be worth it.
                  BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

my question mark is broken

Well I think im gonna buy some tein springs, strut bars and a new radiator with the money i do have..I might look into doing that y-pipe and air filter thing too though nissanguy24..Got any more info on that for me>

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
                      3 inch is way to big for an na car. Prove the dyno sheets. Lets see some copies. I'll call your bluff on this one. I can go into great lengths on what your exaust actually does and how you make hp with it. Given on a stock motor you may make hp but usually you will loose overall performance.

What most people forget when they get on the dyno is that the peak hp really doesnt matter. What you should be looking for is a good torque to hp curve durring the rpms bands that you are actually using. Getting an average is more important then peak. And in drifting, you need to keep a less peaky and more flat, quick responding power band. This is why i say keep it stock. 10hp isnt going to make you drift better and a super loud exhaust is only going to draw attention.

Save your money and buy suspension. This will give you the most gains and less tickets.
                      Im not really looking for more horsepower..Im more so looking for things i can do to the ka to make it more durable for cheap and maybe get some better throttle response. I dont wanna mod my ka alot, I plan on eventually doin an sr.

Comment

It's more weight in the car though.

less weight = better P/W ratio ~ having more hp

I agree - suspension or a differential will be good for the life of your car, whereas performance parts will be wasted if you ever do a swap.

From my experience 3" exhaust (when made with the correct length of primaries, etc) can be very healthy for the big-displacement 2.4l KA

-MR

Comment

I just saw you're in St. Pete - take your car down to Secret Services and have them help you out.

Matt is the resident drifter there and is running a KA24DE with a welded diff (last I heard from him) and totally rips it up!

He comes off as being kinda... not friendly, but is really a great guy and would be willing to help you out if they're not god-awfully busy (which they usually are).

-MR

Comment

Maintenance is the cheapest way to go. You'll add significant HP.
                            Keeping your car cool and lube.
                            triple checking on leaks, the hose and wiring. Make sure your up to the game when it comes to your engine. When you rev high all the time you'll never know what's going to snap or leak out.

Example. I keep a close eye on a rear seal (it's a slow leak) on my rotory engine. I dont want to invest the time and money to fix it, because ill replace the whole engine anyways. But I keep a close eye on it. just in case.

oh yeah! GROUNDING! geez! everybody thinks about HP, but with the proper wiring you'll be suprise on how well your call will perform! more responsive! better idle! better MPG.

Comment

Working...
                            X