hicas steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hicas steering wheel

ok, so i was looking through the old posts about hicas, and i read that u cant replace the steering wheel on a hicas 240sx. is this true? theres NO way to replace the wheel?

the steering wheel? wth? You can stop hicas from operating, dunno what that's got to do with the steering wheel. The above can be done with hicas eliminator kits that bolt up to the bottom of the suspension in the rear

Comment

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...s&pagenumber=2

ae86shinchu said u cant change the hub because of the sensors. i know u can stop hicas by using one of those eliminators.

Comment

oh, and another question. can u still swap in an sr20 with a hicas car?

Comment

yes, dump the hicas thing up front when you're swapping. If you have a look at how your steering wheel is mounted, you'll see that there's a spline and a nut on it. A couple wires and what not. That's the common thing for most cars and I seriously doubt that the hicas models are any different. The sensors can be removed, and other things can be done to make it fit. Chance of nissan forking over the $$$ to make a totally new steering unit are pretty slim, so I'd still put my money on able to change the steering wheel after you pull the sensors off if there are some behind the steering wheel. Make sure you pull the harnesses and what not for the hicas unit in the engine bay as your ecu might throw a code.

Comment

I think what he means in the original post is hicas works on steering wheel sensors and inputs.. If you change the wheel Hicas wont work. I dont think he means the wheel wont come off. though it sounds that way.

Comment

ooh, i get it. so what would happen to the hicas if u swapped out the steering wheel? would it tweak out or something, or just not work altogether?

Comment

Im not sure. It seems hicas needs to know where the wheel is pointing in order to know where to move the rear wheels. With out inputs, it probably wouldnt work. but it depends on how the system is set up.

Comment

seriously alot of guys I know have at least disabled hicas with most removing it since it can be a little unpredictable at times and makes it a bit of a liability to them. Personally I'd just want the system out to increase milage by lowering weight.

Comment

so what would be involved in the removal of the hicas system? if u know..

only reason im asking so many questions about hicas is cause theres an MT 240 i have a possibility of getting, but it has hicas.

Comment

check out a 91+ fsm and that should give you the differences, the steering shaft has sensors on it for hicas, the ps pump, the lines for the ps, lines that run to the rear, and then slap on a eliminator bar on your rear. It's a bit of work to get a hicas to non hicas form. consider getting a non-hicas model seriously but try to get the guy to sell the diff from the hicas model since that's got the vlsd in it. lol

Comment

They're all the 4-bolt pattern, you just have to make sure you have the right offset...

-MR

Comment

Working...
                        X