ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain pro drift car steering linkage setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain pro drift car steering linkage setup?

I know that some of them have modified the tie rods, etc. to get more steering angle. Can someone explain what is actually changed and how this works?

Thanks

The tie rod is the same length as the OEM piece, but there is either a longer throw or no stop at the end. From what I understand, the tie rods have little stops mounted on them which determine what the maximum steering angle will be. By moving or eliminating these stops, it allows for more steering angle. Allowing for too much steering angle can cause the tires to rub the insides of the fender or wheel well, which is bad...

-MR

Comment

on my car a s13 silvia,
      unbolt the inner rack end and remove the lock tab and put in a 6mm spacer and add heaps of locktite, repeate on the other side and it gives you 4 degrees more steering angle,
      perfect for when your just a little too sideways and need to catch it.
      another one to get rid of bump steer i got some aftermarket tie rod ends that spaced down the end that joins the hub and totally eliminated my bump steer.

Comment

the dont actually physically lenghten the tie rod, but they bring it out a little like drftns13 did. It means that at full counter steer lock, you will have more angle to your front tires which means that you can have a more aggressive angle and still control it. There are physically lenghtened rods i believe but not sure for what cars. Apexi physically added more teeth to their tie rods on the drift FD.

Comment

I'm no pro, but what I did for my track only car was cut back the steering stops on my A-arms while measuring to make sure there would be clearance as far as rubbing up against the frame. This was recommend to me by some fellow F-Body enthusiasts. I then got a different set of front wheels with different offset / backspacing that gave me even more inner clearance, so I cut the stops back even more. But now if I use the stock wheels it will rub, so gotta stick with these aftermarket wheels (which is fine with me). For my street/track car I cut the stops back enough for maximum turn with the stock wheels.

Comment

Every car is a bit different.

S13,S14, put spacers or aftermarket inner tie rods and add castor.

Ae86, switch to non power rack with power acherman arms, and add spacers.

FD, Apex actually makes a drift specific rack that you can buy from them, they machine extra groves into the rack and use spacers.

FC, there are long extensions to use on the inner tie rods. Only seen one set so far.

GTO, Viper, well they remachined the upright and moved the location of the outer tie rods. And I know the GTO also moved the rack location. They get about 60 degrees of angle.
            BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
              They get about 60 degrees of angle.
              I'd love to see that GTO at 60 degrees of attack :drool:

-MR

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
                Every car is a bit different.

S13,S14, put spacers or aftermarket inner tie rods and add castor.

Ae86, switch to non power rack with power acherman arms, and add spacers.

FD, Apex actually makes a drift specific rack that you can buy from them, they machine extra groves into the rack and use spacers.

FC, there are long extensions to use on the inner tie rods. Only seen one set so far.

GTO, Viper, well they remachined the upright and moved the location of the outer tie rods. And I know the GTO also moved the rack location. They get about 60 degrees of angle.

hmmm, i wonder where......
                \
                anyways, the viper gets about 48 degrees, and yes, the GTO does get like 60 degrees of angle!!!
                -Don't forget the struggle. Don't forget the streets-

www.driftalliance.com
                www.clubloose.com

Listen to Motley Crue

Comment

spindle gears are replaced to give 1 1/2 full turn lock rather than 2 1/2 ful lock

the arms a re same size just angled sligthly diffeent but depending on brand of aftermarket arms you can adjsut length which is easy way

Comment

Originally posted by widebodyhachi
                    spindle gears are replaced to give 1 1/2 full turn lock rather than 2 1/2 ful lock

the arms a re same size just angled sligthly diffeent but depending on brand of aftermarket arms you can adjsut length which is easy way
                    serious? where can i get these gears? lol. that sounds allot easier than how i work the steering wheel now

Comment

You can either find an aftermarket supply or transfer a box from a nother model but chances are your local nismo, mazspeed, trd watever you own shop can point you i nthe right direction

On my AE86 GTV I already have the fastest steering box out of all of the AE86's but with adjustabel steering rods I get a lot earlier turn for oversteer but they were custom made like most of my AE86

Comment

Altho the spindle gear idea sounds great for drifting and throwing the steering wheel around, for daily driving Id advise against it. sneeze on the highway at 75 mph and you'd be off the road and in the ditch.

Comment

Working...
                        X