What's a camber....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a camber....

What's a camber arm and what does it do? is it important for drifting?

Camber is the degree of slant with in the tire, \ <like that, inward is negetive outward is postive, I think correct me if im wrong.

A camber adjustment tool helps you adjust camber degree to a certain extent, WAY WAY back in the day, people could pick out the drift cars because of they're gigantic negitive camber. and huge deep dish rims.... (^-^) No its not extremely important to drifting, "the monster isnt the car, its the driver"

Comment

Welcome back Panda man!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think with more negative camber, the tire's contact patch is bigger when you're countersteering.

Comment

Well, with negative camber, when you take a hard turn the weight is going lateral. If the wheel is actually slanted then the contact patch is actually larger when going around turns as its angled to counter the weight. I'm not sure if it helps with countersteer because your just rolling the wheel in the direct the car is sliding. I might be wrong though. It'll help slide out the back though while keeping the front in place.

Comment

A camber arm is usally a rear upper arm that allows you to adjust your camber angle.

From JIC

Comment

to answer your question, as Chas said, camber arm most likely refers to an adjustable suspension part that allows you to adjust the camber settings. on a 240 or silvia, this would be a rear upper control arm. On the front, a camber plate that goes between the strut tower brace and shock absorber or coilover. In regards whether this is important for drifting, in the beginning it is probably not very important that you have it. I have Rear aupper control arms because I have coilover that lower my car. when you lower a car, it increases the negative camber of especially the rear wheels. This is notalways what you want, and RUCA's are the best solution for this. More negative camber in back can actuallu make drifting harder, whereas more in front causes your front tires to have more "dig", traction and control, which is good. Obviously in the rear you dont want max traction for drifting. Keep in mind that camber alone is not the only issue, as toe/bump steer/caster are also important when considering suspension setting related to ride height and camber.

Comment

Working...
            X