KA24DET vs SR20DET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KA24DET vs SR20DET

many people dispute that the sr20det is supperior to the KA-t. but i think a built KA will equally rival, if not outpower, a built SR. heres what ive come up with:

-KA has .4 more liter of dispacement=more potential torque which is very important in drifting/
    -KA has iron block oppsed to SR aluminum adding strength and resistance to warpage.
    -KA will spool a larger turbo faster than an SR
    -KA ends up only being 3-5 lbs heavier than the SR installed.

i really cant seem to think of anything the SR is better at.
    once again this is in refernce to built motors,not stock.
    ive always been a fan of the KA and never saw it as "the crappy USDM counterpart"
    i dont know everything about either, so please feel free to oppose with solid info from either KA or SR.

well the SR has shiny red valve covers! thats why its so GREAT

Comment

you are right except for the KA actually weighs about 100lbs more than the all aluminum sr. Still not a big difference. I am very biased since I think its stupid to spend 2500 on a stock engine just to make 185whp instead of improving what you have for 2500 and make 250+whp. Only time I would consider SR is if I had a ton of money and ultimate horsepower is the goal, the SR has a much bigger aftermarket that the KA cant compare with.

Comment

that is too too true.
        and i belive also that 2500 for stock SR vs. 2500 worth of built KA
        you will have a better motor with the KA, thats what im planning to do. but i have to get the motor in the car first...

Comment

well im going to be building a KA this summer for my 240. so far here whats on the list:
          CP/Wiseco forgd pistons 8.8-9:1 compression
          OEM/Nismo race bearings
          JWT cams and valvetrain
          ARP head and ain studs
          not too sure on the rods....maybe just shotpen them because aftermarket are so expensive.
          greddy turbo kit

i wanna be in the range of 280-320whp daily driver. ill keep you guys posted cuz ill be getting parts in about a month.

Comment

The only thing to consider is the fact that the KA was never designed to be turbocharged or support anywhere near that much power. So make sure your fuel system and all the little things are up to the taske. Though it seems like you understand that.

As for the KA being vastly superior to SR, thats really not the case. both are good Motors. the only real advantage the KA has is the displacement, but thats all stroke. Look at any top race teams and see how long there strokes are.. there usualy pretty small. Its not really nessisary to have a long stroke with stump pulling torque on a race motor. You make power at the top and you use your gears to keep it in the power band. Now a drag racer is going to want some low end as well as good top end, because its one of the few forms of racing where they start from a stop.

Anyways im going off on a tangent. To me the SR does have some advantages over the good old KA, the biggest one is (ironicly) its difficult to find a low millage KA in america, at least around me. You can buy a rebuilt motor, but thats basicly going to run you the cost of a SR if not more. If yours is in good shape then its another story. But most guys i know are running pretty high milage on there KA how is. Often time someone like in my case, will look into a sr20 after they lose there KA. Stock turbo SRs are pushing 250 wheel horse power with various bolt ons. check out Nico for some guys with very impressive dynos from those engines. a sr pushing 250 with there stock turbo has quite a good power band. and im going to assume virtually no lag.

Speaking of lag that brings me to another issue. KA turbo kits.. they usualy run bigger turbos then im looking for. there designed to make like 400 hp and so.. if thats what you want that is great.. though i would be weary of pushing a nearly stock KA or SR to 400 hp. But especialy the KA considering it wasnt designed for boost in the first place.. Another issue the KA has higher compression ratio. and though its not awful by any means, Its just another thing to consider.

You could argue that it can cost you very very little to custom make a turbo setup with whatever turbo you want.. Well perhaps our friends who have welded and have access to a pipe bender can easily fabricate up a turbo system. Its not something a guy like me can easy do. Dont really have access to the equipment or the experience.

The thing is there really isnt any big cost difference between the two. And where im at i can get a lower millage SR.. Also the SR has a square bore and stroke, which is what i prefer in an engine. Theres nothing wrong with the KA. especialy if you need or really like that low RPM kick in the pants. I am a nissan guy, and i do like all nissan engines, and think they are all cool.

But it distrubs me when i hear this new trend of.. and forgive me if this isnt you, but its what im hearing... "Why would people even want the SR?? it sucks, the KA is by far superior, they just heard the KA sucks in a magazine, so there ricers, im not a ricer, i dont read, thats why i like the vastly superior KA"

Honestly the only advantage the KA has is its already in your engine bay and it has more displacement. Personally i think the rb25 is cooler then hell. it has more displacement AND a shorter stroke... but there expensive and not light. not the cheapest thing to slip in and make work great.. but if you had the money and experience it would rock.

In my case the KA is in my engine bay, but doesnt work. The Extra displacement though apealing for all reasons that we like extra displacement (i usualy side on the side of extra displacement) is all gained threw stroke. Which kind of puts it off for me.. Im a high RPM kind of guy i supose!

Anywas just remember there are alot of guys out there with different ideas and philosiphies on engines and power bands. Its all cool. None of these engines are Vasty superior to each other (RB, CA, SR, KA) They all have advantages and disadvantages. Its great though because one person can pick the engine thats there preference, making it more personalized. Remember drifting is personal.. Do as you wish, luckily nissan has given us anumber of engine choices to do it with.

Oh the other advantage of the KA is its smog legal for the CA guys.. However few turbo kits will pass smog. So your pretty much screwed either way there.

When its all said and done i want a pretty stock internally SR, with a S15 gt28 turbo running about a bar, maybe 15 psi on a high boost setting (im assuming its near the top of the turbos efficientcy.. i havent seen a compressor map though). Perhaps a small front mount.. nothing big, im really going to shoot for response you know sence i am going to run a 2 liter i want it spooled as soon as possible. down the road i want lightened parts fly wheel, driveshaft, underdrive pullies.. blah im just rambling off my wishlist now.. The point is, im shooting for a mild 250 whp.. any more then that is just a bonus.

(this was a second post but i combined them to one)

Originally posted by URMachines
            well im going to be building a KA this summer for my 240. so far here whats on the list:
            CP/Wiseco forgd pistons 8.8-9:1 compression
            OEM/Nismo race bearings
            JWT cams and valvetrain
            ARP head and ain studs
            not too sure on the rods....maybe just shotpen them because aftermarket are so expensive.
            greddy turbo kit

i wanna be in the range of 280-320whp daily driver. ill keep you guys posted cuz ill be getting parts in about a month.
            That sounds like a cool set up. What kind of turbo do you plan on running? and sence i guess this is a SR vs KA type thread, how much do you think it will all cost to have about 300 whp like you want?
            Last edited by nissanguy_24; 05-31-2004, 11:13 AM.

Comment

that was a good post

Comment

well, you see, SR20's are just more JDM. in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper
                  well, you see, SR20's are just more JDM. in my opinion
                  I fail to see why that would mater.

Comment

I know a guy who made 375whp on a KA with these mods, it was reliable.

T3/T4 Turbo (Similar to the greddy TD06)
                    Ross Pistons
                    Pauter Rods
                    SDS Stand Alone Computer
                    HKS Hiper Exhaust

The greddy kit should be good enough to get the numbers you want, and still allow more room for upgrades(the turbo will be enough to get you around 400hp). It comes with a fuel rail and 370cc injectors. It also comes with E-Manage, a piggy-back fuel contorller.

Comment

good post nissanguy-24. you said alot of stuff im just too dam lazy to type. i dont consider the KA to be superior but i wanted it just to be recognized for its potential. the sr20 is also an awesome platform which i still may consider. i also agree
                      100% with yur preference of a "response" (hense my name Ultimate Response Machines). response is my goal in building a machine/engine. if i were to build my KA, i actually probably would rather use a gt28, as you prefer, which could make killer response and high end for the KA.

As far as stroke goes, im not crazy about it myself. 96mm is very big and cuts down on rev potential. this would be my only reason for getting an SR. im a rev-happy person myself coming from a honda engine backround. id love to rev out a KA to 8000 rpm but thats not gonna happen.

now an SR is a different story. 86x86 is the same Bore and stroke as the k-series RSX motor wich can spin to 8000 stock. all the sr needs is some 264 or 270 cams and valvetrain and it ill be a rev happy monter

sorry if ive mislead anyone to thinking this is a "KA dominates" thread. i like learning the differences of each and prefences

Comment

Nah its cool. Its just a trend i noticed. Its cool though, your not one of them.

The problem i've noticed with nissan fans, especialy S chassis fans is the "my engine is choice is superior to all" thing.. Poke around nico, or basicly any forum with nissan guys on it and you will see what i mean. It doesnt mater what the engine, CA, SR, RB20/25/26 KA or KA+T you get alot of guys like that.

Guys like you and me though we like all the nissan engines, and have different preferences and goals. We pick an engine accordingly. One thing i was going to say in defence of the KA but forgot (long post) was it does weigh about the same as the SR. it may have a heavier iron block, but no turbo, stock for stock there suposed to be with in a few pounds.

And one final thought. i do hear the iron block mentioned as a reason why the CA or KA is superior to the SR. However few of us will ever be at the point where our block is holding us back.

Comment

yea, as far as the strength of the iron KA vs aluminum SR, both have been pushed beyond what any drifter road racer really needs or can handle. Signal proved the SR with a 600 hp s15 and KA's have been big in drag racing from what ive heard making upwards of 500 easily. So the block of both isnt holding back anything.
                          Im building a car with drifting and track events in mind and response as target tuning. it will also be my street car so that is a big key when it comes to turbo, suspension,brakes.

when do you plan to get the Sr nissanguy?

Comment

600 on stock block, jun has surpassed the 900 mark with there hyperlemon s14.

Comment

Originally posted by URMachines

when do you plan to get the Sr nissanguy?
                              With in a few months i hope to have the car back up and running. I am just finishing up a technical school right now and havent been working lately. Hopefully all will go well and i can land a decent job soon and start putting money away.

Comment

Working...
                              X