No announcement yet.

KA24DET vs SR20DET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ahh alright... sounds like i need to source a 96 ecu... anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by raging panda
      Thats awsome, then the KA is lighter than I thought. Someone posted "official" engine weights on the NICO forums once, I took them for fact, but first hand knowledge beats out. I was comparing the KA total aftermarket to the SR total aftermarket, worldwide. The SR is much more supported, but yes in the US each are pretty close aftermarket-wise. I know all about the KA aftermarket, I was in it until I sold my S13. I know you can get all that stuff plus some. It is big, but still nothing to the SR aftermarket where you have complete head packages with rocker arms, cams, valves and springs, coming from 2 different companies. The KA cant compete with that.

That is a big draw I think for the KA, the fact that you can replace your engine, possibly that week, where the SR you are going to shell out some money for another engine, and you might have to wait.
      very true. the sr does have more options for the headwork. but then since you were on NICO (i go there too) you must've seen those site sponsors. some of them have head packages for the KA also.

it all pretty much comes down to preference, thats what i think.

i think if youre just loaded with cash then you can get an sr and get the HP way up there. but just like all the domestic car guys "any car can be fast with turbo". wich, in a sense, is true. :P

Comment

Originally posted by '97 S14 SE Turb
        Greddy's system is CARB.

NSport's S13 turbokit use to be CARB as well, when it was sold by Bell engineering. This kit came out back in '92... Yeah, that long ago...

For states that does OBDII testing, KA+T is the only way to fly. My car is 100% OBDII/emission compliant. Passes emission on first try. No codes etc either.

How? JWT tuned ECU that is...
        I was under the impression greddy's kit was only carb pending.. It was sold for the s14.. though i dont image theres much difference between that and a set up for the s13.

So to clearify is your car california legal?

Comment

It's Federal/Arizona legal.

I don't live in California... thank goodness...

Comment

Originally posted by '97 S14 SE Turb
            It's Federal/Arizona legal.

I don't live in California... thank goodness...

Lucky man... yes if your outside of our state things change abit..

Comment

Here in Az, our emission testing is done by State agency. Video cameras everywhere.

Not like Cali, where you go to a nearby gas station and give him 2 benjamins.

Our testing, even for OBDII cars like mine, involves a road simulator up to 35mph for the tailpipe test. (Toughter than stationary idle tailpipe testing).

Then there's the visual inspection for cat, charcoal canister, evap system etc. They don't care if there's added turbo, as long as all equipment is still in place.

Then they do the gas tank pressurization test. and then lastlyl, plug in the OBDII computer...

Fail any one part, get to come back and try again.

Comment

that's brutal..

Comment

35mph test? geezus. thats crazy.

Comment

I say they stop launching shuttles and make airplanes run on hydrogen...

Comment

Yeah, and the owner have to stand in a glass booth during all this.

The guys doing emission testing drives the car, following a load schedule on the computer. On my car, since it's setup for midrange, the guys always have problem keeping it out of boost.

Comment

Wow, that blows. I was wondering why you were making so little power. Not that Mid 300s is low, but for what you've put into it, it seemed a little low, but alas full exhaust and emission system. Ouch. But thanks for all of the info and experience. I've now had two friends that have lost rocker arms inside the head of their SR. One happened wednesday. So reliability is a problem with the SR, which is a huge problem cuz you can't just go pick up parts, which is like the worst thing in the world for me. The starter in my 240 went out and I was ready to sell the car cuz I had to replace it. It was only a day fix (I had to pull it, put in a new one that didnt work then pull that one, go pick up another, and put it in) but a day without my car makes me angry, so much worse would be any problem with an SR.

I've seen at least two CARB LEGAL!!! kits. I don't memorize company names, but I can look em up if somebody needs em. That's with CARB E.O. #. Granted you can't turn up the boost but still. 220 legal hp for a $2000 turbo kit, or 195 non-legal hp. for $2000 then labor. Also, you wouldnt have to shell out money for new pistons, in case that is a complaint. Machine shops will shave your pistons for a lower compression ratio for $45. O and a T28 or a KA is a little small.

Comment

O and a T28 or a KA is a little small.
                          hmm, maybe my goals arent what you are looking for then. the gt28, at max efficiency, can crank 350hp. thats more than i really ever want and stil maintain the awesome spool-up for its size. im not looking for more than 270-300whp.
                          just curious, why you would say its too small??

Comment

I didn't say its TOO small. I just said its a little small. A gt28 on a 2.4 L engine will be at 60% at about 2k rpms. I realize that you want response but you could go with a bigger turbo and get the SAME response, just because it (being small) has to work harder (turns faster) at all rpms. Making durability, heat, and friction bigger factors since you will see max efficiency so often.

Comment

Unless you know what your doing, i would not try to piece together your own kit. In the end, it may end up costing MORE then a premade one.

Comment

hachiroku-fc3s- i understand what you mean and may go with something bigger in the end but either way, the bottom end is going to be rebuilt with forged internals so that isnt much of an issue.
                                what turbo would you recomend for what im looking for? and max power around 6500-7000?

Comment

Working...
                                X