No announcement yet.

20b swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your putting in the LS1. then corner weigh the car, before and after man. I would love to see some hard numbers on that, weight and distribution.

Comment

I didn't mean two turbo'd rotary. I mean a car with one rotary in the front and one in the rear. You can turbo a carb'd rotary. Does it really decrease power that much to have a carb instead of fuel injection? Should take up less room. Shall I find some pics of blow-through turbo setups?

Comment

ok ill say it again.. i prefer 2 rotor with a bigh mofoo SINGLE turbo...i dont like twin turbos couse those drink makes your engine drink the fuel like a mofoo drnking a beer on the desert...

Comment

putting an LS1 in an RX7... thats losing half the spirit of the car. Sure, it makes a lot of sense on paper, but you lose a whole letter in the car's name. Dont do it, save the "R" man...

Nawww, its your car, and after 4 engines, id be pretty fed up too. Did you ever run a single turbo on any of them? It just seems like sacriledge to me. Getting those weight numbers like nissanguy suggested would be interesting tho, especially the distribution.

The rotary still has a bit of evolution to go thru til it can be compared to the most modern piston engines in terms of performance AND reliablility, but then again, we collectively have had approx 110 years with the piston (even more if you consider the basic piston idea in steam engines) while only about 60 with the rotary engine. plus, its just cool to be able to brag about smoking your friends with an engine half the size of theirs

Comment

I wonder how the LS1 will affect your weight distribution front/back. Would it sit futher forward than the 13b? As for the piston/rotary evolution, you also have to think how many people each year after year make a different type of piston engine, how many companies are making variations of the same engine, while only a handful of people have made different variations of the rotary engine. If only 1 engine came out per year as an evolution, it would be like the piston engine had 1000 years of experience compared to the rotary's 60.

Comment

Originally posted by raging panda
              I wonder how the LS1 will affect your weight distribution front/back. Would it sit futher forward than the 13b? As for the piston/rotary evolution, you also have to think how many people each year after year make a different type of piston engine, how many companies are making variations of the same engine, while only a handful of people have made different variations of the rotary engine. If only 1 engine came out per year as an evolution, it would be like the piston engine had 1000 years of experience compared to the rotary's 60.
              you've never seen an ls1 have you? it would be way further out than a 13b. hehe.

Comment

as an avid rotor head and owner of a 93 mazda rx7 you dont need a 20b at all unless ur a serious track driver or drag racer, or have way to much money.

to put a 20b inside an fd ur lookin at 15-20k plus depending on where you goo, trust me u dont need 600+hp in a 2700lb car at all.

plus i hope u dont plan on drifting the 20b powered mazda lol thats a whole new ball game

Comment

Ghost why not just go to a single turbo setup? and concentrate your mods on cooling? cooling seems to be the problem alot of rotary, especialy FD drivers complain about.. im sure getting it under control could help out alot, especialy with all the little problems associated with it.

Or just going to a turbo 2 motor? whatever is easier. Unless you have your heart set on much more power. in that case obviously more displacement is where its at.

Comment

I have the cooling as licked as I am willing to go without radical steps.

TWCf3cf3ccfs the single setup aint gonna save you any gas, matter of fact you would probably use more seing as how odds are the turbo someone slaps on there is going to be pretty big. All you will do is cut down weight, cut down heat and increase lag on a sigle set-up which aint too bad in my opinion.

As for the LS1, it will sit forward but the decrease in weight is supposed to keep the car's 50/50. Again this is according to Hinson supercars and not my actual facts. But, you WILL increase the reliability of the vehicle and that is what the biggest problem is with FD's. Plus parts are cheaper, more readily available and sheap, small add ons make a big difference on an LS1.

It's a trade off and since I am not a purist in any way, shape or form, it may just be my trade off. I'll probably sell it though soon as I get the engine done.

Comment

Ghost, we've been through this. But you missed something. HUGE TURBO=good gas mileage. If you don't have enough exhaust to push any air into your intake, it runs like a non turbo car=good gas mileage. I once saw an 850 hp supra that got like 25 mpg. Keep the revs lo and you still get what you want...push it, and get more. That's the beauty of import performance. 850hp ls1=4 mpg

Comment

yes.. but that 800 hp LS1 will produce 400 horse power at 3k.. Besides ghost cant keep the revs down.. He does pilot the Ghost of Duluth afterall (coolest name for a car ever)

Comment

Hachi you are right, but will you keep the revves down? I know I sure as heck won't. Don't think anyone else here will either. But you are right, that falls under the same catagory as a 4 barrel getting better gas mileage than a 2 barrel. But the key to that sentence is IF you can keep the revves down, and I don't think you can.

Also the beauty of the LS1 is you don't have te get the revves high to get what you want. Also at 850 you will get much better gas mileage than 4 mpg. Once again, keep the revves down and you will get the same gas mileage as an 850 hp Rotary. Open them up and you will get the a little worse gas mileage than a 850 hp Rotary. But then again, if you are worried about gas mileage, buy a Civic.
                          Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 06-05-2004, 12:41 PM.

Comment

You mean "can't get the revs high." but I'm not gunna argue that. There are too many successful big blocks in auto-x to argue that revs are the most important aspect. But hold on, sell it as soon as you drop the ls1 in it or sell it as soon as you get a new motor in it???? Don't kill it then sell it.

Yeah, I know, and I was also thinking about NA LS1 at 850 hp. idle at 1500 and runs rich there and won't rev past 6k, but you're right, it's all about how you drive. And I wouldnt be one to keep em down either, just didn't want anybody to get things mixed up, though I hope I didn't make a bunch of mag subscribers go "I gotta get a HUGE turbo cuz gas is at $2+" either.

But also, it may read 50/50 on the scales, but it will change the handling dynamics of the car, which will be something YOU will notice. MR s have 50/50 too, doesn't mean they carry themselves like RX7s. You're a driver, you have one of the top driver's cars available, don't go Redneck on us.

Comment

I will agree with you on the handling characteristics. 50/50 don't mean jack from car to car. A 240z may have 50/50 but it ain't gonna be near as easy to slide as a 240sx. Agreed there.

As for killing it then selling it, i'm getting the 13b vacuum nest together then selling it. Have no fear. Also there are v8's that can be built rather inexpensively that can turn 8k rpms safely. All in how you build the beast. Though I agree, nothing turns, sounds or runs like a Rotary. Just too bad they run straight into the ground. But they are fun while they last.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                                I will agree with you on the handling characteristics. 50/50 don't mean jack from car to car. A 240z may have 50/50 but it ain't gonna be near as easy to slide as a 240sx. Agreed there.

As for killing it then selling it, i'm getting the 13b vacuum nest together then selling it. Have no fear. Also there are v8's that can be built rather inexpensively that can turn 8k rpms safely. All in how you build the beast. Though I agree, nothing turns, sounds or runs like a Rotary. Just too bad they run straight into the ground. But they are fun while they last.
                                you know a lot..big fan of you...yeah sounds weird..but its true

Comment

Working...
                                X