How to remove a spoiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove a spoiler

Hey, I have a 1989 240SX FB and the spoiler is getting really jacked up, like the bolts are loose and rusting, but the rest of the car is fine. Just the spoiler. How do I go about removing it? and then what is a good way to fill up the holes left over? and if there is remaing rust on the area of the hatch, how should I go about removing it? also I believe I found some other minor rust spots like bubbles. Do I just sand it down then is there sometype of solution I'm supposed to place on it? or something to protect the spot?

Thank You

use Bondo to fill in the holes and the rust spots. You have to wire brush (there are some wheels you can use in a drill to remove the rust, much easier) the rust away. Then you have to put some sorta rust inhibitor on the on the rust spots. Otherwise the rust will just come back through whatever you put over it. Do all this before you put the bondo on.

Comment

Thanks, but what do you mean by some wheels in a drill? and where can I get bondo? and where can I get the rust inhibitor and what is a normal brand used, so its easier to find and after I put the bondo on? do I have to primer before paint or just paint over with some type of touch up pen or do I have to repaint the whole thing.

Comment

by wheels i think he means lil discs kinda like sandpaper that u put on a drill and use it as a lil angle grinder.
        get that and bondo at pretty much any hardware store

your gonna need more then a touch up pen to paint it id suggest taking the hole trunk lid off and taking it to a paint store and theyll do all the body filler and painting for you if your uncomfortable doing it yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Emagdnim
          use Bondo to fill in the holes and the rust spots. You have to wire brush (there are some wheels you can use in a drill to remove the rust, much easier) the rust away. Then you have to put some sorta rust inhibitor on the on the rust spots. Otherwise the rust will just come back through whatever you put over it. Do all this before you put the bondo on.
          Aww, don't do what this guy just told you to do. No offense or anything. I used to do it like that myself, but seeing how I have since taken an Auto Body class and know the correct techniques I know ways of fixing things that will last longer then a year. Which will happen if you use the method the guy just told you to use. What will happen is the Bondo will absorb the water and in about in a year it will bubble up because rust will form underneath it. So how do you fix it the right way?

First thing is to get rid of them holes you got on your hatch. You can grind and weld the holes up which is the best thing to do, but seeing how you asked this question it doesn't seem like you have the resources or the experience to do this. So go to an auto parts store that carries painting supplies, not just your typical Autozone because they won't have it, and get what they call Marglass, Tigerhair, or just plastic fill that contains short fiberglass hairs in it. This stuff unlike Bondo is completely water resistent and is much much stronger. You can get a little can for a reasonable price.

For the rust you also don't want to use Bondo and a wire brush won't do to remove the old rust if you wish to do a good repair. You want to grind the major rust off and get the rest sand blasted, if you can, or if not just use an electric sander on it. To fill it you want to look for a little bit more expensive specialty filler, called Metal to Metal or All Metal. This filler is fully water resistent and sands off like a dream.

Well that should do it. I guess you can choose to do it the right way or the way that will last a month to a year. I am have been taught by an ASE Master Technician so I think I should know what I am talking about.

Oh I forgot to say good luck and have fun sucking in the filler dust.

Comment

Thanx again for the info, do you have any suggestions on where to get this stuff and how much it costs? I want to do a good job and I can get sanders and grinders, so it won't be too bad a deal, but can you give me a step by step thing? like you stated 2 different types of fillers or something like that fiberglass stuff or that metal to metal, but which one do I use? in what order or do I fill both with metal to metal or do I just use. like starting from the beginning? I remove the spoiler first? then grind? then fill with metal to metal?
            Thanks and sorry if I'm dragging this simple job out too long. I want it done right and good, so I don't have to worry about it.

Edit: o yea the 2 spots of rust are about quarter size and one is on the outside of the passenger pillar. Like dat black thing that connects to the windshield on the passenger corner right by the side view mirror. Is that a bit different to do? or something?

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy
              Aww, don't do what this guy just told you to do. No offense or anything.
              What I told him to do will last alot longer then a month. You have to prime the bondo to protect it from water. Cause water shouldn't be getting to your filler in the first place, So theres really no need for it to be water resiestent. And as long as you use a rust inhibator you woon't have to worry about the rust coming through. Trust me I have bodywork like this on my car that is 25-30 years old.

Comment

Working...
              X