Custom 4AG Turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 4AG Turbo?

Has anyone ever fabbed a turbo kit for a 4AG? If so, what kind of turbine did you use, what problems did you run into, etc... thanks.

Alright, first of all, what 4ag engine is it, because not that they are all really different, but it would help to know what we were working with. The problem I see with having a turbo on a 4ag, is that the engine really isn't big enough to use a good turbo. Don't get me wrong, I love the 4ag, but you would have to go with a really small turbo, and make some custom pieces. Good Luck!

Comment

Yeah, I was counting on fabbing everything. It's just an expirement my friends and are doing on an 85 4AG out of a stateside GT-S. We're thinking of using the stock turbo from an MA70.

Comment

I dont understand what you are talking about using a good turbo, how is one better than another? There is no such thing as a turbo being better than another size wise, it all depends on the size of the engine, the size of the turbo and what you want from it. If you want ultimate horsepower, then a T4 will be huge on a 1.6, but a T2 or T25 would be great for a power boost and quick response. But making around 200hp is a big deal out of that little displacement. He is right about making custom parts because the only manifold i know of was the HKS one, and i dont think they produce that anymore.

Comment

wasn't there a turbo levin. I don't know if it had a similar engine to the 4ag but that would be a good place to start for manifolds and such.

Comment

an eclipse turbo might work pretty well, i think its the T18 or T25, or T22, somthin like that, im not up on my turbo's, but i know it spools like instantly, and its fairly small.....

Comment

What I meant by a good turbo, was one that would make alot of power. Like how you said that a T4 would be good, and it would be, if you kept it spooled up. There is a difference if we are talking about early turbos compared to today's more advanced turbos. Sorry about the confusion.

Comment

More power doesnt mean a good turbo. If you only want to make 180hp, then you dont need a big turbo. A small turbo is good if you only want a little hp and response. Good depends on what you need. I think the dsm turbos goes by a different scale to measure their turbos, like a eclipse uses a 16g or something.

Comment

if you only want 180hp you dont need a turbo realy

Comment

but it will be cheaper and possibly more streetable than a n/a powered 4ag.

Comment

I have an AE101 4AGZE block with AE111 Blacktop head
                      I use a T03E hybrid which handles 400hp max

To work out a comparision divide the cc rating by number of cylinders and comapre with 4AG cc rating will show you about what direction you want to be ie:
                      1587/4=396.75

compare with MR2 3SGTE is just a bit less ie would be a good trbo for around the 2-300hp mark easy

Comment

i have a t3t4 60 trim turbo on a 1.6 and lag sucks but power is nice i dont know much about turbos but a t3/t4 in the 50trim area would be less lag like.

i might be getting a 85 corolla gts and i was thinkin of turboin it for sure if i get one, if i do i can make you a manifold, i make them for hondas right now since that was what i first got into when i got my drivers license. check out neukin.com for what they look like.

do you guys know what the compression is on that engine, closed deck, and about how much power/boost you can make with it, and it has a MAF crap doesnt it... is there a easy was to change over to MAP (what has to be done to do so like the sensor and maybe a diff ecu )? thanks

Comment

dont try and do it yourself, youll hurt you or someone else in the process

Comment

what are you going to be using the car for because that depends al ot on what grade turbo you should use

Comment

Working...
                            X