No announcement yet.

How do u make a car Back-Fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but doesnt no turbo lag help you go faster?

Comment

I am sure it isn't that hard on the engine because think of how much abuse the rally cars have to endure. Usually you win a rally if your car runs strong through all of the stages. So it shouldn't cause that much damage if your engine is built up to handle it. There is this pink FD in the D1 that has it. If you really wanted to know whos car it was I could look it up in my magazine.

Comment

yeah, it was in that import tuner...and the article called it an FC like 3 times beofre an FD

Comment

Spinning the turbo back up via explosion is nothing short of very destructive-yes it's that bad.You have to remember these rally cars go through parts like water(WRC).

hmmm...As for fire,a straight through exhaust should do the trick(on your downshifts and such if the car is turbo'ed).

Comment

Originally posted by RallyGT
            yeah, it was in that import tuner...and the article called it an FC like 3 times beofre an FD
            God, yes. I was so pissed. I think they called it a FD like once and then they kept on calling it a FC. Don't they like proof read those articles. That would be an easy catch because he did it so many times. That annoyed the crap out of me.

Comment

i heard that to get a flame thrower on your exhaust theres a lil kit where u screw a spark plug into the exhaust tip and once the kit is wired up all u do is press a button and some fuel goes through the engine and into the exhaust. this way the engine doesnt actually back fire its just burns unused fuel. still cant be to good to your car and wont gain any hp but ive seen it done on some hot rods before

Comment

People used to do that back in the day with hot rods and muscle cars since their air/fuel ratios are so rich.

Comment

backfire bad backfire bad

Backfires were doom to carburated engines, blew out the power valves and mufflers. Backfires are overrich fuel trim or bad timing. Misfiring is hell on the catalytic converter and valvetrain. Race cars are constantly being rebuilt. They are not built for ecomony and clean exhaust, but built for maximum performance. The flame thrower effect is a fun toy, by all means go for it if that is what you want. I personally suggest not using a misfire system or tune it to misfire. Its just a waste of a good engine, unless that is what you want to do.

Comment

i shoot flames, but that's what happens when you run no emmissions and with free flowing exhaust on a rotary.

Comment

Too Fast.........Too Furious........

Go home kid

Comment

Originally posted by theflatlander
                        i shoot flames, but that's what happens when you run no emmissions and with free flowing exhaust on a rotary.
                        yeah nothing like a rotary shooting flames out it's exhaust.... anybody got any hot dogs?

Comment

i'm sorry for being sucha noob, but waht's the purpose of those miss firing systems anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by theflatlander

haha boy oh boy aint it the truth

scared a girl backfiring today it was funny :}

she thought my car was gonna blow up

free flow + roto = bang woosh flame

Comment

The purpose of the mis-firing system is to keep the turbo spooled up and to eliminate turbo lag. The only problem is theat its does hell on your engine. I think how it works(just a guess) is that it spikes the boost down when you remove he accelerator so a lower level so when the shift happens and the engine rpms change rapidly, the spool down isn't as intense and allow the turbo to match the engine rpms faster, thus eliminating turbo lag. I am not sure, anybody feel free to clear this up.

That has to be qite a sight to see you scare that girl...good times...good times.

Comment

Where oh where, has this ol forum gone, oh where oh where can it be.

K let's clarify.

The old school flamethrowers on hot rods worked by using a manual choke kit and an extra set of coils mounted somewhere in the trunk with plugs mounted into the exhaust pipes. You mounted the coils, ran a wire out of the distributor so that you could get pulse back to those coils and added a kill switch. Then you pulled the choke, richened out the mixture while you revved the engine and then flipped the switch. This killed spark to the engine and ran it to the coils and plugs in the back igniting the unused gas going out the exhaust. This was bad. It would wash out rings and so forth over time. Plus you had to get the position of the spark plugs in the pipes right or it wouldn't work worth a flip.

enter the 90's.

The old way of doing flames wouldn't work on fuel injected cars. So people started running fuel lines out of a motorcycle tank or something else mounted in the trunk. Then they started to add pulse generators as well. Todays kits come with everything to shoot the flame. You have to make sure that you install it right or you could risk kabooming yourself. New kits are not near as hard on engines like the old school ones. You couldn't run an old school setup on an injected car due to the ecu.

As for a misfiring system on that pink FD, I don't know bout that. FD's are so freaking delicate that any mis-detonation would seem to me to be catastrophic to the engine. My car shoots flame and pops when you rev it high. Also shoots sparks out the pipe as well. Maybe you are mistaken.

But if you want it for only looks then man oh man, you must either not have a license or are very bored. This reminds me of the old days of the board. When topics were really out to lunch.

By the way, the record for flame shooting is like 80 plus feet. The guy's name is Joe something. I got his 49 Merc tatooed on my back. Word has it that he plummed military surplus flamethrowers into his exhaust, I don't know bout that but he lays out the flame.
                                Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 06-04-2004, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X