ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got a Miata-What should be done 1st?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a Miata-What should be done 1st?

hey
    i just got a miata, NA of course. Just wondering what should be done to this car to get it to drift better.

Like suspension..., and to get a lil more power and LSD

what should i do?

thanks

get a nice seatizzle....a nice little exhaust...and practice. oh yeah and keep the top down...you'll be ma fuggin pimp...or something

Comment

Re: what should be done 1st?

Originally posted by mr. miata
      hey
      i just got a miata, NA of course. Just wondering what should be done to this car to get it to drift better.

Like suspension..., and to get a lil more power and LSD

what should i do?

thanks
      Keep it stock. Since it's your first time. You'll be suprise how much you've learn from a stock setup, when you get your usual upgrades.
      If you break something, replace it with an aftermarket product. Why replace a perfectly good part?

Comment

e-brakeing

thanks!!

but heres a huge problem i have..., i can e-brake into corners..., but then i have heaps of trouble getting enough power to get out of the corner without going all crazy on the road..,

is this because i dont have enough power?

or

what am i doing wrong?

Comment

I Had problems with this as well some time back, but for me it was just a matter of keeping the revs up past 4k, you know as your pushing in the clutch and pulling the e-brake keep you foot on the gas but not too much because you will loose it when you pop the clutch back out. It took me a little time and practice to be able to do it well everytime. Like i've posted before on some post, the miata is great out of the box, the first upgrades you might want to look into are some suspension mods (coill-overs,spring/shock combo sway bars, strut bars, ladder brace, etc.) When you get pretty good go for some adjustable endlinks that way you can set your car up for oversteer, thats what i did and it really helps plus all the suspension mods but we won't go into that. good luck.

Comment

Re: e-brakeing

thanks!!

but heres a huge problem i have..., i can e-brake into corners..., but then i have heaps of trouble getting enough power to get out of the corner without going all crazy on the road..,

is this because i dont have enough power?

or

what am i doing wrong?
            You mean, you end up doing a 360 or fish tailing?

If you end up doing a 360 @ the turn, that usually means your not countersteeting fast and soon enough. If you end up fish tailing, not drifting or just "chirping" your not entering fast enough.

Or if your trying to turn and it's "PLOWING" meaning understeering (your turning the tires but the car is not turning) your not putting enough weight in the front to initiate the drift. (more weight to the front = more traction to the front and less traction to the rear, this is that weight transfer that everyone talks about).

That's my guess of what your problem is. Just keep at it. and "FEEL" your car, see what it's doing wrong.

Comment

A couple other things that might help out continuing what CRASHDRIVE said, The miata has a really small wheel base so it is snap happy countersteer is really important you have to be quick but don't over do it thats one part i still am trying to deal with you gotta play around with your countersteering, too much and it snaps right back too little and its all over. When i'm steering my miata you kinda have to throw it back and forth keeping a good mid point on the wheel to keep a good drift going. With that said the miata is going to be hard to hang out for a long drift because of it's short wheel base bbut its been done there are a few guys on here that drift miatas i'm sure they will chime in on there way of doing things because all of us have our cars set-up differently so it may vary from how i do it to how they do it. Another thing speed is a big factor for the miata (for me anyway) try going a little faster each time and pretty soon it will come to you just keep on practicing.

Comment

here is what you do first..
                find a FSM, and do the 60K tune up,
                also make sure EVERYHTING on the sus,breaks and motor is working perfect...

Comment

What year and what package is it? You may already have limited slip.

Why are you handbraking into a turn? The Miata is so easy too toss, it should be feint, feint, FEINT everywhere. The only time I go near the handbrake is in a long sweeper like JDM EUNOS said. Learn to left-foot brake as well.

Comment

my advice: be careful with snap-back! this is what was scary for me at first. going into a drift and not making my steering inputs fast enough and at the right times and having the front tires grab and yank the car in the direction of the countersteer.

just work on the amount of countersteer you input and the point at which you start straightening out the wheel.

as for setups: leave it stock and practice that way for a while. but get a rollbar as soon as you can. not just because it helps stiffen up the chassis but also for safety. i know someone who died from flipping their miata. be careful.

Comment

For an LSD try the kaaz LSD.

Comment

the NA8C miatia came with a torsten stock..and an NA RX7 LSD unit will fit so you can swap in a S4 clutch type rear

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter-ex
                          For an LSD try the kaaz LSD.
                          You only need a Kaaz if you have some big power. 94-97 Torsen will do

Comment

thanks for your advice!

i usually enter corners round 40-50 kmh, and then turn hard into the 90 degree corner and hit the gas at or a little before the apex.., then feel the car slide and i only get to counter steer a real LITTLE bit, then the car fishy's all over the place.., totally uncontroled!

am i meant to ride the gas all the way through the drift, that means i will go more sideways and need to counter more? or will it 360?

whats the easiest way to get a cool looking drift??

Thanks heaps!!

Comment

thanks for your advice!

i usually enter corners round 40-50 kmh, and then turn hard into the 90 degree corner and hit the gas at or a little before the apex.., then feel the car slide and i only get to counter steer a real LITTLE bit, then the car fishy's all over the place.., totally uncontroled!

am i meant to ride the gas all the way through the drift, that means i will go more sideways and need to counter more? or will it 360?

whats the easiest way to get a cool looking drift??

Thanks heaps!!
                              E-brake. If you "GUN" the gas, you will do a 360. You said your just countersteering just a little bit. Practice a full countersteer. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X