ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got a Miata-What should be done 1st?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr. miata

whats the easiest way to get a cool looking drift??

Learn how to drive correctly first on a road course. Go to a driving school and learn the basics. Then learn how to drive sideways.l I'd hate to see that Miata in a ditch somewhere.

Comment

full counter steer

how do i fully counter steer? when the back starts to slide out.., and if i fully counter steer i will go straight towards the gutter.., to much gas and i 360..,

argghhh, guess it isnt something u learn overnight..,

should i be trying to keep everything at around 4000 revs? like even when i clutch in, i should try heel and toe to keep it in 4000?

when entering the corner.., i should tun hard.., then clutch a little, bring it up to 4000 and dump the clutch? this gets me the wheel spin..,

then im way way way to scared to fully counter.., feels like i will be directing the car into a pole or gutter,

when fully countered,,.. do i really really REALLY need to stay on the gas?

i have seen guys feather the gas through the end of the drift.., when i try this.. like ease of the gas.., the car gains grip and tosses me towards the countersteer

wat are the key things i should be learning? what are the "important" things of drifting.., like key factors or safety factors i should look out for..?

do you neeed lightening speed steering for drifting.., are the steering techniques which should be used?

do u guys use both hand to drive always.., or do u do that 1 handed thing to counter?

my hands get muddled up and i hit my hands together sometimes.. lol

help please!! what am i doing wrong?

Comment

Re: full counter steer

Originally posted by mr. miata
        argghhh, guess it isnt something u learn overnight..,
        I like this quote. )

What you need to do is not to drift on or next to a gutter, so you dont get scared. I suggest doing it in a track so your far from gutters, walls, etc.

As far as car control, thats for you to "feel" out and find out what your missing. Every driver is different (which make drifting so different).

gas pedal, clutch, brake control, steering control, speed control are something you need to feel out and what you need to find out for yourself.

Im not good at explaining things, can someone else help him out?

Comment

Seat time, and practice driving fast and smooth without trying to drift. Watch Drift Bible if you need an introduction. Don't mess with the setup on the Miata, but get a good alignment. Nobody on a message board is going to be able to explain it to you adequately.

Comment

thanks guys

thanks guys...

gunna go try my new techniques tonight

Comment

Accel off has been the technique that works for me everytime...not having a LSD is a handicap. i usually jus plunge into a corner and let go of the gas as i'm turning in, the rear end begins to slide and countersteer from there, how much youc countersteer depends on how much, and how fast your car i drifting. Like everybody has been saying, get a feel for your car. as for continous drifts that's more weight transfer and keeping the rev's up so u can add power to twheels allowing for continious drifts, but that requires alot of practice and ROOM...lol..i can get 2 drifts but after that it all goes to hell.

as for what parts to get, if you don't have LSD go get a Torsen LSD from mazda, very good lsd's or you can get a KAAZ 2 way LSD for relatively cheap. the miata's suspension already fine tuned for hard driving.

Comment

well you drive a miata. i would think that its more steering work than gas inputs. well thats how it is for me and my 240. but when i had the hachi it was allot of clutch kicking and steering during the drift. entering it was another story. :P

but if you just keep at it, like every weekend at least, then you'll get better. video tape yourself and see what youre doing wrong. i swear that the video camera helps sooooo much. i can enter my drifts with way way way more angle now. you just gotta keep at it.

Comment

yea it's steering work, but it's more weight shift, especially w/ a stock miata. little turds won't loose grip in the rear unless u got heavy weight transition. feinting helps alot, i feint and accel off w/ my miata and she gets sideways....clutch kicing works well to, and so does "power over" to power over it's more enter the cornerand heel-toe 2 gears or depending on what rev your at, and turn in and mash the gas, hopefully your rev's stay in between 4500 and redline that will send enough power to the rear to get you sliding. to do continous drifts...you gotta work on controlling the weight of the miata. It's so light and the 50/50 weight distr. gives it superior GRIP so loosing traction is hard...The miata was born for the touge/auto-x so you gotta remember in touge there's not much drifting going on, it's more grip if you watch carefully, some people drift to get better angels or what not but its more grip.

bah i'm tired...i'll post again and finish this up

Comment

Working...
                  X