v-lsd questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v-lsd questions

I am looking at a viscous lsd for my S13. Should I be worried about how many miles this thing has? Is it even worth messing with one of these? If any of you guys are running one of these, how do you like it? Any info or comments would be greatly thanked. Thanks alot for you time guys!!

forget viscous. Get a mechanical 2-way LSD. Viscous is baby nuts.

Comment

A brilliant and informative post by amejin. All bow.

TX Drifter- The amount of miles doesn't necessarily matter, the hardness of those miles does. That is, if the diff has been used and abused, the liquid inside the diff becomes less viscous and more prone to shear. That leads to a very weak limited slip, although a weak lsd is still better than no lsd. A lot of people think the VLSD is the best beginner lsd; the 2-ways are very unforgiving and your driving tends to be jerky at best for a while. (Not to mention the cheapest 2-ways out there are like $800) If you can find a VLSD in good condition on the cheap, pounce on it. You won't regret it and it'll lead to a much easier learning curve.

Comment

So in all, if I keep fresh, good fluid in it I should be ok? I really dont want to shell out tons of cash for a LSD right now. So I thought I get one of these. Sorta do some homework on it and see what you guys thought of it. Many thanks for the input, GRiD!! I think that I will get it if it dont look too bad. It better than what I have now=NO LSD!

Comment

make sure that if you get the vlsd you'll have to change out the diff oil twice. first time is like a flush. usually these are never serviced.

also youre gonna end up changing that fluid everymonth if you want to keep your vlsd fresh.

Comment

Is 90w oil ok? Thanks alot marshun!

Comment

i have the vlsd. i kinda do and kinda don't regret getting it. i got mine for dirt cheap but my lsd dodn't engage all the time and is kinda scary when you expect it to.

imma switch out lsd's asap when i get the chance.

Comment

Diff fluid has nothing to do with the viscous fluid that does the mechanical coupling.

The viscous fluid is separated from the lubricating diff fluid.
                They are not the same.

A clutch-type LSD is still superior over almost VLSD, but they do cost more.

If all you can afford is a VLSD, go for it.

Comment

Working...
                X